Jon is a senior lecturer in Physical Chemistry with the School of Human Sciences.
Dr Jon Tandy
Jon graduated in 2006 from The University of York with a MChem (Hons) in Chemistry. He then continued at York and was awarded a PhD in Chemistry in 2011. He subsequently undertook several postdoctoral research positions at the California Institute of Technology, The University of Leicester and Imperial College London. Jon was awarded a University Teaching Fellowship in 2018 and is an active member of the London Met creativity in assessment community of practice.
- Concepts in Chemistry CY4005
- Foundations of Physics CY4056 (module leader)
- Physical Chemistry CY5010 (module leader)
- Spectroscopic Methods CY5062
- Advanced Physical Chemistry CY6059 (module leader)
- Atomic and Molecular Spectroscopy CY6062 (module leader)
- Research Project CY6P01
Spectroscopic and computational measurements examining aspects of fundamental chemistry at temperatures approaching absolute zero.
High speed imaging and emission spectroscopy of light flashes seen during hypervelocity (> 3 km/s) impacts replicating asteroids/meteoroids impacting planetary surfaces, allowing an examination of the highly energetic and dynamic chemical reactions.
Developing a new cryogenic source to replicate the icy mixtures (water, CO2, NH4) found on the surfaces of outer Solar System bodies (e.g. Pluto).
- Member of the Royal Society of Chemistry
- Fellow of the Higher Education Academy
- A. Sadoon, G. Sarma, E. Cunningham, J.D. Tandy, M. Hanson-Heine, N. Besley, S. Yang, A.M. Ellis, Infrared spectroscopy of NaCl(CH3)n complexes in helium nanodroplets, J. Phys. Chem. A, 120 (2016) 8085-8092.
- D. Tandy, C. Feng, A. Boatwright, G. Sarma, A.M. Sadoon, A.Shirley, N. Das Neves Rodrigues, E.M. Cunningham, S. Yang, A.M. Ellis, Infrared spectroscopy of salt-water complexes, J. Chem. Phys., 144 (2016) 121103.
- D. Tandy, J.M. Mihaly, M.A. Adams, A.J. Rosakis, Examining the temporal evolution of hypervelocity impact phenomena via high speed imaging and UV-visible emission spectroscopy, J. Appl. Phys., 116 (2014) 034901.
- J.M. Mihaly, J.D. Tandy, A.J. Rosakis, M.A. Adams, Pressure-dependent, IR-emitting clouds in hypervelocity impacts, J. Appl. Mech., 82 (2015) 011004.
- B. Shepperson, J.D. Tandy, A. Boatwright, C. Feng, D. Spence, A. Shirley, S. Yang, A.M. Ellis, Electronic spectroscopy of toluene in helium nanodroplets: Evidence for a long-lived excited state, J. Phys. Chem. A, 117 (2013) 13591-13595.
- J.M. Mihaly, J.D. Tandy, M.A. Adams, A.J. Rosakis, In situ diagnostics for a small-bore hypervelocity impact facility, Int. J. Imp. Eng., 62 (2013) 13-26.
- J.M. Mihaly, A.J. Rosakis, M.A. Adams, J.D. Tandy, Impact ejecta and debris cloud behavior using laser-side-lighting, Procedia Engineering, 58 (2013) 363-368.