What are my accommodation options?

There are a several accommodation options available to you. These include living in a hall of residence, living in private rented accommodation or living in the home of a British family (a homestay). However, the two most popular options are halls of residence and private rented accommodation.

What are halls of residence?

Halls of residence are purpose-built student accommodation buildings. You will be living in a student environment, sharing common areas and facilities. Although the University does not own or manage any halls, there are a number of private providers who offer accommodation to London Metropolitan University students. These halls offer a wide range of facilities you need as a student such as Wi-Fi, study and social spaces. Rents are inclusive of utility bills, Wi-Fi and contents insurance.

Please see our full list of halls.

How much do halls of residence cost?

Prices vary depending on the location and type of room you require so please be sure to check with the accommodation provider directly.

Are rooms in halls furnished?

Yes, rooms in halls of residence usually have a bed, a desk, a wardrobe and, in some cases, a bedside cabinet. You will also be able to use a kitchen space.

Can I keep a pet in halls?

Unfortunately, most halls of residence do not allow pets. If you have a service animal, please contact the hall of residence you have chosen for more information.

What is private rented accommodation?

Private rented accommodation includes houses, flats (or individual rooms within them) that are rented directly from the owner. You would enter into a contract with the owner to occupy the accommodation for a specified period of time (normally six months to one year). Private rented accommodation is generally cheaper than halls of residence, but remember that you may have to pay for utility bills separately from your rent. Our accommodation team advertises private rented accommodation on London Met StudentPad.

Which accommodation/hall is closest to the University?

The University has two main teaching sites: the Holloway campus and the Aldgate campus. You’ll need to find out at which site your course will be taught at. The halls we have listed on our website are located at varying distances from the University buildings. The closest halls to the Holloway campus are Stapleton House, Chapter Highbury, The Arcade, Chapter Islington and Smart Student Accommodation (all walking distance). Halls that are walking distance from the Aldgate campus include Chapter Spitalfields, The Curve, iQ Magenta House and Pacific Court. Other halls listed are further afield and will require commuting via London transport, however, we do not list any halls that are more than 50 minutes commute. Please see Holloway campus halls and Aldgate campus halls.

What is the cheapest accommodation?

Private rented accommodation can be cheaper than halls, but you need to take into consideration additional utilities bills, travel time and costs. Also, some halls have shared rooms, which work out a lot cheaper than single rooms. The cheapest halls of residence are Claredale House, Sir John Cass Hall and Wood Green Hall.

Am I guaranteed a place in halls of residence for my first year of study?

Although there are over 30 halls of residences advertised to London Metropolitan University students, we are not able to guarantee you a place in one of them as they are all managed by private companies. The halls of residence are able to accommodate most students, but if you find that the hall of your choice is fully booked, you can request to be put on the waiting list. Make sure to contact them from time to time to enquire if rooms have become available. Please note, the cheapest halls are most popular and get booked up first. Please see our full list of halls for specific details.

Do I need to have a UK guarantor to live in halls?

This is not required for all halls, although some do ask for a UK-based guarantor from international students. If you are an international student and don’t have a UK based guarantor, there are companies who can provide this service for a fee. Please contact the Student Money and Advice team for information about this service by emailing smaa@londonmet.ac.uk.

You can check the hall websites to ascertain whether they require guarantors or email the halls directly to find out more.

Do I have to pay the hall fees before I receive my student loan?

All halls require some form of deposit or pre-payment in order to secure a room (from £200 to £500). After this is paid, you will have a "cooling off" period during which you can receive your deposit back if you change your mind or can no longer stay at that hall. The cooling off period will only last so long, and therefore it is best to confirm the time periods/terms and conditions with the hall you are applying to. Some hall providers may ask for rent in advance, especially if you cannot provide a rent guarantor, however most will invoice you for payments on a term-by-term basis.

If you are unsure about the payment procedure for a particular hall provider, we suggest you contact the relevant hall directly to enquire.

Which hall is the most popular with London Metropolitan University students?

There are no halls specifically for London Metropolitan University students. However in recent years, the halls most popular with London Met students close to our Aldgate campus include John Cass Hall, Claredale House, The Curve, iQ Magenta House and Pacific Court.

Popular halls near our Holloway campus include Stapleton House (directly opposite the campus), Station Court, North Lodge, Emily Bowes Court, The Arcade and Chapter Highbury.

Which halls offer single semester contracts?

Park House, Goldsmiths House, Helen Graham House, Stapleton House, Station Court and Chester House are among the halls offering shorter/single semester contracts. Please see our Single Semester and February entry webpage for details of these halls and others.

Am I allowed overnight visitors in the halls?

Policies vary, but most halls allow visitors for a maximum of two nights in a row, and guests usually have to sign in. Hall staff are accommodating with overnight visitors as long as they have a record and know who is coming in and out of the building. Some halls have camp beds in storage that can be booked out if you have guests staying over. If this is an important issue for you, then we suggest you contact the hall to discuss your individual needs.

I don’t have my visa yet, should I apply for accommodation now?

It is best to apply for accommodation as soon as possible after you have accepted your course offer. Please remember to check the individual halls deposit refund policy before paying, so you know the risk you are taking if you are not granted a student visa.

For further information regarding visas, please see our visa information webpage.