The Student Loans Company offers a non-means-tested Postgraduate Loan of up to £11,570 for students starting in 2021-22. The loan is a contribution towards the costs of study, and it is therefore at your discretion to use the loan towards fees, maintenance costs or other costs. The loan will be paid directly to you in three instalments during the academic year.
Repaying student loans
The Postgraduate Loan does not need to be repaid until you have finished your course (or withdrawn) and are earning more than £21,000 per year.
You will pay 6% of your income over the threshold of £21,000 a year. If your income falls below £21,000, your repayments will stop.
The interest on the loan is calculated at the rate of inflation plus 3% on all outstanding Postgraduate Loan balances.
Repayments will be made concurrently with any other student loans such as undergraduate loans.
Restrictions and exemptions
The Postgraduate Loan is for students who are:
- studying a full-time or part-time taught (MA, MSc, MEd), research (MPhil or MRes), distance learning or professional master's course (MBA, LLM) (please check course eligibility as not all courses are eligible for the loan – for example, a postgraduate diploma or Master of Architecture is not eligible – see full list below)
- Home* students
- aged under 60 on the first day of the first academic year of the course (1 September 2021 for 2021-22 September start)
*Some EU/EEA students who meet EU Settlement Scheme and residency requirements may also be able to apply. Check out gov.uk for more information or email our Student Money and Accommodation Advice team at firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you already have a postgraduate master's qualification, including an integrated master's qualification, you will not be eligible for the loan.
The following London Met courses which are being recruited to for the forthcoming academic year are not eligible for the Postgraduate Loan:
- Applied Psychology PG Dip
- Assessment Only (AO) route to qualified teacher status QTS
- Biomedical Science Online
- Common Professional Exam GDL
- Corporate Social Responsibility and Sustainability Adv Dip Pro Dev
- Counselling Psychology Prof Doc
- Dietetics and Nutrition PG Dip
- Employment Law and Practice Adv Dip Pro Dev
- Examination in Professional Practice in Architecture RIBA3
- Health Psychology Prof Doc
- Human Resource Management PG Dip
- Legal Practice Course PG Dip
- Legal Practice Course Stage 1 PG Dip
- Legal Practice Course Stage 2 PG Dip
- Occupational Psychology Prof Doc
- PGCE courses (though undergraduate funding may be available)
- Policing, Security and Community Safety Prof Doc
- Architecture RIBA 2 MArch (though undergraduate funding may be available)
- Psychology for Graduates (by Distance Learning) Uni Cert
- Public-Private Partnerships Adv Dip Pro Dev
- QTS courses (though undergraduate funding may be available)
- Research Degree PhD – a separate Doctoral Loan is available
- Subject Knowledge Enhancement Mathematics
- Teaching Adult Dyslexic Learners in Higher and Further Education PG Cert
How to apply
You will need to apply to Student Finance England for the loan.
At a glance
£11,570 (2021-22 starters)
|Studying at level:||Postgraduate, including research degrees (not all courses are eligible for the loan – please check with the Student Loans Company)|
|The information on this page applies to students starting courses in these academic years (as indicated):||