Medical care in the UK

We want to make sure you're safe and well during your time at London Met. Here are a few things you should be aware of when it comes to healthcare in the UK.

Registering with a doctor 

You should register with a local general practitioner (GP) practice as soon as possible and preferably before you actually need to see a doctor about an illness. You can can find a list of your local GPs on the NHS website. Check the range of services offered by each of the GP practices so that you can make an informed choice about which practice to register with. You may want to consider whether there are both male and female doctors and whether there are additional services and clinics offered.

If you're a national of a European Economic Area (EEA) country and you're studying on a course lasting less than six months then you are strongly advised to bring a valid European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) with you, otherwise you may be charged for your healthcare.

If medicines are prescribed by a doctor a prescription charge is made per item, which is currently £9.00. 

If you're not eligible for free healthcare you're strongly advised to take out private medical insurance from a reputable company to cover yourself and any dependants before you leave home.

You can find a walk-in clinic on the NHS website. These clinics allow you to turn up and wait to see a doctor or nurse, and then pay on the spot.

Medical history

If you'll be registering with a doctor, please ensure you bring the following information for yourself and your family (if they're coming with you):

  • details of any past illnesses requiring medical treatment
  • a full record of past immunisations
  • adequate medication to cover the first few weeks at University (if you're currently taking medicines) 


If you're eligible for NHS treatment you'll be eligible for treatment by a dentist accepting NHS patients (although this is not free treatment it is cheaper than private treatment). You can find an NHS dentist on the NHS website.

Eye tests and opticians

Eye tests are available at opticians, which can be found in the high street. You'll have to pay a charge of around £25 for an eye test. You'll need to pay for lenses and frames which can cost from £35 to over £350.

Further information:
National Health Service
Health and Healthcare for International Students (UKCISA)

A student sitting in a chair