Professor Lijun Shang is a Professor of Biomedical Science at the School of Human Sciences.
Professor Lijun Shang
Professor Lijun Shang is a Professor of Biomedical Sciences at the School of Human Sciences. Before moving to London, he worked at various universities including; Lancaster University, University of Oxford and the University of Bradford. He has a PhD, MSc and BSc and is a Fellow of the Physiological Society (FPhysol) and a Fellow of The Higher Education Academy (FHEA).
Professor Shang’s research mainly focuses on ion channel in health and disease. He also studies biomedical and clinical applications of biomaterials and nanomaterials, and other broad biomedical sciences research. Recently, he expanded his research interests into biological and chemical weapons and science convergence. His work has wide collaborations nationally and internationally.
Professor Shang teaches various modules within Biomedical Sciences at both undergraduate and postgraduate levels.
Professor Shang has published over 80 journal papers, contributed to over 60 conference abstracts and edited three books.
Journal articles (in the last four years)
- Whitby S, Dando M, Shang L. Dual-use research needs international oversight. Nature. 2022 Sep;609(7929):895. doi: 10.1038/d41586-022-03011-0. PMID: 36167995.
- Sixian Wu, Xiaoliang Li, Peiyu Li, Tongtong Li, Gelin Huang, Andras Dinnyés, Lijun Shang*, Wenming Xu*. Developing rat testicular organoid models for assessing reproductive toxicity of antidepression drugs in vitro. 2022, Acta Biochimica et Biophysica Sinica, in press, * co-corresponding authors
- Si-xian Wu, Xiao-liang Li, Li-jun Shang, Lv-ying Wu, Tong-tong Li, Pei-yv Li, Zhi-liang Ji, Jian-wen Hou, Ming-zhu Yin, Wen-ming Xu. A novel BRDT inhibitor NHWD870 shows potential as a male contraceptive in mice. September 2022, Acta Biochimica et Biophysica Sinica, DOI: 10.3724/abbs.2022135
- Junhong Zhao, You Zhou, Jing Zhang, Kejin Zhang, Lijun Shang*, Junlin Li*. Correlation between novel compound heterozygous ADAMTSL4 variants and primary phenotypes of ectopia lentis et pupillae. 2022, Experimental Eye Research. * co-corresponding authors, 2022
- Lijun Shang, Michael Mprah, Indrajitrakuraj Ravi, Malcolm Dando. Key Issues in the Implementation of the Tianjin Biosecurity Guidelines for Codes of Conduct for Scientists: A Survey of Biosecurity Projects. Biosafety and Health. 2022
- Nariyoshi Shinomiya, Jusaku Minari, Go Yoshizawa, Malcolm Dando, Lijun Shang (2022), Reconsidering the Need for Gain-of-Function Research on Enhanced Potential Pandemic Pathogens in the Post-COVID-19 Era. Front. Bioeng. Biotechnol. 10:966586. doi: 10.3389/fbioe.2022.966586
- Gelin Huang, Xueguang Zhang, Guanping Yao, Lin Huang, Sixian Wu, Xiaoliang Li, Juncen Guo, Yuting Wen, Yan Wang, Lijun Shang, Na Li, Wenming Xu. A loss-of-function variant in SSFA2 causes male infertility with globozoospermia and failed oocyte activation. 2022, Reproductive Biology and Endocrinology, (2022) 20:103.
- Yang Xue, Lijun Shang. (2022) Towards Better Governance on Biosafety and Biosecurity: China’s Advances and Perspectives in Medical Biotechnology Legislation. 2022, Front. Bioeng. Biotechnol. 10:939295. doi: 10.3389/fbioe.2022.939295
- Huaiyu Tong, Chongye Guo, Liang Liang, Hua Mi, Meng Li, Yiheng Yin, Lijun Shang*, Shuangli Mi*, Xinguang Yu*. Implication of a de novo Variant in ciliary rootlet coiled coil (CROCC) with assimilation of atlas (AOA). Genetics & Applications. 2022, 6(1): DOI: 10.31383/ga.vol6iss1pp11-26 *co-corresponding authors
- Yang Xue, Lijun Shang. Governance of Heritable Human Gene Editing World-Wide and Beyond. International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health. 2022, 19(11), 6739
- Tatyana Novossiolova, Simon Whitby, Malcolm Dando, Lijun Shang. Strengthening Biological Security after COVID-19: Using cartoons for engaging life science stakeholders with the Biological and Toxin Weapons Convention (BTWC). Journal of Biosafety and Biosecurity. 2022, 4:68-74
- Brett Edwards, Tatyana Novossiolova, Michael Crowley, Simon Whitby, Malcolm Reginald Dando and Lijun Shang. Meeting the Challenges of Chemical and Biological Weapons: Strengthening the Chemical and Biological Disarmament and Non-Proliferation Regimes. Frontiers in Political Science. 2022, 4:805426
- Yang Xue, Lijun Shang, Jinwen Zang. Building a Multiple-level System of Ethical Code for Biological Scientists under the Biological and Toxin Weapons Convention (BTWC) of the United Nations with Effective Implementation. Journal of Biosafety and Biosecurity. 2021, 3:108-119
- Caijuan Dong, Aiqun Ma, Lijun Shang. Animal models used in the research of nanoparticles for cardiovascular diseases. Journal of Nanoparticle Research. 2021, 23, 172
- Zhuoyue Chen, Zhen Zhang, Zhaoyue Wang, Jiawei Wu, Yihang Wang, He Si, Xin Xie, Lijun Shang*, Daidi Fan*, Fulin Chen*. Fabricating a novel HLC-hBMP2 fusion protein for the treatment of bone defects. Journal of Controlled Release. 2021,329: 270-285. *co-corresponding authors
- Zhuoyue Chen, Daidi Fan, Lijun Shang. Exploring the potential of the recombinant human collagens for biomedical and clinical applications: a short review. 2021 Biomedical Materials. 16,012001
- Huiling Sun, Kai Meng, Lin Hou, Lijun Shang*, Jianqun Yan*. Melanocortin receptor-4 mediates the anorectic effect induced by the nucleus tractus solitarius injection of glucagon-like Peptide-2 in fasted rats. European Journal of Pharmacology. 2021, 901: 174072 *co-corresponding authors
- Huang L, Yao G, Huang G, Jiang C, Li L, Liao L, Yuan G, Shang L*, Xu W*. Association of Zinc deficiency, oxidative stress and increased double-stranded DNA breaks in globozoospermic infertile patients and its implication for the assisted reproductive technique. Translational Andrology and Urology 2021;10(3):1088-1101. *co-corresponding authors
- Huiling Sun, Kai Meng, Lin Hou, Lijun Shang*, Jianqun Yan*. GLP-2 decreases food intake in the dorsomedial hypothalamic nucleus (DMH) through Exendin (9-39) in male Sprague-Dawley (SD) rats. Physiology & Behavior. 2021, 229: 113253. *co-corresponding authors
- Malcolm Dando, Tatyana Novossiolova, Michael Crowley and Lijun Shang (2021). Towards an Aspirational (Ethical) Code under the Biological and Toxin Weapons Convention: Engaging the Life Science Community. CBW Magazine: Journal on Chemical and Biological Weapons. 2021; 14, 2: 4-23
- H Sun, K Meng, L Hou, L Shang*, J Yan*. GLP-2 decreases food intake in the dorsomedial hypothalamic nucleus (DMH) through Exendin (9-39) in male Sprague-Dawley (SD) rats. 2021. Physiology and Behaviour. Volume 229, 113253. *co-corresponding authors.
- L Huang, G Yao, G Huang, C Jiang, L Li, L Liao, G Yuan, L Shang *, W Xu *. Association of Zinc deficiency, oxidative stress and increased double-stranded DNA breaks in globozoospermic infertile patients. 2021. Translational Andrology and Urology. In press. *co-corresponding authors.
Z Chen, Z Zhang, Z Wang, J Wu, Y Wang, H Si, X Xie, L Shang*, D Fan*, F Chen*. Fabricating a novel HLC-hBMP2 fusion protein for the treatment of bone defects. Journal of Controlled Release. 2021. 329:270-285. *co-corresponding authors.
H Sun, K Meng, L Hou, L Shang*, J Yan*. GLP-2 decreases food intake in the dorsomedial hypothalamic nucleus (DMH) through Exendin (9-39) in male Sprague-Dawley (SD) rats. 2020. Physiology and Behaviour. In press. *co-corresponding authors.
Z Chen, D Fan, L Shang. Exploring the potential of the recombinant human collagens for biomedical and clinical applications: a short review. Biomedical Materials. 2021, 16 012001
- Simon Whitby, Cheng Tang, Lijun Shang, and Malcolm Dando. After COVID-19: Time to Agree A Biosecurity Code of Conduct Under the Biological and Toxin Weapons Convention. CBW Magazine: Journal on Chemical and Biological Weapons. 2020,13(1-2):60-74
- Chen Z, Zhang Z, Ma X, Duan Z, Hui J, Zhu C, Zhang D, Fan D*, Shang L*, Chen F*. Newly Designed Human-Like Collagen to Maximize Sensitive Release of BMP-2 for Remarkable Repairing of Bone Defects. Biomolecules. 2019;9(9). pii: E450 *co-corresponding authors
- Hongyi Li, Chongqing Yang, Yajun Yin, Fang Wang, Min Chen, Liang Xu, Naili Wang, Di Zhang, Xiaoxia Wang, Yiya Kong, Qing Li, Si Su, Yupeng Cao, Wentao Liu, Zhuo Ao, Luru Dai, Chao Ma, Lijun Shang, Dong Han, Fusui Ji, Hua Li. An extravascular fluid transport system based on structural framework of fibrous connective tissues in human body. Cell Proliferation. 2019; 00:e12667
- Lijun Shang, Michael Crowley and Malcolm Dando. Act now to close chemical-weapons loophole. Nature. 2018; 562 (7727):344
- Michael Crowley, Lijun Shang and Malcolm Dando. Preventing chemical weapons as sciences converge, Focus must shift beyond 20th-century technologies. Science. 2018;362(6416):753-755
- Chen Z, Zhang Z, Feng J, Guo Y, Yu Y, Cui J, Li H, Shang L. Influence of Mussel-Derived Bioactive BMP-2-Decorated PLA on MSC Behaviour in Vitro and Verification with Osteogenicity at Ectopic Sites in Vivo. ACS Appl Mater Interfaces. 2018;10(14):11961-11971
- C Dong, A Ma, L Shang. Nanoparticles for post-infarct ventricular remodelling. Nanomedicine. 2018:13(23):3037-3050
- Jingwen Zhang, Yanbo Xue, Yajuan Ni, Feifei Ning, Lijun Shang*, Aiqun Ma.* Size dependent effects of Gold Nanoparticles in ISO-induced Hyperthyroid Rats. Scientific Reports. 2018; 8(1):10960 *co-corresponding authors
- Z Zhang, F Chen, L Shang. Advances in anti-tumour effects of NSAIDs. Cancer Management and Research. 2018;10 :4631-4640
- J Zhang, A Ma, L Shang. Conjugating existing clinical drugs with gold nanoparticles for better treatment of heart diseases. Frontiers in Physiology. 2018; 9:642
- M Crowley, L Shang, M Dando. Preserving the norm against chemical weapons: A civil society initiative for the 2018 4th review conference of the chemical weapons convention. Futures. 2018; 102: 125-133
- Habas K, Shang L. Alterations in intercellular adhesion molecule 1 (ICAM-1) and vascular cell adhesion molecule 1 (VCAM-1) in human endothelial cells. Tissue Cell. 2018; 54:139-143
Books and chapters (in the last four years)
L Shang, S Whitby, and M Dando. Strengthening the Biological and Toxin Weapons Convention after COVID-19. Chemistry World. [RSC Books, Preprint]. 15 October 2020.
S Whitby, C Tang, L Shang, M Dando. After COVID-19: Time to Agree a Biosecurity Code of Conduct Under the Biological and Toxin Weapons Convention. in (Eds) Ajey Lele, Kritika Roy. COVID-19 Analysing the Threat. Pages: 361-379. 2020 June. New Delhi. PENTAGON PRESS. ISBN 978-93-90095-07-0.
M Crowley, M Dando, L Shang. The Future of Chemical Weapons: Arms Control and Disarmament as the Sciences Converge. the Royal Society of Chemistry. 2018 August; ISBN: 978-1-78262-649-7
- “The Future of Chemical Weapons: Arms Control and Disarmament as the Sciences Converge”. Michael Crowley, Malcolm Dando, Lijun Shang. the Royal Society of Chemistry. 2018 August; ISBN: 978-1-78262-649-7
- Chapter 1: Introduction: preventing the re-emergence of chemical weapons, Michael Crowley, Malcolm Dando, Lijun Shang. “The Future of Chemical Weapons”, pp3-9 the Royal Society of Chemistry, 2018, 10
- Chapter 13: Advances in poisoning mechanisms, biomarkers, and drugs for the prevention and treatment of traditional chemical weapons, Xinbo Zhou, Wu Zhong, Pengbin Bo, Lijun Shang. “The Future of Chemical Weapons”, pp380-417. the Royal Society of Chemistry, 2018, 10
- Chapter 21: Conclusions and recommendations, Michael Crowley, Ralf Trapp, Malcolm Dando, Lijun Shang. “The Future of Chemical Weapons”, pp621-641. the Royal Society of Chemistry, 2018, 10
Transformation Fund, London Metropolitan University: £15,000 for the project, Evaluating HUWEI related oxidative stress and DNA damage in sperm through improved Comet Assay for sperm diagnosing and pre-IVF screening.
Partners: Sichuan University, China
Strategic Priorities Fund, London Metropolitan University: £10,000, for the project, "Informing Policymakers of the Progress in Strengthening the Chemical and Biological Weapons Non-Proliferation Regime", to disseminate key information about biosecurity to parliamentarians and broader communities by media and videos, and build a communication channel for further engagement with policymakers.
Rescaling Fund, London Metropolitan University: £1,000 for a two-day international workshop convening members of states parties and a Preparatory Committee to produce a summary of findings.
The Joseph Rowntree Charitable Trust: £6300 (1 Jan 2021 – 30 June 2022) “Working towards agreement on a Biological Security Code of Conduct/Mandatory Education for Life Scientists at the BTWC 9th Review Conference.”
Professor Shang played an active role in several learned societies:
- Physiological Society (UK) (2004-present)
- Biophysical Society (USA) (2004-2013)
He is the Physiological Society (UK) Representative at London Met (2020). He also sits on the editorial board for several journals and regularly serves as a reviewer for journals and funding bodies. He also acted as an external examiner for postgraduate and PhD students in the UK and overseas.
Professor Shang has provided on-air expertise on outreach and publicity of his own research on local radio as well as being invited to give research talks both in the UK and overseas.
Professor of Biomedical Sciences
School of Human Sciences