Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS)
If you need a Tier 4 visa for your course you need a Confirmation of Acceptance of Studies (CAS). You will be notified when you can request your CAS using the “My immigration information” section in the Applicant Portal, which is usually available three to four months before the start of the course or semester you're joining.
In order to begin the CAS request process you will need to have accepted an unconditional offer of study for your main academic course and/or a pre-sessional English course (if applicable).
Before requesting your CAS
Before you can request a CAS you will need to make your tuition fee payment and prepare your CAS application documents in PDF format for upload. You need to do this do this before entering the "My immigration information" in the Applicant Portal.
You will be asked for your deposit payment information (and to upload a scanned receipt) as part of your CAS request. For most students this will be 50% of the course fee (for postgraduates), 50% of your first year course fee (for undergraduates) or 100% of the course fee English Language courses or other one-semester courses.
Making your tuition fee payment
There are several methods of payment available to you. Please read our important payment information on ways to pay in order to choose your payment method and read associated information. Sponsored students or scholarship winners should also read this information to confirm the information needed to waive the deposit requirement, and to confirm your sponsorship in your CAS request. If you have not already, please make your deposit payment.
Prepare your documents
Once you have made your tuition fee payment, you should prepare all of your documents for upload to your record. You will need a PDF copy of the following documents:
- your payment information payment/sponsorship evidence (payment receipt(s)/official sponsorship letter)
- your current valid passport (photo page)
- a copy of any previous/current UK visa(s) (if you have studied in the UK previously)
Please ensure that all of the files you intend to upload are correctly titled according to their contents.
Obtain your CAS
You need to work through all tasks in the "My immigration information" section of the Applicant Portal to obtain your CAS. You will be contacted when each part of the process is made available to you:
- Upload your financial documentation – At this stage you'll need to upload your financial documents for review.
- Review your draft CAS – At this stage you can confirm or correct the information we send to the UK Home Office before we issue your final CAS.
- View and use your final CAS – At this stage you can review your final CAS and print the final CAS details that have been issued to you.
Upload your financial documentation
Please follow the following advice to ensure you complete the process correctly.
- Log in to the "My Immigration Information" section of the Applicant Portal – your CAS request must be completed in one action (at one time).
- Answer all questions relating to your CAS request and your immigration history.
- Provide full details of your deposit payment/scholarship/sponsorship and follow the prompt to upload your payment evidence.
- Input your passport information and upload your passport copy when prompted.
- Input any previous UK visa information and upload corresponding visa copies when prompted.
You must complete your CAS request (with screen confirmation) before your payment details can be verified by the finance team. Email confirmation of your fee payment receipt will be sent to you when your payment has been confirmed. The payment processing time depends on the method of payment you have made (some bank transfers and bank drafts can take up to seven days to clear into the University’s account).
When you have completed your CAS request, and your payment has subsequently been confirmed, the CAS processing team will take your CAS request forward and begin preparing your CAS details. Please see CAS processing times below for a brief estimation of payment and CAS processing times.
Review your draft CAS
The review of your draft CAS is your chance to tell us if there are any errors or omissions on your student record before we create your final CAS. You will be contacted when your draft CAS is available to view. At this point you must log into the "My Immigration information" in the Applicant Portal to view and confirm whether your details are correct. You will be required to confirm them to us on screen.
When your draft CAS is issued you should ensure that you check the following details:
- your personal details (eg your full name should appear as it is listed on your passport)
- your passport details (your passport number and nationality)
- your course information (title, course dates and level of study)
- your tuition fee information, including what you have paid
- your qualification details (institution(s) names, subject(s) and result(s)/grade(s)
- the start and end date of your course
Please note: We may also contact you to provide further information or documentation as part of the CAS process. If you receive an additional information request relating to your CAS, please respond to this with the utmost urgency, as failing to do so may delay the issue of your CAS.
View and use your final CAS
Once you have completed the process outline above you will receive an email to confirm that your final CAS has been issued and is ready for you to view and use in order to apply for your Tier 4 student visa.
Please note, the Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS) is an electronic record/reference number and not an official document. You will need the CAS number contained in your CAS statement when completing your application for a Tier 4 (General) student visa.
CAS processing times
The following information is provided as a guide and all processing times listed are approximate. We may ask you for further information during the CAS request process. Please respond promptly to avoid delays in obtaining your CAS.
You will receive an email at each stage and any point where action or information is required from you.
|Payment type||Processing time|
|Bank transfer||Five to 10 working days|
|Bank draft||Five to 10 working days|
|Card/telephone payment||Three to five working days|
Following your payment has been confirmed, it may take around seven to 10 working days for your draft CAS to be issued.
If an amendment is requested, this is likely to take around one to two working days to process.
After your draft CAS has been confirmed and financial documents have been approved it will take around one to two working days for your final CAS to be issued.
Applying for your Tier 4 visa
When you obtain your final CAS it is imperative you consider the following steps and advice:
- View and confirm receipt of your CAS in the "My immigration information" section of the Applicant Portal.
- You can return to the "My immigration information" section to view and print your CAS details at any time.
- Check you have prepared your finances in accordance with the Home Office's Tier 4 student visa application requirements.
- Check you have official copies of all of your documents in accordance with the Home Office's Tier 4 visa application requirements.
- Check your bank statements/financial documents will still be valid when you submit your visa application. Remember that any statement/financial document(s) used is valid for only one month from the closing balance indicated in the document. You must make your visa application within this period.
- Think about when you're going to submit your visa application and make sure you're aware of how long your visa application will take.
- Read our immigration and arrival advice for new students for advice on applying for your visa from inside and outside of the UK.
Confirming your visa outcome
We will monitor the status of the CAS we have issued to you and contact you to obtain updates on the progress of your visa application. Once you are granted a Tier 4 (General) student visa, you will be asked to upload a copy of your visa in your "My immigration information" as part of the pre-enrolment process.
You will receive separate information about joining the University.
If you have a question or need help with your CAS, you can contact our CAS processing team or international student advice team.
CAS processing queries: email@example.com
Visa advice: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please always give your name and student ID when contacting the University.