- Professor C Palmer: Cancer Research UK – CRUK, antibody alliance. (£80-100k)
Submit December 2020
- Professor G McLean: Imperial College, National Heart and Lung Institute – NHLI, Biomedical Research Centre – BRC respiratory shadow panel. (£48k)
Submitted March 2020
- Professor G McLean: Innovate UK with Aptamer Group. (£~160k)
Submit April 2020 (likely to be delayed due to Covid-19)
- Professor G McLean: Rosetrees Trust seedcorn grant – pilot for larger future applications. (£15k)
Submit August 2020
- Dr E Meimaridou: Marie Skłodowska-Curie Actions (MSCA) – Innovative Training Networks (ITN) European Training Network proposal on Extracellular Vesicles in healing (EViL). (£300k)
Submitted January 2020
- Dr S Jorfi: The Royal Society. (£20k)
Submit November 2020
- Dr S Jorfi: Leverhulme Trust. (£55k)
Submit February 2021
Research projects and funding, 2020–21
Cellular Molecular and Immunology Research Centre – School of Human Sciences
- Transformation Fund, London Metropolitan University: £31,500 project aims to develop the first reliable clinical technology for non-invasive screening of PCa that can facilitate informed decision making in terms of treatment and diagnostics for cancer. Consortium partners: University of Hertfordshire Microfluidics and Microengineering Research Group, Centre for Research in Biodetection Technologies/Lister Hospital; Open Pelvic Uro-Oncology East and North Herts NHS Trust.
Principal Investigator: Professor Jameel Inal
- Rescaling Fund, London Metropolitan University: £3,250 for a project focussed on the virulence factor of SARS-CoV-2, modelling activities of two small components of the virus.
Investigators: Professor Ken White, Dr Eirini Meimaridou, Dr Samireh Jorfi
- Rescaling Fund, London Metropolitan University: £4,579 for consumables to undertake novel research on why people of older age and / or with underlying disease, such as type 2 diabetes (T2D), are at higher risk of severe illness and mortality through COVID-19.
Investigators: Dr Samireh Jorfi, Dr Eirini Meimaridou, Dr Cassandra Terry
- Rescaling Fund, London Metropolitan University: £4,390 for a bid combining two areas of expertise, by an EV specialist (J Inal) and a molecular biologist (C Palmer), which will link up with the general drug design and testing theme of the SHS COVID-19 group.
Investigators: Professor Jameel Inal, Professor Chris Palmer
- Rescaling Fund, London Metropolitan University: £5,000 to support a multi-disciplinary team researching Vitamin D insufficiency and COVID-19, bringing together different strands of expertise within the School of Human Sciences to promote translational research.
Principal Investigators: Dr Dee Bhakta, Dr Laurence Harbige, Professor Ken White, Shawn McLaren, Dr Una Fairbrother, Professor Gary McLean, Professor Jameel Inal, Afshan Aghili
- Rescaling Fund, London Metropolitan University: £3,800 in funds to purchase and obtain coronavirus and related pseudovirus high-titre stocks and cell lines required to grow them in our laboratory for ongoing research.
Principal Investigator: Professor Gary McLean
- Rescaling Fund, London Metropolitan University: £5,000 to fund the purchase of reagents and consumable needed for an in vitro study investigating if and how probiotic bacteria could help improve the immune response by the human body in combating Coronavirus.
Investigators: Dr Hamid Ghoddusi, Professor Gary McLean, Professor Jameel Inal