Information for students applying from Canada

Based in one of the world's most exciting capital cities, we're home to a diverse community of inspiring and determined learners, teachers and innovative thinkers, representing over 140 nationalities.

Accelerated and affordable

We offer three-year bachelor’s and one-year master's degrees, saving students time and money whilse allowing them to start earning sooner. Canadian students are  are eligible for our International Bright Futures Scholarship.

There are no general education requirements, which means students will study their chosen course from day one at a university ranked in the top 10 in the UK for teaching quality and student experience (Times Good University Guide 2024).

For students looking at practising law, we offer a three-year undergraduate LLB Law course, helping you to accelerate you career. We also have a range of courses including Physiotherapy BSc, Sports Therapy BSc, Physiotherapy (Pre-registration) MSc and many more.


Get in touch

If you are a Canadian student or a Canadian institution interested in partnering with or attending London Met, we’d love to hear from you! Please contact our advisor:

Tara Murphy, Senior International Officer (North America)
Based in British Columbia (PST)


Telephone: +44 (0)20 7133 3317

Key information for students from Canada

Applying from Canada? See below for our entry requirements and check out our information for covering scholarships, support and contact details.

Please note: This information is provided as a guide only. Some courses may have specialised entry requirements that are listed on the relevant course page. Please check for any additional subject/course specific requirements before submitting your application.

If you have questions about how your qualifications from Canada translate, please contact

Academic entry requirements

Type of course



A completed High School Diploma from the following region with the indicated grades/scores:

  • Alberta: 50% or above in five subjects
  • British Columbia: 60% or above in five subjects
  • Manitoba: Five credits at 300 level AND 56% in four subjects
  • New Brunswick: 60% or above in six subjects at grade 12
  • Newfoundland: 65% or above in six subjects at 3,000 level
  • North West Territories: 50% or above in five subjects at grade 12
  • Nova Scotia: 50% or above in five subjects at grade 12
  • Ontario: 60% or above in six 4U or 4M courses
  • Prince Edward Island: 60% or above in five subjects at grade 12
  • Quebec: The Diplome d'Etudes Collgiales (DEC) awarded after two years of study at a College D'enseignement General et Professionnel (CEGEP) is acceptable and is marked on a percentage scale with 60% as the lowest pass mark
  • Saskatchewan: 65% or above in five subjects at grade 12
  • Yukon Territories: A minimum of five grades Cs' at grade 12

Four-year degree including a foundation year


Students who fall slightly below the standard requirements for an undergraduate course may be considered for an available or appropriate foundation year degree programme.


A completed bachelor's degree with Honours, from a recognised institution.

Grade: GPA of 5.5 or 68% (9 point scale) or GPA of 2.3 or 62% (4 point scale).

International Foundation Programme


We offer pathway programmes for students who may require additional foundation coursework before applying for our bachelor’s and master’s courses.

Mathematics and English requirements




We accept the following country-specific qualification(s):

  • Pass english in high school diploma - if you have completed a high school diploma with a passing grade in English language in any Canadian territory except New Brunswick and Quebec you will be exempted from English language. If you have studied in an anglophone institution in Quebec and achieved a minimum of 60% in English language you will be exempted.

We also accept all of these general English language requirements.

Mathematics (if applicable to your course) We would normally expect students to have complete mathematics as part of the their High School Diploma. Please see the undergraduate requirement indications above for the minimum score required in for each region.

General FAQs

See our International FAQs for questions regarding visas, funding, applying, studying and living in the UK and London Metropolitan University. 

Canada specifc FAQs

How do I apply for a student visa?

To apply for a student visa, you need an offer from a UK university where you have demonstrated your academic ability, English language proficiency, a valid passport, and financial evidence that you can support yourself. If you meet all the requirements, you will be provided with a CAS and can apply online through the UK Visas and Immigration website. Please note you will need to attend an in-person appointment to provide biometric information (eg, photo and fingerprints). There are several centres across Canada. You may need to send your passport away during the visa process, please keep this in mind if you have any international travel planned.

My family wants to visit me in London, do they need a visa?

This depends on their passport, length of stay, and plans while travelling. They can use the UK government website to check if and what visa they need. The UK government has announced a plan to gradually roll out Electronic Travel Authorisation (ETAs) from 2024, requiring travellers to apply online prior to travel, including Canadian citizens. Please check the government website before travelling.

How can I fund my studies at London Met?

You can fund your studies through personal savings, family contributions, educational loans, scholarships including International Bright Futures and part-time work. London Metropolitan University is currently listed on CanLearn's list of designated education insititutions, EI code: 'PVAR'. We have designation for BC StudentAid, Ontario OSAP and Alberta Student Aid (in some courses). Financial assistance may be available to eligible students. If you are from another province and wish to use a type of student aid, or wish to know more about student aid please contact

Do I need to pay a deposit?

Yes, students usually have to pay a deposit equal to 50% of the tuition fees for the first year. This must be paid before CAS can be assigned.

Do I need to take an English Language test?

Applicants who are Canadian nationals who have completed a high school diploma with a passing grade in English language in any Canadian territory except New Brunswick and Quebec are usually exempt from submitting English language requirements. If you have studied in an anglophone institution in Quebec and achieved a minimum of 60% in English language, will be exempted. Applicants who have studied a degree in Canada, excluding within Quebec and New Brunswick are exempt from English language requirements. Applicants who studied a degree in an anglophone institution in Quebec or New Brunswick are excluded from English language requirements.

Students who have studied within Canada but are not Canadian nationals and those who do not meet these standards must provide a Secured English Language Test (SELT) such as Academic IELTS or Pearson PTE Academic qualification. Please see our English language requirements.

Can I transfer credits from my Canadian institution to London Met?

As the English education style doesn’t include general education classes transferring credits isn’t common. If you have completed a two-year associate degree you may be considered for Year 2 entry on a case-by-case basis.

How do I choose my modules at London Met?

Modules (classes) are either core (required) or optional (select a certain number to complete). Most undergraduate courses have all core modules in the first year with more optional throughout the second and third year. For postgraduate it also depends on the course how many core or optional modules you will have. Typically, your timetable is designed for you with information provided once you arrive in the UK for orientation, and therefore you do not need to sign up to classes before arriving. If this is different your department will contact you with the relevant information to select your modules. You can see what modules are available for your course on the course page.

What are the major academic differences between the UK and Canada?

In the UK, undergraduate programs are typically more specialised from the outset, with students focusing on their chosen field of study immediately and bachelor courses lasting three years compared to four years in Canada. Assessment methods may also differ, with UK universities often placing a greater emphasis on final exams and dissertations. Additionally, the UK allows for courses to be studied at undergraduate level eg. law that may typically be at postgraduate level in Canada.

What does studying law in the UK look like?

In the UK, students can begin studying law as an undergraduate degree right after completing secondary education. The LLB Law degree typically takes three years to complete and is equivalent of a Canadian JD. London Met does not require students to take the LSAT. To practice law within Canada with an international degree you will need to have your qualification assessed by the National Committee on Accreditation. 

What does studying Physiotherapy at London Met look like?

London Met offers Physiotherapy BSc (Hons), Sport Therapy BSc (Hons) and Physiotherapy MSc (pre-registration) courses. Within the University you'll find a fully equipped Injury and Rehabilitation Clinic, skills and simulation suite and access to placements – there are plenty of opportunities that give you hands-on experience to complement your learning.

What is the grading system?

The UK university grading system uses classifications at undergraduate that are different from the percentage-based grades (GPA) in Canada.

  • First-Class Honours (1st) requires 70%+
  • Upper Second-Class Honours (2:1) requires 60-69%
  • Lower Second-Class Honours (2:2) requires 50-59%
  • Third-Class Honours (3rd) requires 40-49%
  • Fail - scores below 40%

For postgraduate studies, the UK uses a pass/merit/distinction scale, with pass usually at 50-59%, merit at 60-69%, and distinction at 70% or above.

What should I pack for my move to London?

Pack essentials like clothing (with good waterproof shoes), personal documents, electronic devices, and any specific academic materials. You will have access to a range of shops and online retailors so will be able to purchase anything you need. For electrical items, Britain uses 240 volts AC at 50HZ. Most power sockets are designed for standard three-pin square plugs. If your devices have different plugs, you'll need a plug adapter or converter. For items such as a hair dryer/straightener/curling iron it is recommended to purchase them in the UK due to Canadian items being designed for a lower voltage.

Are there any specific items I can't bring into the UK?

Certain items are restricted or prohibited from being brought into the UK, such as controlled drugs, weapons, and certain food products. Check the UK government website for a full list. Please be aware that self-defence weapons such as bear/pepper spray are illegal in the UK. It is also advised to check all medicine before travelling.

Will my Canadian mobile phone work in the UK?

This depends on your phone and your carrier. It's best to check with your provider; you may need to unlock your phone before traveling. We typically recommend students get a UK SIM card for local and cheaper rates. These can be purchased at the airport, online or at several high street (main street) retailers.

What laws in the UK are different that I should be aware of?

The legal drinking age is 18, driving is on the left side of the road, and there are strict anti-weapon laws (bear spray is illegal) in addition to strict smoking and drug laws. It's also important to familiarise yourself with the UK's laws on acceptable behaviour, hate speech, and drug use, as they may differ from Canada.

What are the biggest cultural differences I might experience in London?

While Canada and UK share a common language and many cultural elements, you'll likely encounter distinct differences in London, such as the importance placed on politeness, queuing, and a less widespread tipping culture. The British approach to humour, language nuances, and day-to-day interactions may also differ from those in Canada.

What language differences should I be aware of between Canadian and British English?

Be prepared for different spellings, vocabulary, and idiomatic expressions. For example, 'apartment' is 'flat'and 'elevator' is 'lift'. Key spelling differences include the use of ‘s’ instead of ‘z’ in words like realise, specialise, and summarise. The date format within the UK is Day / Month / Year and it is also common for the UK to use the 24-hour clock format eg, 18:00 instead of 6pm. Finally, the UK using a mix of metric and imperial measurements eg, temperature is measured in Celsius whereas the road speed limit is in miles.

This guide is designed to help you navigate through the various differences in terminology between Canada and the United Kingdom. While we've provided close equivalents, each country's unique administrative and cultural context means that a direct comparison might not always align precisely. We encourage you to use this guide as a starting point and conduct further research if you need specific and detailed information. 

Academic terms

Canadian term

UK equivalent

Residance Halls of residence
Faculty (As in a Division) School or department
Grade Mark
Grade Point Average (GPA) Degree classification
Major Degree course
Minor Elective module – some courses may also offer 'joint honours' where you can combine subject areas
Public School State school


Canadian term

UK equivalent

Apartment Flat
Cell phone Mobile
Elevator Lift
Fall Autumn
First floor Ground floor
Lawyer Solicitor/barrister – Legal professionals; 'solicitors' generally handle legal advice and 'barristers' represent clients in court.
Public holiday Bank holiday
Realtor Estate agent
Resume CV (curriculum vitae)
Round trip ticket Return ticket
Semester Term
Soccer Football
Social Insurance Number (SIN) National Insurance Number (NIN)
Subway Underground/tube


We have a local representative based in British Columbia, Canada, who travels to school and college fairs, large fairs (eg. NACAC) and conferences. We are happy to visit high schools and partner institutions virtually and in-person. Please get in touch by emailing In the meantime, you can check out our entry requirements and advice for students from the USA and Canada.

DateLocationFurther information
Ongoing Online Book a virtual 121
Ongoing London, UK Book an international campus tour
Ongoing London, UK Book an international counsellor campus tour
17 Sept 2024

New York City, New York

CIS international university fair

18 Sept 2024 Atlanta, Georgia CIS international university fair
21 Sept 2024 Toronto, Ontario SIUK Toronto fair
24 Sept 2024 Vancouver, British Columbia SIUK Vancouver fair
26 - 28 Sept 2024 LA, California NACAC Conference 

Please find below a list of key terms around UK higher education. We have also created a document with key terms  you can download and save. 


Key term



A unique word provided by a school (if they are registered as a UCAS centre) that acts as a key identifier, linking a student's undergraduate application with the school. This allows them to track the application and upload references and relevant information.


A UCAS process that allows students to find and apply for university courses that still have vacancies, typically after the main application period. Whilst the date that UK universities open for Clearing varies, many will have it available on A-Level results day (typically the second Thursday in August). While Clearing is open to all students, it particularly supports those who did not receive the grades they needed for their conditional offer or those who exceeded their conditions. It varies as to whether universities allow international students to apply via Clearing due to the short time between Clearing opening and term starting, meaning visas can be difficult to acquire.

Conditional Offer

An offer of a place at a university that is dependent on the applicant meeting specific conditions, often related to exam results or other qualifications.

Firm Choice

In the UCAS application process, the firm choice is the student's preferred and first choice university.

Insurance Choice

In the UCAS application process, the insurance choice and second choice serves as a backup in case the firm choice is not secured, for example, by not meeting the academic conditions.


A colloquial term combining "Oxford" and "Cambridge," referring to the University of Oxford and the University of Cambridge in the UK. You can only apply to one of these universities per year on your UCAS application.

Personal Statement

written document submitted with a university application (like a college application essay), in which the student details what course they want to study, why they want to study it and what makes them a good candidate for that course. 

Tariff Points

numerical system assigned to different qualifications and grades provides a standardised way for universities to assess and compare applicants' academic achievements.

Teacher Reference

A written recommendation provided by a teacher or advisor as part of the UCAS application. Recent changes to the teachers' reference have created three separate sections covering general information about a school, extenuating circumstances and supportive information about the applicant that is relevant to the course.


The Universities and Colleges Admissions Service, a central application service for students applying to higher education institutions in the UK.

UCAS Centre

A UCAS centre is an educational institution or organisation registered with UCAS, allowing students to make their application through that institution. It is free for a school to become a centre with more information provided on the UCAS website.

UCAS Extra

A UCAS service allowing students who have used all five choices and haven't received any offers to apply for additional courses one at a time.

UCAS Track

An online system that allows applicants to track the progress of their UCAS application, including offers, replies, and the status of chosen universities.

Unconditional Offer

An offer of a place at a university without any specified conditions, indicating that the applicant has already met the necessary requirements.

For additional information on UCAS key terms and abbreviations please see their website. 


Key term


2:1 (Upper Second)

Denotes a specific classification of an undergraduate degree, typically awarded for achieving a mark between 60% and 69%.

2:2 (Lower Second)

Represents another classification of an undergraduate degree, indicating a performance within the range of 50% to 59%.

Adv Dip Pro Dev

Advanced Diploma in Professional Development, a program designed to enhance professional skills and knowledge beyond the undergraduate level.


Advanced Level qualifications usually taken by students aged 16-18. They are subject-specific and widely used for university admissions in the UK.


Bachelor of Arts, an undergraduate academic degree typically awarded in the arts, humanities, or social sciences.


Bachelor of Engineering, an undergraduate academic degree awarded in the field of engineering.


Bachelor of Science, an undergraduate academic degree typically awarded in the natural sciences, mathematics, or related disciplines.


Bachelor of Social Science, an undergraduate academic degree in social sciences, encompassing disciplines like sociology and anthropology.


Business and Technology Education Council qualifications, offering a more vocational and practical approach than A-Levels usually taken by students aged 16-18.


Doctor of Business Administration, a doctoral-level academic degree emphasising practical application of business knowledge and research.


Refers to the highest classification of an undergraduate degree, indicating outstanding academic achievement and typically a mark of 70% or above.


General Certificate of Secondary Education, taken by students aged 14-16. GCSEs cover a range of subjects and are crucial for further education and employment.


Graduate Diploma in Law, a conversion course for individuals with a non-law degree seeking to qualify as solicitors or barristers.

Honours Degree (Hons)

Honours, denoting an undergraduate degree program focused on specialisation and typically awarded to students with higher academic achievements.


Bachelor of Law, an undergraduate academic degree in law.


Master of Laws, a postgraduate academic degree in law, often pursued for advanced specialisation in legal studies.


Master of Arts, a postgraduate academic degree that follows a bachelor's degree and often involves advanced study in the arts or humanities.


Master of Architecture is a postgraduate academic degree for individuals pursuing advanced studies and architectural qualifications.


Master of Business Administration, a postgraduate academic degree focusing on business and management principles.


Master of Fine Arts, a postgraduate academic degree focused on creative and visual arts, including areas such as painting, sculpture, and writing.


Master of Philosophy, a postgraduate academic degree that often involves a combination of coursework and research.


Master of Science, a postgraduate academic degree awarded in various scientific and technical fields.

PG Cert

Postgraduate Certificate, a short program providing specialised knowledge and skills, often completed in less time than a full master's degree.

PG Dip

Postgraduate Diploma, a more extensive program than a certificate, offering in-depth study and often serving as a pathway to a master's degree.


Doctor of Philosophy, the highest academic degree awarded in various fields, requires original research and a doctoral thesis submission.

Prof Doc

Professional Doctorate is a doctoral-level qualification focused on applying research to professional practice in various fields.


Qualified Teacher Status is a professional accreditation in the UK allowing individuals to teach in state-maintained schools.


The classification below 2:2, indicates a pass but with lower overall academic performance typically awarded for achieving a mark between 40% and 49%.


A vocational qualification introduced in the UK, focusing on technical skills and practical experience in a specific industry.

To see what type of qualification your London Metropolitan University degree holds, please see our course finder.

General higher education

Key term


Alumni association

An organisation connecting former students (alumni) with their former university, fostering networking, mentorship, and support opportunities.


Financial aid provided to students based on financial need. Bursaries can assist with tuition fees, living expenses, or other educational costs. Bursaries within the UK are typically for domestic students; however, international students may be able to access other financial aid through scholarships and grants.

Campus university

A way to refer to the style and location of a UK university that offers distinct environments for student life. A campus university has a more self-contained campus setting and may be based in a more suburban area or away from the inner city.

Career services

University-provided resources and support to help students explore career options, develop job-search skills, and transition into the workforce after graduation. Careers services can often help students look for part-time work during their studies and work placements.

City university

A way to refer to the style and location of a UK university that offers distinct environments for student life. A city university is located within an urban area, possibly with multiple locations.

Core modules

Core modules are mandatory components of a program. As a generalisation, within the UK, undergraduate courses start with more core modules, and as the student progresses through the years, more optional modules become available to them. London Metropolitan University includes a list of our course's core and optional modules on the individual course pages.

Course rep/representative

A student elected or appointed to represent the views and concerns of their peers to academic staff and university management.

Course syllabus

An outline of the topics, readings, and assessments covered in an academic course. The syllabus provides a roadmap for students throughout the academic year.


Assignments, projects, or tasks that students complete as part of their course assessment.


An extended piece of academic writing involving in-depth research on a specific topic. Within the UK, it is common for undergraduate students to complete a dissertation within their final year. It is typically required for postgraduate study,

Distance learning

A mode of study where students engage in courses remotely, often online, without attending physical classes on campus.


The process of officially registering for courses and becoming a student at a university for a specific academic term. Within the UK, students do not typically have to sign up for modules before their arrival. However, this varies between institutions.

Examination period

The specific time frame during which formal exams take place, usually at the end of a term or academic year. Within the UK, these typically take place in December or January and/or May or June for undergraduate students.

Foundation year

An additional preparatory year before the start of a degree program, designed to provide essential knowledge and skills to students who may need extra support.

Freshers' week/welcome week

The initial week of the academic year features orientation activities, social events, and introductions to university life.

Gap year

A break typically taken by students between finishing high school and starting university, often spent traveling, working, or engaging in volunteer activities.

Halls of residence

Another term for student dormitories. Halls of residence, commonly referred to as ‘halls’, offer various room options and communal facilities, fostering a sense of community among residents. These can be owned by the university or private companies. Within the UK, it is typical for students to have a private bedroom with options for personal bathrooms (ensuite). Halls can be catered (food provided like a meal plan) or self-catered (kitchen provided to complete your own cooking).

International orientation

A period, often just before the start of the academic term, where international students are invited to campus for sessions covering information relevant to them such as visa compliance, setting up bank accounts, UK laws and more. Not all institutions will provide this however London Metropolitan University does. 


A period of work experience related to a student's field of study, providing practical skills and insights into the industry.


A formal, instructor-led presentation or talk on a specific subject, usually delivered to a large group of students.

Library resources

Various materials and services are available to students in a university library, including books, journals, electronic databases and study spaces.


A self-contained unit of study within a course, often with its own set of learning objectives, assessment methods, and academic credit value. In other countries, this is referred to as a 'class'.

Module handbook

A document outlining details of a specific academic module, including objectives, assessment methods, reading lists, and other relevant information.

Open day

An event hosted by universities to showcase their campus, facilities, and academic programs, allowing prospective students to explore and gather information. You can see all upcoming London Metropolitan University open days and campus tours on our events page.

Optional modules

Another term for an elective. Optional modules allow students to choose which classes they would like to attend. These are often still within their subject area but allow students to select where they would like to specialise. The students are often told how many optional modules they can take per year. As a generalisation, within the UK, undergraduate courses start with more core modules, and as students progress through the years, more optional modules become available to them. London Metropolitan University includes a list of our course's core and optional modules on the individual course pages.

Personal tutor

An assigned academic staff member who provides guidance, support, and advice to students throughout their academic journey.


The act of presenting someone else's work, ideas, or intellectual property as one's own without proper acknowledgement considered academic misconduct. This extends to the personal statement within the application.


Education pursued after the completion of an undergraduate degree. Includes master's degrees, PhDs, and other advanced qualifications.

Reading week

A designated week during the term when students are encouraged to focus on independent study, catch up on reading, and prepare for upcoming assessments.


The opportunity for a student to retake an exam or assessment after an initial attempt, often due to a suboptimal performance. Often marks for resits are capped at a pass rate; however, this depends on the course and institution.

Sandwich/ placement year

A year within an undergraduate degree where students undertake work placements or study abroad to gain practical experience in their field, often between Year 2 and 3.


An award granted to students based on academic merit, talent, or other criteria. Scholarships may cover tuition fees, living expenses, or both. You can review London Metropolitan University’s scholarships on our funding pages.


A division of the academic year, usually consisting of two terms. Within the UK, universities typically use a three-term or two-semester system. London Metropolitan University uses the three-term system.


A collaborative and interactive session where students engage in discussions, debates, and group activities related to the course material often led by a lecturer or facilitator.

Student Loan

Financial assistance provided to students for tuition fees and living expenses, often offered by government or private institutions. Domestic students use funding such as Student Finance England whereas international students may be able to access this from their home countries such as US federal loans.

Student society/club

An organisation run by and for students, focusing on shared interests, hobbies, or activities. Societies provide opportunities for socialisation and personal development.

Student support services

Resources and services provided by universities to assist students with academic, personal, or emotional challenges. London Metropolitan University offers services such as counselling, disability and dyslexiacareers and more. We also have a dedicated international and adviceteam.

Students' Union

An organisation representing students within a university, providing services, support, and organising social and recreational activities.


A specific period of the academic year, typically divided into three terms (autumn, spring, and summer). Within the UK, universities typically use a three-term or two-semester system. London Metropolitan University uses the three-term system.


A record of a student's academic performance detailing courses taken, grades received, and other relevant information.


A small-group session, often led by a tutor, focusing on discussion, clarification of course material, and addressing students' questions.


Refers to the level of education that comes before a student earns their first degree. Undergraduate programs typically include bachelor's degrees.

For additional London Metropolitan University specific terms please see our glossary

Our international team

We offer a welcoming and supportive environment situated in one of the world’s greatest cities. Our international students come from all over the world, giving you the opportunity to meet people from a variety of different backgrounds. No matter where you're from, we'll ensure you have the best possible university experience and, if you need support during your time with us, our international advisers can provide valuable information and advice.

Search for all courses

Fees and funding

Funding is often available to help you with your course fees. Find out more about our scholarships and our early payment discount.

Find out more about life in London

Living in London is a fantastic experience as a student – with so many places to explore, things to do and people to meet. Whether it's working in the UK, the cost of living or how to register with a doctor, we understand that as an international student you may have some questions and concerns about moving to London – we hope that the information below will help answer your questions.