International Relations, Peace and Conflict Studies - BA (Hons) - Undergraduate course | London Metropolitan University
Menu Enquire


Register your interest Enquire now Add to my prospectus
Apply now

International Relations, Peace and Conflict Studies - BA (Hons)

Add to my prospectus Why study this course? More about this course Entry requirements Modular structure What our students say After the course How to apply Meet the team Visit us

Why study this course?

Help end violent conflict and bring about peace. This undergraduate degree teaches you about conflict issues including diplomacy, humanitarian crises and conflict resolution. Through hands-on training and region-specific work, you’ll have all the tools you need to follow in the footsteps of our graduates who now work for the Department for International Development, the United Nations and a range of other governmental and non-governmental organisations. You will have the opportunity to apply for a place on the Hiroshima and Peace summer school at Hiroshima City University, Japan. 

In the most recent Destinations of Leavers from Higher Education (DLHE) survey, 100% of all 2017 graduates from this course were in work or further study within six months.

More about this course

Do you want to focus on the European Union or the Middle East? How about African or Latin American politics? This undergraduate course lets you tailor your learning to the areas that interest you most, and includes the option to learn a language for more effective communication on the world stage.

Practical simulations and role-play scenarios develop your conflict resolution skills. International organisations such as Médecins Sans Frontières and the UN aren’t just studied academically, you’ll meet active peace workers and practitioners in peace building both inside and outside the classroom.

You will be taught by highly experienced, award winning staff, alongside a personal tutor, an academic mentor and a dedicated employability officer, to support you in developing the skills you need to start a career in peace work.

Travel beyond London to develop your international relations experience. There are a wide selection of study abroad opportunities and you will have the opportunity to apply to join the Hiroshima and Peace summer school at Hiroshima City University.

The world needs international peace makers. With London Met’s emphasis on practical experience, language skills and specialist teaching, we'll equip you to make a difference across the globe.

The teaching on this course received a 90% student satisfaction rate in the 2018 National Student Survey.


You'll be assessed through practically-oriented assignments including reports, presentations, briefing papers, case studies, essays, examinations, individual and group research projects and portfolios comprising blog entries and other forms of reflective writing. This variety gives you the skills to present yourself in the best possible way when working in international organisations.

Fees and key information

Course type Undergraduate
UCAS code L292
Entry requirements View
Apply now

Entry requirements

In addition to the University's standard entry requirements, you should have:

  • a minimum grade C in three A levels or minimum grades BC in at least two A levels in academic or business subjects (or a minimum of 112 UCAS points from an equivalent Level 3 qualification, eg Advanced Diploma)
  • English Language GCSE at grade C (grade 4 from 2017) or above (or equivalent)

Applicants with relevant professional qualifications or extensive professional experience will also be considered on a case by case basis.

If you do not have traditional qualifications or cannot meet the entry requirements for this undergraduate degree, you may still be able to gain entry by completing the International Relations with Politics Extended degree.

These requirements may be varied in individual cases.

Applications are welcome from mature students who have passed appropriate Access or other preparatory courses or who have appropriate work experience.

All applicants must be able to demonstrate proficiency in the English language. Applicants who require a Tier 4 student visa may need to provide a Secure English Language Test (SELT) such as Academic IELTS. For more information about English qualifications please see our English language requirements.

Accelerated study

It may be possible to enter the course at levels 2/3 if you have a relevant Foundation Degree, HND or equivalent

Modular structure

Modules for this course are to be confirmed. Please check back at a later date or call our course enquiries team on +44 (0)20 7133 4200 for details.

What our students say

“This was a unique opportunity for me to build a new career within international development. I have learnt a lot and built much self confidence during these three years. The support I received from my international development tutor was outstanding.”
National Student Survey

“The teaching is top quality and they help you develop the skills needed. Personally, my confidence has grown greatly and will be of great help to me in life. I loved it.”
National Student Survey

After the course

Pursue the career of your dreams and follow in the footsteps of our previous graduates who have earned roles with the United Nations, the Department for International Development and other government bodies and non-governmental organisations. The type of work you could be doing includes international mediation, conflict resolution, peacebuilding, humanitarian aid and more.

The degree is also excellent preparation for further study or research. You can embark on our postgraduate courses in international relations, human rights and international conflict, security studies and more.

Moving to one campus

We're investing in an exciting, multimillion pound transformation of the London Metropolitan University campus, between 2016 and 2020. We’re moving all of our activity to one place, our current Holloway campus in Islington, north London. This will mean the teaching locations of some courses will change over time.

Whether you will be affected will depend on the duration of your course, when you start and your mode of study. The earliest moves affecting new students will be in September 2018. This may mean you begin your course at one location, but over the duration of the course you are relocated to one of our other campuses. Our intention is that no full-time student will change campus more than once during a course of typical duration.

All students will benefit from our move to one campus, which will allow us to develop state-of-the-art facilities, flexible teaching areas and stunning social spaces.

Additional costs

Please note, in addition to the tuition fee there may be additional costs for things like equipment, materials, printing, textbooks, trips or professional body fees.

Additionally, there may be other activities that are not formally part of your course and not required to complete your course, but which you may find helpful (for example, optional field trips). The costs of these are additional to your tuition fee and the fees set out above and will be notified when the activity is being arranged.

Unistats - key information set

Unistats is the official site that allows you to search for and compare data and information on university and college courses from across the UK. The widget(s) below draw data from the corresponding course on the Unistats website. If a course is taught both full-time and part-time, one widget for each mode of study will be displayed here.

How to apply

Apply to us for September 2018

It's not too late to start this course in September.

Applying for a full-time undergraduate degree starting this September is quick and easy - simply call our Clearing hotline on .

If you're a UK/EU applicant applying for full-time study you must apply via UCAS unless otherwise specified.

UK/EU applicants for part-time study should apply direct to the University.

Non-EU applicants for full-time study may choose to apply via UCAS or apply direct to the University. Non-EU applicants for part-time study should apply direct to the University, but please note that if you require a Tier 4 visa you are not able to study on a part-time basis.

When to apply

The University and Colleges Admissions Service (UCAS) accepts applications for full-time courses starting in September from one year before the start of the course. Our UCAS institution code is L68.

If you will be applying direct to the University you are advised to apply as early as possible as we will only be able to consider your application if there are places available on the course.

News and success stories

Meet the team

Visit us

You may also like...