Congratulations on your offer!

Congratulations! You have an offer of a place to study with us!

We've put together a simple step-by-step guide on what you need to do now. Have a read through and if you still have any questions, don't hesitate to contact us:

Tara Murphy, Senior International Officer (North America) – based in British Columbia

Get in touch:

Offer holder webinar

  • Title: Next Steps to London Met: A Guide for Canadian Offer Holders
  • Date: Monday 22 April 2024
  • Time: 2:00 PM PT | 3:00 PM MT | 4:00 PM CT | 5:00 PM ET
  • Description: We'll dive deep into what you need to prepare for your transition to the UK – covering admissions procedures, funding applications, visa processes, moving logistics, budgeting essentials and what to anticipate upon arrival. More than just an informational webinar, this is a golden opportunity to interact directly with London Met staff and have your pressing questions answered.

Register here

Canadian student Jerina Forestall posing in front of Tower Bridge

"I was thrilled to know that London Met was located in close proximity to London's city centre. I knew I would be able to access everything I needed during my studies in a city hub like London and feel well connected should I want to travel, take part in extracurriculars and meet new people."

Jerina Forestall – student from Canada

Step 1 – Offer: Understand your offer conditions

You need to read the conditions listed on the letter carefully and make sure you fulfil all of them. You may need to provide more documents such as your academic certificates or English language requirements. Candian nationals who have completed their studies in any Canadian territory except New Brunswick and Quebec are usually exempt from submitting English language requirements. Those who have completed the studies in an anglophone institution in Quebec or New Brunswick may also be exempt please see Candian entry requirements for more information.

Please upload digital copies of all documents listed as conditions on the applicant portal. You can upload documents at any time and at different times depending on when you receive them.

How do I accept my offer?

You can accept your offer by following the instructions on your offer letter. If you have applied via UCAS, you can accept your offer on the UCAS Hub. If you have applied directly, you can accept it on the applicant portal.

Can I accept a conditional offer?

Yes, you can! If you have decided that you want to study with us, you can accept your offer even if it is conditional.

Once we receive all the required documents and you have accepted your offer, you will progress onto the next step.

Find out more about your offer.

Step 2 – Finances: Make a deposit payment and request your CAS


If you have student funding, we can sign and confirm pre-enrolment information and confirmation of ongoing attendance each year. You can send your forms to See below for additional funding opportunity such as scholarships. 

Paying your deposit

Once you have met all the requirements, you will be invited to make a deposit payment and complete the "Request your CAS" task. Please keep an eye out for an email from us with the subject line: You can now pay your deposit and request your CAS

All students need to complete the ‘proof of payment’ task.

Please be aware these are two tasks. 

  1. Complete payment
  2. Confirm proof of payment. 

When you are this stage we will send you an email with two links to complete the two tasks. 

Request your CAS

After the above tasks are complete, you can follow the link in your email and request your CAS.

Step 3 – Get an unconditional offer and create your CAS Shield system account

Our Finance team will confirm your deposit payment. A confirmation email will be sent to you directly. Once your deposit is confirmed, our admissions team will issue an unconditional offer.

After your unconditional offer, you will receive an invitation from to request a CAS document through the CAS Shield system. This will allow you to track the progress of your CAS request and provide any documents or information as needed.

Step 4 – Familiarise yourself with the immigration and visa regulations

As an international student, you are normally required to obtain a student visa before entering the UK to study. In order to obtain a Student Visa, you must first:

  • firmly accept your unconditional offer
  • prepare to pay the NHS surcharge – this can usually be done at the same time as the visa application and your one-time visa application fee
  • meet all conditions of your offer – ensure you are holding an unconditional offer
  • complete and return the Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS) request form online as instructed in your email

Please make sure you complete the above steps as early as possible. However, please note, CAS letters will not be issued until six months before the start of your programme. You must then complete all further steps required to obtain the visa as indicated on the CAS pages on our website.

Please note you will need to attend an in-person appointment to provide biometric information (photo and fingerprints). There are a number of centres across Canada. You can find a list of centres here.

We recommend booking your flights to the UK after you receive your visa.

What is the CAS?

CAS is an acronym for Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies. The CAS is an electronic letter issued by London Met indicating that a student has accepted their unconditional offer to London Met, and has paid the initial deposit. Once the CAS has been issued, the student can begin the visa process. A student must accept their unconditional offer and pay their deposit (if applicable) before they receive a CAS.

Step 5 – Apply for accommodation

You need to apply for accommodation as soon as you've accepted your offer. Our halls of residence are managed by third-party providers, not by the University, so you need to apply directly to the hall of residence you've chosen. Please note that although there are plenty of options available, accommodation is not guaranteed and is allocated on a first come, first served basis.

View a full list of halls of residence with prices, locations and how to apply.

Have questions? Get the answers to frequently asked questions about accommodation.

An illustration of students outside a hall of residence

"I had always dreamed of living in London. It lived up to my dreams and more. London life is cutting edge and exciting, and I feel incredibly grateful to have had professors with such relevant experience."

Rachel Gasparini – Journalism graduate

Step 6 – Find out more about life in London

Living in London is a fantastic experience as a student – with so many places to explore, things to do and people to meet. Whether it's working in the UK, the cost of living or how to register with a doctor, we understand that as an international student you may have some questions and concerns about moving to London – we hope that the information below will help answer your questions.

"The careers service at London Met was excellent, not only in supporting me at the beginning of my career but also in developing the job search skills which I still use today."

Fabio Massaro – Marketing student

Apply for funding

Funding is often available to help you with your course fees. Take a look at the information below to find out more about scholarships, our early payment discount and more.


General enquiries +44 (0)20 7133 3317
Immigration advice +44 (0)20 7133 4186
Admissions/ application updates:   
Financial aid   

Find all our methods of contact and speak with our students directly.

Visa and Immigration

Do I need a visa to study in the UK?

Students with a Canadian passport studying at higher education full-time for more than six months typically require a student visa. London Met's International advice team supports students in understanding how to apply and meet all the requirements, including demonstrating that you have sufficient funds to cover your course fees and living costs, for UK visa

How do I apply for a student visa?

To apply for a student visa, you need an offer from a UK university where you have demonstrated your academic ability, English language proficiency, a valid passport, and financial evidence that you can support yourself. If you meet all the requirements, you will be provided with a CAS and can apply online through the UK Visas and Immigration website. Please note you will need to attend an in-person appointment to provide biometric information (e.g., photo and fingerprints). There are several centres across Canada. You may need to send your passport away during the visa process, please keep this in mind if you have any international travel planned.

My family wants to visit me in London, do they need a visa?

This depends on their passport, length of stay, and plans while travelling. They can use the UK government website to check if and what visa they need. The UK government has announced a plan to gradually roll out Electronic Travel Authorisation (ETAs) from 2024, requiring travellers to apply online prior to travel, including Canadian citizens. Please check the government website before travelling.

Can I work while studying at London Met?

Yes, with a student visa, you are typically allowed to work up to 20 hours per week during term time. Find out more about working in the UK.

What opportunities are there for post-study work in the UK after graduation?

The UK currently offers the Graduate Route visa, allowing international students to stay and work in the UK for two years after completing their degree.


How can I fund my studies at London Met?

You can fund your studies through personal savings, family contributions, educational loans, scholarships including International Bright Futures and part-time work.

Do I need to pay a deposit?

Yes, students usually have to pay a deposit equal to 50% of the tuition fees for the first year. This must be paid before CAS can be assigned.

What expenses should I be budgeting for?

You should account for several key expenses: your course tuition fees, accommodation costs, visa application fees, the NHS healthcare surcharge, cost to travel to a visa centre, daily living expenses (such as food, bills, and local travel), initial and return flight costs, academic supplies, and personal insurance. It's also advisable to set aside funds for leisure activities and unforeseen expenses. 

Do I need to pay taxes as a student in the UK?

As a student, you're typically exempt from paying council tax (like a property tax), however, if you live with non-students this may be required. You should request a Council tax exemption letter from your school office and then give it to your local council office. If you work part-time, you may need to pay income tax and national insurance if your earnings exceed the personal allowance threshold. Also, VAT (value-added tax, equivalent to sales tax) is typically included in the price of most goods and services. Finally, if you have a television in your home or watch online programming such as BBC iPlayer you may need to purchase a TV License.

What is the cost of living in London for a student?

The cost of living varies, but students should budget for accommodation, bills, food, travel, books, and personal expenses. International students applying for a visa are required to demonstrate the ability to cover tuition and living experiences.

Applying and London Met

What are the entry requirements for London Met?

You can view entry requirements for Canadian students here. 

Do I need to take an English Language test?

Applicants who are Canadian nationals who have completed a high school diploma with a passing grade in English language in any Canadian territory except New Brunswick and Quebec are usually exempt from submitting English language requirements. If you have studied in an anglophone institution in Quebec and achieved a minimum of 60% in English language, will be exempted. Applicants who have studied a degree in Canada, excluding within Quebec and New Brunswick are exempt from English language requirements. Applicants who studied a degree in an anglophone institution in Quebec or New Brunswick are excluded from English language requirements.

Students who have studied within Canada but are not Canadian nationals and those who do not meet these standards must provide a Secured English Language Test (SELT) such as Academic IELTS or Pearson PTE Academic qualification. Please see our English language requirements.

What is UCAS and how does it work?

UCAS (Universities and Colleges Admissions Service) is the centralised service that students use to apply to undergraduate courses in the UK. International applicants wanting to study full-time, can choose to apply via UCAS or directly to the University. Schools can be linked to an applicant if they are a UCAS centre, where they can upload teacher references.

Can I transfer credits from my Canadian institution to London Met?

As the English education style doesn’t include general education classes transferring credits isn’t common. If you have completed a 2-year associate degree you may be considered for Year 2 entry on a case-by-case basis.

What should I include in my personal statement?

Your personal statement should reflect your academic interests, career goals, relevant work or study experience, and motivations for choosing the course. The UK puts greater emphasis on your academic focus. Follow the ABCs guide as a writing example:

A) Activity – what did you do
B) Benefit – what skill, knowledge or experience did you gain
C) Course – how does it link to your course,
s) Specific – examples, key words, scholars etc.

How soon after applying can I expect a decision?

For questions about applying, including how we make decisions, how to check on an application's progress and more, check out our applying FAQs.

How do I choose my modules at London Met?

Modules (classes) are either core (required) or optional (select a certain number to complete). Most undergraduate courses have all core modules in the first year with more optional throughout the second and third year. For postgraduate it also depends on the course how many core or optional modules you will have. Typically, your timetable is designed for you with information provided once you arrive in the UK for orientation, and therefore you do not need to sign up to classes before arriving. If this is different your department will contact you with the relevant information to select your modules. You can see what modules are available for your course on the course page.

What are the major academic differences between the UK and Canada?

In the UK, undergraduate programs are typically more specialized from the outset, with students focusing on their chosen field of study immediately and bachelor courses lasting 3 years compared to four years in Canada. Assessment methods may also differ, with UK universities often placing a greater emphasis on final exams and dissertations. Additionally, the UK allows for courses to be studied at undergraduate level e.g. Law that may typically be at postgraduate level in Canada.

What does studying Law in the UK look like?

In the UK, students can begin studying Law as an undergraduate degree right after completing secondary education. The LLB Law degree typically takes three years to complete and is equivalent of a Canadian JD. London Met does not require students to take the LSAT. To practice Law within Canada with an international degree you will need to have your qualification assessed by the National Committee on Accreditation. 

What does studying Physiotherapy at London Met look like?

London Met offers Physiotherapy BSc (Hons), Sport Therapy BSc (Hons) and Physiotherapy MSc (pre-registration) courses. Within the University you'll find a fully equipped Injury and Rehabilitation Clinic, skills and simulation suite and access to placements – there are plenty of opportunities that give you hands-on experience to complement your learning.

What are the term dates at London Met?

The academic term dates (equivalent to semester) vary depending on your level of study and start date. Within the UK it is common to have larger breaks around Christmas, Easter and the summer.

What is the grading system?

The UK university grading system uses classifications at undergraduate that are different from the percentage-based grades (GPA) in Canada.

  • First-Class Honours (1st) requires 70%+
  • Upper Second-Class Honours (2:1) requires 60-69%
  • Lower Second-Class Honours (2:2) requires 50-59%
  • Third-Class Honours (3rd) requires 40-49%
  • Fail - scores below 40%

 For postgraduate studies, the UK uses a pass/merit/distinction scale, with pass usually at 50-59%, merit at 60-69%, and distinction at 70% or above.

What support services are available for international students at London Met?

London Met offers various support services, including library services, counselling, career advice, clinics, disability and dyslexia (including mental health) and many more.

What extracurricular activities does London Met offer?

London Met offers a range of extracurricular activities, including sports teams, societies, social spaces, and cultural events.

How can I meet other international students when I arrive?

London Met has various societies and clubs, including international student groups. For students arriving in September or January we arrange international orientation a few days prior to general orientation where you can meet other international students.

Can I speak with a London Met representative?

Yes, our Senior International Officer (North America) is based in Kelowna, BC and is available for virtual 121 meetings. You can also check out our meet us overseas page to see the events we are attending in person in Canada. Finally, you can message with any specific questions. 

Accommodation and living in London

What accommodation options are available for students at London Met?

London Met does not own or manage any halls of residence (student dormitories); however, there are several privately owned halls providers. Alternatively, students may choose to search for privately rented accommodation. More information can be found on our accommodation pages, including answers to the most commonly asked questions about accommodation

What is it like for students to live in the UK?

Moving to a new country can be both exciting and overwhelming at times. We have created these student life webpages to cover a range of topics, such as safety, medical care, opening a bank account and more. 

How safe is London?

London is a major city with a generally good safety record, but like any urban area, it's important to stay aware of your surroundings and take the usual precautions. Find out more about personal safety and common scams. In an emergency, dial 999 for immediate assistance from police, fire, ambulance, or coastguard services, for non-emergency enquiries contact 101.

How can I travel around London?

London has an extensive, 24-hour, public transport system, including buses, the Tube (subway), trains, trams, boats, and bicycles. Students can apply for a student Oyster card for discounted fares and may be eligible for a railcard. Due to the extensive transport system most US students chose not to get a car whilst studying at London Met however you can find out more information about driving in the UK. Whilst living in London you will be in easy reach of cities across the UK and Europe with London being a hub for coach and train travel and served by 6 airports and the Eurostar.

How do I access medical care, and do I need health insurance to study in the UK?

As an international student, you'll have access to the National Health Service (NHS) through the immigration health surcharge paid whilst applying for your visa. You may also opt for additional private health insurance. You should register with a General Practitioner (GP) as soon as possible once you arrive in the UK. More information can be found on our health page including information about bringing you medical history and dental care. For non-emergency medical attention, you can visit a local GP, walk-in centre or call 111. In an emergency, you should call 999 and/or go to the nearest hospital's Accident and Emergency department (A&E).

What happens if I experience homesickness?

It's natural to feel homesick. London Met's student support services can offer advice, and connecting with fellow students and joining societies can help.

What should I pack for my move to London?

Pack essentials like clothing (with good waterproof shoes), personal documents, electronic devices, and any specific academic materials. You will have access to a range of shops and online retailors so will be able to purchase anything you need. For electrical items, Britain uses 240 volts AC at 50HZ. Most power sockets are designed for standard three-pin square plugs. If your devices have different plugs, you'll need a plug adapter or converter. For items such as a hair dryer/straightener/curling iron it is recommended to purchase them in the UK due to US items being designed for a lower voltage.

Are there any specific items I can't bring into the UK?

Certain items are restricted or prohibited from being brought into the UK, such as controlled drugs, weapons, and certain food products. Check the UK government website for a full list. Please be aware that self-defence weapons such as bear/pepper spray are illegal in the UK. It is also advised to check all medicine before travelling.

Do I need to open a UK bank account?

While it's not mandatory, having a UK bank account can make financial management easier, including paying bills and receiving any potential UK income. You must be studying for more than six months to be able to open a UK bank account.

Will my Canadian mobile phone work in the UK?

This depends on your phone and your carrier. It's best to check with your provider; you may need to unlock your phone before traveling. We typically recommend students get a UK SIM card for local and cheaper rates. These can be purchased at the airport, online or at several high street (main street) retailers.

What laws in the UK are different that I should be aware of?

The legal drinking age is 18, driving is on the left side of the road, and there are strict anti-weapon laws (bear spray is illegal) in addition to strict smoking and drug laws. It's also important to familiarise yourself with the UK's laws on acceptable behaviour, hate speech, and drug use, as they may differ from Canada.

Cultural differences

What are the biggest cultural differences I might experience in London?

While Canada and UK share a common language and many cultural elements, you'll likely encounter distinct differences in London, such as the importance placed on politeness, queuing, and a less widespread tipping culture. The British approach to humour, language nuances, and day-to-day interactions may also differ from those in Canada.

What language differences should I be aware of between Canadian and British English?

Be prepared for different spellings, vocabulary, and idiomatic expressions. For example, 'apartment' is 'flat'and 'elevator' is 'lift'. Key spelling differences include the use of ‘s’ instead of ‘z’ in words like realise, specialise, and summarise. The date format within the UK is Day / Month / Year and it is also common for the UK to use the 24-hour clock format e.g., 18:00 instead of 6pm. Finally, the UK using a mix of metric and imperial measurements e.g., temperature is measured in Celsius whereas the road speed limit is in miles.

I’ve paid my deposit however, I have not been invited to apply for my CAS.

There are two tasks related to the deposit payment. Firstly, pay the deposit and upload proof of payment (eg, receipt, bank statement). Once these two tasks are complete, you will be notified to apply for your CAS.

I want to apply for Student Aid but London Met does not appear of the designation list.

Each province has its own rules for student aid. If London Met does not appear on the provience's designation list, or your course is not designated, please contact and we will try and assist you. 

I’ve been asked to provide a certificate/ transcript but have not completed the course.

Students who are still studying can provide their certificate and official transcript after they have completed the course (eg. Final high school transcript) as long as it is before the deadline.

I’ve uploaded a document to the applicant portal but haven’t heard back.

Our admissions team are working hard to process all new documents. We aim to respond within ten working days. If you have not heard a response or had a change in your status please get in touch with 

I’ve been asked to complete an International Supplementary form.

This helps us understand why you wish to study within the UK and at London Met. Please answer the three questions using personal examples and unique answers (eg. do not copy from your personal statement).

I live in Canada but have been asked to take an English test.

Students who have studied within Canada but are not Canadian nationals and those who do not meet our Canadian English language requirements must provide a Secured English Language Test (SELT) such as Academic IELTS or Pearson PTE Academic qualification. Please see our English language requirements.

I’ve been given a conditional offer, but I want to accept my place.

You are still about to accept your offer whilst it has conditions. You can do this within the applicant portal. Students who apply through UCAS should do this on their UCAS portal.

I haven’t been asked to sign up for classes or modules.

Modules (classes) are either core (required) or optional (select a certain number to complete). Most undergraduate courses have all core modules in the first year with more optional throughout the second and third year. For postgraduate, it also depends on the course and how many core or optional modules you will have.

Typically, your timetable is designed for you with information provided once you arrive in the UK for orientation, and therefore you do not need to sign up to classes before arriving. If this is different, your department will contact you with the relevant information to select your modules. You can see what modules are available for your course on the course page.

Please find below a list of key terms around UK higher education. We have also created a document with key terms  you can download and save. 


Key term



A unique word provided by a school (if they are registered as a UCAS centre) that acts as a key identifier, linking a student's undergraduate application with the school. This allows them to track the application and upload references and relevant information.


A UCAS process that allows students to find and apply for university courses that still have vacancies, typically after the main application period. Whilst the date that UK universities open for Clearing varies, many will have it available on A-Level results day (typically the second Thursday in August). While Clearing is open to all students, it particularly supports those who did not receive the grades they needed for their conditional offer or those who exceeded their conditions. It varies as to whether universities allow international students to apply via Clearing due to the short time between Clearing opening and term starting, meaning visas can be difficult to acquire.

Conditional Offer

An offer of a place at a university that is dependent on the applicant meeting specific conditions, often related to exam results or other qualifications.

Firm Choice

In the UCAS application process, the firm choice is the student's preferred and first choice university.

Insurance Choice

In the UCAS application process, the insurance choice and second choice serves as a backup in case the firm choice is not secured, for example, by not meeting the academic conditions.


A colloquial term combining "Oxford" and "Cambridge," referring to the University of Oxford and the University of Cambridge in the UK. You can only apply to one of these universities per year on your UCAS application.

Personal Statement

written document submitted with a university application (like a college application essay), in which the student details what course they want to study, why they want to study it and what makes them a good candidate for that course. 

Tariff Points

numerical system assigned to different qualifications and grades provides a standardised way for universities to assess and compare applicants' academic achievements.

Teacher Reference

A written recommendation provided by a teacher or advisor as part of the UCAS application. Recent changes to the teachers' reference have created three separate sections covering general information about a school, extenuating circumstances and supportive information about the applicant that is relevant to the course.


The Universities and Colleges Admissions Service, a central application service for students applying to higher education institutions in the UK.

UCAS Centre

A UCAS centre is an educational institution or organisation registered with UCAS, allowing students to make their application through that institution. It is free for a school to become a centre with more information provided on the UCAS website.

UCAS Extra

A UCAS service allowing students who have used all five choices and haven't received any offers to apply for additional courses one at a time.

UCAS Track

An online system that allows applicants to track the progress of their UCAS application, including offers, replies, and the status of chosen universities.

Unconditional Offer

An offer of a place at a university without any specified conditions, indicating that the applicant has already met the necessary requirements.

For additional information on UCAS key terms and abbreviations please see their website. 


Key term


2:1 (Upper Second)

Denotes a specific classification of an undergraduate degree, typically awarded for achieving a mark between 60% and 69%.

2:2 (Lower Second)

Represents another classification of an undergraduate degree, indicating a performance within the range of 50% to 59%.

Adv Dip Pro Dev

Advanced Diploma in Professional Development, a program designed to enhance professional skills and knowledge beyond the undergraduate level.


Advanced Level qualifications usually taken by students aged 16-18. They are subject-specific and widely used for university admissions in the UK.


Bachelor of Arts, an undergraduate academic degree typically awarded in the arts, humanities, or social sciences.


Bachelor of Engineering, an undergraduate academic degree awarded in the field of engineering.


Bachelor of Science, an undergraduate academic degree typically awarded in the natural sciences, mathematics, or related disciplines.


Bachelor of Social Science, an undergraduate academic degree in social sciences, encompassing disciplines like sociology and anthropology.


Business and Technology Education Council qualifications, offering a more vocational and practical approach than A-Levels usually taken by students aged 16-18.


Doctor of Business Administration, a doctoral-level academic degree emphasising practical application of business knowledge and research.


Refers to the highest classification of an undergraduate degree, indicating outstanding academic achievement and typically a mark of 70% or above.


General Certificate of Secondary Education, taken by students aged 14-16. GCSEs cover a range of subjects and are crucial for further education and employment.


Graduate Diploma in Law, a conversion course for individuals with a non-law degree seeking to qualify as solicitors or barristers.

Honours Degree (Hons)

Honours, denoting an undergraduate degree program focused on specialisation and typically awarded to students with higher academic achievements.


Bachelor of Law, an undergraduate academic degree in law.


Master of Laws, a postgraduate academic degree in law, often pursued for advanced specialisation in legal studies.


Master of Arts, a postgraduate academic degree that follows a bachelor's degree and often involves advanced study in the arts or humanities.


Master of Architecture is a postgraduate academic degree for individuals pursuing advanced studies and architectural qualifications.


Master of Business Administration, a postgraduate academic degree focusing on business and management principles.


Master of Fine Arts, a postgraduate academic degree focused on creative and visual arts, including areas such as painting, sculpture, and writing.


Master of Philosophy, a postgraduate academic degree that often involves a combination of coursework and research.


Master of Science, a postgraduate academic degree awarded in various scientific and technical fields.

PG Cert

Postgraduate Certificate, a short program providing specialised knowledge and skills, often completed in less time than a full master's degree.

PG Dip

Postgraduate Diploma, a more extensive program than a certificate, offering in-depth study and often serving as a pathway to a master's degree.


Doctor of Philosophy, the highest academic degree awarded in various fields, requires original research and a doctoral thesis submission.

Prof Doc

Professional Doctorate is a doctoral-level qualification focused on applying research to professional practice in various fields.


Qualified Teacher Status is a professional accreditation in the UK allowing individuals to teach in state-maintained schools.


The classification below 2:2, indicates a pass but with lower overall academic performance typically awarded for achieving a mark between 40% and 49%.


A vocational qualification introduced in the UK, focusing on technical skills and practical experience in a specific industry.

To see what type of qualification your London Metropolitan University degree holds, please see our course finder.

General higher education

Key term


Alumni association

An organisation connecting former students (alumni) with their former university, fostering networking, mentorship, and support opportunities.


Financial aid provided to students based on financial need. Bursaries can assist with tuition fees, living expenses, or other educational costs. Bursaries within the UK are typically for domestic students; however, international students may be able to access other financial aid through scholarships and grants.

Campus university

A way to refer to the style and location of a UK university that offers distinct environments for student life. A campus university has a more self-contained campus setting and may be based in a more suburban area or away from the inner city.

Career services

University-provided resources and support to help students explore career options, develop job-search skills, and transition into the workforce after graduation. Careers services can often help students look for part-time work during their studies and work placements.

City university

A way to refer to the style and location of a UK university that offers distinct environments for student life. A city university is located within an urban area, possibly with multiple locations.

Core modules

Core modules are mandatory components of a program. As a generalisation, within the UK, undergraduate courses start with more core modules, and as the student progresses through the years, more optional modules become available to them. London Metropolitan University includes a list of our course's core and optional modules on the individual course pages.

Course rep/representative

A student elected or appointed to represent the views and concerns of their peers to academic staff and university management.

Course syllabus

An outline of the topics, readings, and assessments covered in an academic course. The syllabus provides a roadmap for students throughout the academic year.


Assignments, projects, or tasks that students complete as part of their course assessment.


An extended piece of academic writing involving in-depth research on a specific topic. Within the UK, it is common for undergraduate students to complete a dissertation within their final year. It is typically required for postgraduate study,

Distance learning

A mode of study where students engage in courses remotely, often online, without attending physical classes on campus.


The process of officially registering for courses and becoming a student at a university for a specific academic term. Within the UK, students do not typically have to sign up for modules before their arrival. However, this varies between institutions.

Examination period

The specific time frame during which formal exams take place, usually at the end of a term or academic year. Within the UK, these typically take place in December or January and/or May or June for undergraduate students.

Foundation year

An additional preparatory year before the start of a degree program, designed to provide essential knowledge and skills to students who may need extra support.

Freshers' week/welcome week

The initial week of the academic year features orientation activities, social events, and introductions to university life.

Gap year

A break typically taken by students between finishing high school and starting university, often spent traveling, working, or engaging in volunteer activities.

Halls of residence

Another term for student dormitories. Halls of residence, commonly referred to as ‘halls’, offer various room options and communal facilities, fostering a sense of community among residents. These can be owned by the university or private companies. Within the UK, it is typical for students to have a private bedroom with options for personal bathrooms (ensuite). Halls can be catered (food provided like a meal plan) or self-catered (kitchen provided to complete your own cooking).

International orientation

A period, often just before the start of the academic term, where international students are invited to campus for sessions covering information relevant to them such as visa compliance, setting up bank accounts, UK laws and more. Not all institutions will provide this however London Metropolitan University does. 


A period of work experience related to a student's field of study, providing practical skills and insights into the industry.


A formal, instructor-led presentation or talk on a specific subject, usually delivered to a large group of students.

Library resources

Various materials and services are available to students in a university library, including books, journals, electronic databases and study spaces.


A self-contained unit of study within a course, often with its own set of learning objectives, assessment methods, and academic credit value. In other countries, this is referred to as a 'class'.

Module handbook

A document outlining details of a specific academic module, including objectives, assessment methods, reading lists, and other relevant information.

Open day

An event hosted by universities to showcase their campus, facilities, and academic programs, allowing prospective students to explore and gather information. You can see all upcoming London Metropolitan University open days and campus tours on our events page.

Optional modules

Another term for an elective. Optional modules allow students to choose which classes they would like to attend. These are often still within their subject area but allow students to select where they would like to specialise. The students are often told how many optional modules they can take per year. As a generalisation, within the UK, undergraduate courses start with more core modules, and as students progress through the years, more optional modules become available to them. London Metropolitan University includes a list of our course's core and optional modules on the individual course pages.

Personal tutor

An assigned academic staff member who provides guidance, support, and advice to students throughout their academic journey.


The act of presenting someone else's work, ideas, or intellectual property as one's own without proper acknowledgement considered academic misconduct. This extends to the personal statement within the application.


Education pursued after the completion of an undergraduate degree. Includes master's degrees, PhDs, and other advanced qualifications.

Reading week

A designated week during the term when students are encouraged to focus on independent study, catch up on reading, and prepare for upcoming assessments.


The opportunity for a student to retake an exam or assessment after an initial attempt, often due to a suboptimal performance. Often marks for resits are capped at a pass rate; however, this depends on the course and institution.

Sandwich/ placement year

A year within an undergraduate degree where students undertake work placements or study abroad to gain practical experience in their field, often between Year 2 and 3.


An award granted to students based on academic merit, talent, or other criteria. Scholarships may cover tuition fees, living expenses, or both. You can review London Metropolitan University’s scholarships on our funding pages.


A division of the academic year, usually consisting of two terms. Within the UK, universities typically use a three-term or two-semester system. London Metropolitan University uses the three-term system.


A collaborative and interactive session where students engage in discussions, debates, and group activities related to the course material often led by a lecturer or facilitator.

Student Loan

Financial assistance provided to students for tuition fees and living expenses, often offered by government or private institutions. Domestic students use funding such as Student Finance England whereas international students may be able to access this from their home countries such as US federal loans.

Student society/club

An organisation run by and for students, focusing on shared interests, hobbies, or activities. Societies provide opportunities for socialisation and personal development.

Student support services

Resources and services provided by universities to assist students with academic, personal, or emotional challenges. London Metropolitan University offers services such as counselling, disability and dyslexiacareers and more. We also have a dedicated international and adviceteam.

Students' Union

An organisation representing students within a university, providing services, support, and organising social and recreational activities.


A specific period of the academic year, typically divided into three terms (autumn, spring, and summer). Within the UK, universities typically use a three-term or two-semester system. London Metropolitan University uses the three-term system.


A record of a student's academic performance detailing courses taken, grades received, and other relevant information.


A small-group session, often led by a tutor, focusing on discussion, clarification of course material, and addressing students' questions.


Refers to the level of education that comes before a student earns their first degree. Undergraduate programs typically include bachelor's degrees.

For additional London Metropolitan University specific terms please see our glossary

This guide is designed to help you navigate through the various differences in terminology between Canada and the United Kingdom. While we've provided close equivalents, each country's unique administrative and cultural context means that a direct comparison might not always align precisely. We encourage you to use this guide as a starting point and conduct further research if you need specific and detailed information. 

Academic terms

Canadian term

UK equivalent

Residance Halls of residence
Faculty (As in a Division) School or department
Grade Mark
Grade Point Average (GPA) Degree classification
Major Degree course
Minor Elective module – some courses may also offer 'joint honours' where you can combine subject areas
Public School State school


Canadian term

UK equivalent

Apartment Flat
Cell phone Mobile
Elevator Lift
Fall Autumn
First floor Ground floor
Lawyer Solicitor/barrister – Legal professionals; 'solicitors' generally handle legal advice and 'barristers' represent clients in court.
Public holiday Bank holiday
Realtor Estate agent
Resume CV (curriculum vitae)
Round trip ticket Return ticket
Semester Term
Soccer Football
Social Insurance Number (SIN) National Insurance Number (NIN)
Subway Underground/tube


We have a local representative based in British Columbia, Canada, who travels to school and college fairs, large fairs (eg. NACAC) and conferences. We are happy to visit high schools and partner institutions virtually and in-person. Please get in touch by emailing In the meantime, you can check out our entry requirements and advice for students from the USA and Canada.

DateLocationFurther information
Ongoing Online Book a virtual 121
Ongoing London, UK Book an international campus tour
25 April 2024 Vancouver, British Columbia SIUK Vancouver
26 April 2024 Vancouver, British Columbia 121 in person meeting
27 April 2024 Vancvouer, British Columbia AIRR-NA Counsellor breakfast
27 April 2024 Vancouver, British Columbia NACAC Vancouver
28 - 31 May 2024 New Orleans, Louisiana NASFA Conference
09 - 12 July 2024 London, Ontario International ACAC Conference

What’s next?

If you've completed all of the steps above or you're still in the process of completing them and you have questions, please don't hesitate to contact us by emailing our international team. In the meantime, we'll be sending you regular updates by email to remind you about deadlines and any documents that you need to send to us. 

We look forward to welcoming you to London Metropolitan University.

"London Met gives you a platform to shine. The sky is the limit and it’s up to you how far you want to take that further."

Margaret Ampomah – International Relations student