Bruno is a pharmacist who moved from Lisbon to London in order to pursue a PhD in Medicinal Organic Chemistry, after receiving his 6-year PharmD degree from the Egas Moniz Higher Institute of Health Sciences (ISCSEM). After being granted his doctorate diploma from University College London (UCL), Bruno established his career as a postdoctoral research fellow in different research groups.
His work has led to the translation of knowledge between the fields of pharmaceutics, chemistry and new emerging technologies (ie additive manufacturing). Bruno has gained valuable pharmaceutical industry experience working for companies such as Recipharm and GlaxoSmithKline. He still keeps close ties with the latter as an associate researcher for the UCL Skin Research Group and member of the editorial board for the International Journal of Cosmetic Science. Bruno continues to collaborate with these prestigious landmarks in topical and transdermal drug development.
- Pharmaceutical science
- Topical and transdermal drug delivery systems
- Medicinal organic chemistry
- Bruno C. Sil, Miguel P. Alvarez, Yanling Zhang, Chin‐Ping Kung, Monjur Hossain, Fotis Iliopoulos, Lin Luo, Jonathan M. Crowther, David J. Moore, Jonathan Hadgraft, M. E. Lane, Stephen T. Hilton; 3D‐printed Franz type diffusion cells, International Journal of Cosmetic Science. December 2018.
- B. C. Sil, D. J. Moore, M. E. Lane; Use of LC-MS analysis to elucidate by-products of niacinamide transformation following in vitro skin permeation studies, International Journal of Cosmetic Science, 1–5. September 2018.
- Jing Li, Yaru Zhang, Bruno Da Silva Sil Dos Santos, Feng Wang, Yuyong Ma, Christian Perez, Yanling Yang, Junmin Peng, Seth M. Cohen, Tsui-Fen Chou, Stephen T. Hilton, Raymond J. Deshaies; Epidithiodiketopiperazines Inhibit Protein Degradation by Targeting Proteasome Deubiquitinase Rpn11, Cell Chemical Biology, 25, 1–9. August 2018.
- Patent PCT/GB2017/050685, Three-dimensional printing of impregnated plastics for chemical reactions. December 2017.
- Matthew R. Penny, Zi Jing Cao, Bhaven Patel, Bruno Sil dos Santos, Christopher R. M. Asquith, Blanka R. Szulc, Zenobia X. Rao, Zaid Muwaffak, John P. Malkinson, and Stephen T. Hilton; Three-Dimensional Printing of a Scalable Molecular Model and Orbital Kit for Organic Chemistry Teaching and Learning, Journal of Chemical Education, 94, 9, 1265-1271. August 2017.
- Tasnuva Haque, Bruno C. Sil, Majella E. Lane, Jonathan M. Crowther, David J. Moore; In vitro permeation and disposition of niacinamide in silicone and porcine skin of skin barrier-mimetic formulations, International Journal of Pharmaceutics, Volume 520, Issues 1–2, Pages 158-162, ISSN 0378-5173. March 2017.
- Blanka R. Szulc, Bruno C. Sil, A. Ruiz and Stephen T. Hilton, A Common Precursor Approach to Structurally Diverse Natural Products: The Synthesis of the Core Structure of (±)-Clausenamide and the Total Synthesis of (±)-Hyalodendrin, ChemInform Abstract, 47. March 2016.
- Blanka R. Szulc, Bruno C. Sil, A. Ruiz and Stephen T. Hilton, A Common Precursor Approach to Structurally Diverse Natural Products: The Synthesis of the Core Structure of (±)-Clausenamide and the Total Synthesis of (±)-Hyalodendrin, European Journal of Organic Chemistry. September 2015.
- B. Sil, S.T. Hilton, A Mild and Convenient Base Catalysed Approach to Disubstituted Epidithiodiketopiperazines, ChemInform Abstract, 45. April 2014.
- 246st ACS National Meeting and Exposition, Indianapolis, Indiana. Abstract accepted and published: B. Sil, S.T. Hilton, ETPs as anticancer agents: Synthesis and biological activity. September 2013.
- B. Sil, S.T. Hilton, A Mild and Convenient Base Catalysed Approach to Disubstituted Epidithiodiketopiperazines, SYNLETT, 24 (19) 2563 – 2566. September 2013.
- UKPharm Sci Conference, East Midlands Conference Centre, Nottingham. Abstracts accepted and published: Bruno Sil, Stephen Hilton. The Development of Novel Dimeric Molecules to Target the Hypoxic Response in Cancer Cell Lines. September 2011.
- 241st ACS National Meeting & Exposition, Anaheim, California. Abstracts accepted and published: Bruno Sil, Stephen Hilton. Diversity from Simplicity – A Common Precursor Approach Towards Natural Products Structures. March 2011.
- SET for Britain 2011 Physics and Chemistry session, Houses of Parliament (House of Commons), London. Abstract accepted: B. C. Sil, K. M. Cook, J. Mecinovic, W. D. Figg, C. J. Schofield, S. T. Hilton. Nature’s Unique Molecular Twins: Dimeric Small Molecules To Treat Resistant Cancer Cell Lines. March 2011.
Tel: +44 (0)20 7133 2151
Room T12-02, Tower Building
London Metropolitan University
166-220 Holloway Road
London N7 8DB