Dr Bhaven Patel
Dr Patel teaches students in the Chemical and Pharmaceutical Science subject area at both at undergraduate and postgraduate levels. The main area of teaching is organic chemistry where he teaches carbonyl chemistry and aromatic chemistry. He also teaches about metals in organic synthesis and combines his area of research interest of radical chemistry and the development of new synthetic methods with medicinal chemistry and drug design at higher levels to help students understand the area of designing and synthesising current or novel drug like structures. Dr Patel also teaches NMR spectroscopy which is used to analyse structures.
Room temperature DBN initiated phospha‐Brook rearrangement of α‐hydroxyphosphonates to phosphates; Mahandru‐Gill, M.; Iqbal, A.; Damai, M.; Spiedo, F.; Kasonde, E.K.; Sykes, D.; Devine, K.G.; Patel, B.; Eur. J. Org. Chem., 2022, 43, e202201101.
An undergraduate study for the comparison of dissolution profiles using 3D printed PVA and commercial paracetamol tablets; Asmari, M.; Sil dos Santos, B.; Patel B.; Materials Highlights, 2022, 1, 22.
- Acetic Acid Catalysed One-Pot Synthesis of Pyrrolo[1,2-a]quinoxaline Derivatives; Allan, P. N. M.; Ostrowska, M. I.; Patel, B.; Synlett 2019, 30, 2148.
- Highly Efficient Copper‐Catalyzed Amidation of Benzylic Hydrocarbons Under Neutral Conditions; Howard, E–L.; Guzzardi, N.; Tsanova, V. G.; Stika, A. Patel, B.; Eur. J. Org. Chem., 2018, 794.
- Three-Dimensional Printing of a Scalable Molecular Model and Orbital Kit for Organic Chemistry Teaching and Learning; Penny, M. R.; Cao, Z. J.; Patel, B.; Sil dos Santos, B.; Szulc, B.; Asquith, C. R. M.; Monaco, A.; Ishaq, A.; Rao, Z.; Bayona, R. M.; Hassan, Z. M.; Malkinson, J.; Hilton, S. T.; J. Chem. Ed., 2017, 94, 1265.
- 3D-Printed Polypropylene Continuous-Flow Column Reactors: Exploration of Reactor Utility in SNAr Reactions and the Synthesis of Bicyclic and Tetracyclic Heterocycles; Rao, Z.; Patel, B.; Monaco, A.; Cao, Z. J.; Barniol-Xicota, M.; Pichon, E.; Hilton, S. T.; Eur. J. Org. Chem., 2017, 6499.
- Patent PCT/GB2017/050685, Three-dimensional printing of impregnated plastics for chemical reactions. December 2017.
- A Radical-Mediated Approach to the Total Synthesis of Fluorinated Marinoquinoline A and Related Tricyclic and Tetracyclic Congeners; Patel, B.; Hilton, S. T.; Synlett 2015, 26, 79.
- Tuneable radical cyclisations: A non-toxic/tin-free mediated approach to tricyclic heterocycles or spirocyclic heterocyles; Patel, B.; Saviolaki, G.; Ayats, C.; Garcia, M.; Kapadia, T.; Hilton, S. T.; RSC Adv., 2014, 4, 18930.
- Resolution and determination of the absolute configuration of the enantiomers of a trans-α-disulfoxide; Allenmark, S.; Grainger, R. S.; Olsson, S.; Patel, B.; Eur. J. Org. Chem., 2011, 4089.
- Sulfur monoxide transfer from peri-substituted trisulfide-2-oxides to dienes: substituent effects, mechanistic studies and application in thiophene synthesis; Grainger, R. S.; Patel, B.; Kariuki, B. M.; Male, L.; Spencer, N., J. Am. Chem. Soc. 2011, 133, 5843.
- In search of a new class of stable nitroxide: synthesis and reactivity of a peri-substituted N,N-bissulfonylhydroxylamine; Patel, B.; Carlisle, J.; Bottle, S. E.; Hanson, G. R.; Kariuki, B. M.; Male, L; McMurtrie, J. C.; Spencer, N.; Grainger, R. S.; Org. Biomol. Chem., 2011, 9, 2336.
- 2,7-Di-tert-butylnaphtho[1,8-cd][1,2]dithiole 1,2-dioxides: Thermally Stable, Photochemically Active vic-Disulfoxides; Grainger, R. S.; Patel, B.; Kariuki, B. M., Angew. Chem., Int. Ed., 2009, 48, 4832.
- Reaction discovery and the development of new synthetic methods
- Natural product synthesis and the synthesis bioactive molecules
- Medicinal chemistry
- 3D printing and its application in science
Dr Bhaven Patel
Reader in Organic Chemistry
Course leader for BSc Medicinal Chemistry and Drug Discovery, BSc Pharmaceutical Science & MSci Pharmaceutical Science