Dr. Daniel Sykes is the course leader for Chemistry BSc (Hons) and is head of chemical and pharmaceutical sciences.
Dr Daniel Sykes
Dr Daniel Sykes gained an MChem (Hons) with year in industry from the University of Manchester. He remained in Manchester to study for a PhD under the supervision of Professor Stephen Faulkner. Following postdoctoral work at the University of Manchester, the University of Oxford and the University of Sheffield he relocated to London Metropolitan University and is now the Head of Chemical and Pharmaceutical Sciences. He is currently course leader for Chemistry BSc (Hons) and Chemistry (including in foundation year) - BSc (Hons) course leader.
- 3D Printed Controlled Release Oral Drug Delivery Systems; Amy Chave, Daniel Sykes, Bhaven Patel. Material Highlights, submitted
- Introducing a Peer- and Self-assessment Process to a Group Project: an evaluation of a module on Inorganic Chemistry, Daniel Sykes, Investigations in university teaching and learning, 2015, 10, 23-30.
- Cell imaging using multi-photon excitation of dual emissive d-f hybrids, Elizabeth Baggeley, DK Cao, Daniel Sykes, Stanley Botchway, Julia A. Weinstein and Michael D. Ward.Chem Eur. J., 2014, 20 (29), 8898-890323.
- Sensitisation of Eu(III) and Tb(III)-based luminescence by Ir(III) units in Ir/lanthanide dyads: evidence for energy transfer and electron transfer based mechanisms operating in parallel, Daniel Sykes, Ahmet J. Cankut, Noorshia Ali, Andrew Stephenson, Steven J. Spall, Simon C. Parker, Julia A. Weinstein and Michael D. Ward, Dalton Trans., 2014, 43, 6414-6428
- Using remote substituents to control solution structure and anion binding in lanthanide complexes, Manuel Tropiano, Octavia A. Blackburn, James A. Tilney, Leila R. Hill, Matteo P. Placidi, Rebecca J. Aarons, Daniel Sykes, Michael W. Jones, Alan M. Kenwright, John S. Snaith, Thomas Just Sorenson and Stephen Faulkner, Chem. Eur. J., 2013, 19, 49, 16566-16571 –cover article and highlighted in Chemistry Views.
- d-f Energy transfer in Ir(III)/ Eu(III) Dyads: Use of a Naphthyl Spacer as a Spatial and Energetic “Stepping Stone”, Daniel Sykes, Simon Parker, Igor V. Sazanovich, Andrew Stephenson, Julia A. Weinstein and Michael D. Ward,Inorg. Chem., 2013, 52(18), 10500-10511.
- Cu12and Cd16coordination cages and their Cu3and Cd3 subcomponents, and the role of inter-ligand stacking in π-stabilising cage complexes, Andrew Stephenson, Daniel Sykes, Michael D. Ward,Dalton Trans., 2013, 42, 6756-676719.
- Preparation of Fluorescent Tubulin Binders, Elena Riva, Martin Mattarella, Stella Borrelli, Michael S. Christodoulou, Daniele Cartelli, Marcus Main, Stephen Faulkner, Daniel Sykes, Graziella Cappelletti, John S. Snaith and Daniele Passarella, ChemPlusChem, 2012, 77, 1-6.
- Combined two-photon excitation and d-f energy-transfer in Ir/lanthanide dyads with time-gated selection from a two-component emission spectrum, Robert M. Edkins, Daniel Sykes, Andrew Beeby and Michael D. Ward, Chem. Commun., 2012, 48, 9977-997917.
- Lanthanide complexes DOTA monoamide derivatives bearing an isophthalate pendent arm, Emma J. Shiells, Louise S. Natrajan, Daniel Sykes, Manuel Tropiano, Paul Cooper, Alan M. Kenwright and Stephen Faulkner, Dalton Trans.,2011, 40, 11451-11457. Funding body; EPSRC.
- d-f energy transfer in a series of Ir(III)/Eu(III) dyads: energy transfer mechanisms and white light emission, Daniel Sykes, Ian S Tidmarsh, Andrea Barbieri, Igor V. Sazanovich, Julia A. Weinstein and Michael D. Ward, Inorg. Chem.,2011, 50(22), 11323-11339. Funding body; EPSRC.
- Visible-light sensitisation of Tb(III) luminescence using a blue-emitting Ir(III) complex as energy-donor, Daniel Sykes and Michael D. Ward, Chem. Commun., 2011, 47, 2279. Funding body; EPSRC.
- Iridium(III) luminophores as energy donors for sensitised emission from lanthanides in the visible and near-infrared regions, Nicholas M. Tart, Daniel Sykes, Igor Sazanovich, Ian S. Tidmarsh and Michael D. Ward, Photochem. Photobiol. Sci., 2010, 9, 886. Funding body; EPSRC.
- Luminescence from the ligand to metal charge transfer state of the neptunyl (V) ion and its complexes in solution, Rebecca Bradshaw, Daniel Sykes, Louise S. Natrajan, Robin J. Taylor, Francis R. Livens and Stephen Faulkner, IoP Materials Science and Engineering, 2010, 9, 012047. Funding body; Oxford University.
- Synthesis and spectroscopic studies on azo-dye derivatives of poly-metallic lanthanide complexes: using diazotisation to link metal complexes together, Matteo P. Placidi, Aaron J. Villaraza, Louise S. Natrajan, Daniel Sykes, Alan M. Kenwright and Stephen Faulkner, J. Am. Chem. Soc., 2009, 131(29), 9916. Funding body; Oxford University.
- Luminescent lanthanide arrays and d-f hybrids, Stephen Faulkner, Louise S. Natrajan, Daniel Sykes, William S. Perry. Invited ‘Perspective’ review article: Dalton Trans., 2009, 3890-3899. Funding body; Oxford University. 10
- [Ru(bipy)3]2+ and [Os(bipy)3]2+ chromophores as sensitisers for near-infrared luminescence from Yb(III) and Nd(III) in d/f dyads:contributions from Forster, Dexter, and redox-based energy-transfer mechanisms, Theodore Lazarides, Nicholas M. Tart, Daniel Sykes, Stephen Faulkner, Andrea Barbieri and Michael D. Ward, Dalton Trans., 2009, 3971. Funding body; Oxford University.
- Bimetallic lanthanide complexes derived from macrocycle appended m-xylyl derivatives: synthesis and spectroscopic properties, Matteo P. Placidi, Louise S. Natrajan, Daniel Sykes, Alan M. Kenwright, Stephen Faulkner, Helvetica Chimica Acta 2009, 92(11) 2427. Funding body; Nexia solutions.
- Bimetallic Pt(II)-bipyridyl-diacetylide/Ln(III) tris-diketonate adducts based on a combination of coordinate bonding and hydrogen bonding between the metal fragments: Syntheses, structures and photophysical properties, Nawal K. Al-Rasbi, Sofia Derossi, Daniel Sykes, Stephen Faulkner, Michael D. Ward, Polyhedron, 2008, 28, 205. Funding body; Nexia solutions.
- On the mechanism of d-f energy transfer in RuII/LnIII and OsII/LnIII dyads: Dexter-type energy transfer over a distance of 20A, Theodore Lazarides, Daniel Sykes, Stephen Faulkner, Andrea Barbieri, Michael D. Ward, Chem-Eur. J., 2008, 14(30) 9389. Funding body; Nexia solutions.
- Using the Ugi multicomponent condensation reaction to prepare families of chromophore appended azamacrocycles and their complexes, Marcus Main, John S. Snaith, Marco M. Meloni, Maite Jauregui, Daniel Sykes, Stephen Faulkner and Alan M. Kenwright, Chem. Commun., 2008, 5212. Funding body; Nexia solutions.
- Heteronuclear bipyrimidine-bridged Ru-Ln and Os-Ln dyads: low-energy 3MLCT states as energy-donors to Yb(III) and Nd(III), Theodore Lazarides, Harry Adams, Daniel Sykes, Stephen Faulkner, Giuseppe Calogero and Michael D. Ward, Dalton Trans., 2008, 691. Funding body; Nexia solutions.
- Three-component coordination networks based on [Ru(phen)(CN)4]2- anions, near-infrared luminescent lanthanide(III) cations, and ancillary oligopyridine ligands:structures and photophysical properties, Svetlana G. Baca, Harry Adams, Daniel Sykes, Stephen Faulkner, Michael D. Ward, Dalton Trans., 2007, 23, 2419. Funding body; Nexia solutions.
- Luminescence from Neptunyl (VI) species in solution, Catherine Talbot-Eeckelaars, Simon J. A. Pope, Amanda J. Hynes, Roy Copping, Robin J. Taylor, Stephen Faulkner, Daniel Sykes, Francis R. Livens and Iain May, J. Am. Chem. Soc., 2007, 129(9) 2442. Funding body; Nexia solutions.
- Polynuclear lanthanide complexes of a series of bridging ligands containing two tridentate N,N’, O-donor units: structures and luminescence properties, Tanya K. Ronson, Harry Adams, Lindsay Harding, Simon J. A. Pope, Daniel Sykes, Stephen Faulkner, Michael D. Ward, Dalton Trans., 2007, 1006. Funding body; EPSRC.
- Luminescent PtII Chromophores with Pendant Binding Sites as Energy Donors for Sensitised Near-Intrared Emission from Lanthanides: Structures and Photophysics of PtII/LnIII Assemblies, Tanya K. Ronson, Theodore Lazarides, Harry Adams, Simon J. A. Pope, Daniel Sykes, Stephen Faulkner, Simon J. Coles, Michael B. Hursthouse, William Clegg, Ross W. Harrington and Michael D. Ward, Chem. Eur. J., 2006, 36, 9299. Funding body; EPSRC
Invited book chapter
- Springer series on fluorescence Vol 7, 2011; Lanthanide Luminescence; Lanthanide Assemblies and Polymetallic complexes, Stephen Faulkner and Daniel Sykes. Funding body; Oxford University.
RSC UG research student bursary with Fizaa Omran £2660
RSC Research Fund £3200
Dr Daniel Sykes
Chemistry BSc (Hons) Course Leader
Head of Chemical and Pharmaceutical Sciences