Dr Bhaven Patel is a senior lecturer in chemical and pharmaceutical sciences (organic chemistry) and course leader for Pharmaceutical Science BSc and Pharmaceutical Science MSci.
Dr Bhaven Patel
Dr Patel was appointed to a lectureship at London Metropolitan University in September 2014. He became the course leader for BSc Pharmaceutical Science in 2015 and a senior lecturer, a position which he currently holds, in 2016. He graduated with a 1st class MSci (Hons) Chemistry from King’s College London in 2005, which was followed by a PhD in Organic Chemistry at the University of Birmingham under the supervision of Richard Grainger.
He then gained a prestigious EPSRC PhD Plus fellowship working at the University of Birmingham and Queensland University of Technology with Dr Richard Grainger and Professor Steven Bottle for a year. Following this, Bhaven worked as an industrially funded postdoctoral fellow, by Syngenta, working under the supervision of Professor Barry Lygo at the University of Nottingham. This was then followed by a two-year postdoctoral fellowship at UCL School of Pharmacy working with Dr Stephen Hilton on a range of projects including the application of flow chemistry to reactions involving radical chemistry and 3D printing.
Dr Patel teaches students in the Chemical and Pharmaceutical Science subject area at both at undergraduate and postgraduate levels. The main area of teaching is organic chemistry where he teaches carbonyl chemistry and aromatic chemistry. He also teaches about metals in organic synthesis and combines his area of research interest of radical chemistry and the development of new synthetic methods with medicinal chemistry and drug design at higher levels to help students understand the area of designing and synthesising current or novel drug like structures. Dr Patel also teaches NMR spectroscopy which is used to analyse structures.
- Acetic Acid Catalysed One-Pot Synthesis of Pyrrolo[1,2-a]quinoxaline Derivatives; Allan, P. N. M.; Ostrowska, M. I.; Patel, B.; Synlett 2019, 30, 2148.
- Highly Efficient Copper‐Catalyzed Amidation of Benzylic Hydrocarbons Under Neutral Conditions; Howard, E–L.; Guzzardi, N.; Tsanova, V. G.; Stika, A. Patel, B.; Eur. J. Org. Chem., 2018, 794.
- Three-Dimensional Printing of a Scalable Molecular Model and Orbital Kit for Organic Chemistry Teaching and Learning; Penny, M. R.; Cao, Z. J.; Patel, B.; Sil dos Santos, B.; Szulc, B.; Asquith, C. R. M.; Monaco, A.; Ishaq, A.; Rao, Z.; Bayona, R. M.; Hassan, Z. M.; Malkinson, J.; Hilton, S. T.; J. Chem. Ed., 2017, 94, 1265.
- 3D-Printed Polypropylene Continuous-Flow Column Reactors: Exploration of Reactor Utility in SNAr Reactions and the Synthesis of Bicyclic and Tetracyclic Heterocycles; Rao, Z.; Patel, B.; Monaco, A.; Cao, Z. J.; Barniol-Xicota, M.; Pichon, E.; Hilton, S. T.; Eur. J. Org. Chem., 2017, 6499.
- Patent PCT/GB2017/050685, Three-dimensional printing of impregnated plastics for chemical reactions. December 2017.
- A Radical-Mediated Approach to the Total Synthesis of Fluorinated Marinoquinoline A and Related Tricyclic and Tetracyclic Congeners; Patel, B.; Hilton, S. T.; Synlett 2015, 26, 79.
- Tuneable radical cyclisations: A non-toxic/tin-free mediated approach to tricyclic heterocycles or spirocyclic heterocyles; Patel, B.; Saviolaki, G.; Ayats, C.; Garcia, M.; Kapadia, T.; Hilton, S. T.; RSC Adv., 2014, 4, 18930.
- Resolution and determination of the absolute configuration of the enantiomers of a trans-α-disulfoxide; Allenmark, S.; Grainger, R. S.; Olsson, S.; Patel, B.; Eur. J. Org. Chem., 2011, 4089.
- Sulfur monoxide transfer from peri-substituted trisulfide-2-oxides to dienes: substituent effects, mechanistic studies and application in thiophene synthesis; Grainger, R. S.; Patel, B.; Kariuki, B. M.; Male, L.; Spencer, N., J. Am. Chem. Soc. 2011, 133, 5843.
- In search of a new class of stable nitroxide: synthesis and reactivity of a peri-substituted N,N-bissulfonylhydroxylamine; Patel, B.; Carlisle, J.; Bottle, S. E.; Hanson, G. R.; Kariuki, B. M.; Male, L; McMurtrie, J. C.; Spencer, N.; Grainger, R. S.; Org. Biomol. Chem., 2011, 9, 2336.
- 2,7-Di-tert-butylnaphtho[1,8-cd][1,2]dithiole 1,2-dioxides: Thermally Stable, Photochemically Active vic-Disulfoxides; Grainger, R. S.; Patel, B.; Kariuki, B. M., Angew. Chem., Int. Ed., 2009, 48, 4832.
Dr Patel is part of the Molecular Systems for Health Research Group at London Met.
The research group is well equipped for all aspects of synthetic Chemistry. Our research covers a variety of themes that includes:
- Reaction discovery and the development of new synthetic methods;
- Natural product synthesis and the synthesis bioactive molecules;
- Medicinal chemistry;
- 3D printing and its application in science
- UCL Business – Proof of concept
- UCL SLMS Innovation and Excellence in Education Grant application
- EPSRC PhD Plus Research Fellowship
- 2020 SU Award Outstanding Academic Member of Staff for Human Sciences
- 2015 SU Award Outstanding Academic Member of Staff for Faculty of Life Sciences and Computing
- Higher Education Academy - Fellow
- American Chemical Society - Member
- Society of Chemical Industry - Member
- Royal Society of Chemistry - Member
- Academy of Pharmaceutical Sciences - Member
Journal Editorial Board
2016 Invited Lecture – City University “Careers in Academia”
Dr Bhaven Patel
Senior Lecturer in Organic Chemistry
Course leader for BSc Medicinal Chemistry and Drug Discovery, BSc Pharmaceutical Science & MSci Pharmaceutical Science
+44 (0)20 7133 2154
Tower Building London Metropolitan University
166-220 Holloway Road