The Graduate School prides itself on being central to the lives of our postgraduate students and the academic staff who supervise them.
A home to all of our postgraduate research students, regardless of the subjects they are studying, the Graduate School has a distinguished academic head, Professor Klaus Fischer. Klaus brings together postgraduate research students, academic staff and others across the University to create a lively, stimulating and supportive environment.
Working closely with all six Schools and the Research and Postgraduate Office, the Graduate School strives to make academic life as a postgraduate research student as smooth as possible and is central to their student experience.
The Graduate School's role is to:
- provide guidance to those who are thinking of applying to London Met for a doctoral degree
- oversee the application process once enquirers have become candidates
- liaise with applicants, potential supervisors and academic schools
- organise and arrange the delivery of postgraduate induction sessions in October and January each year
- organise and timetable the year-long Postgraduate Training Programme
- support students through the key stages of progression from enrolment to graduation
- encourage doctoral students to be fully engaged in our intellectual life, not least through the annual Staff and Postgraduate Conference, a showcase for all of our work
- publicise opportunities such as funding calls, conferences and postdoctoral positions
- enable you to provide feedback on your student experience and have your say through focus groups and staff/student forums
Visit our other pages:
- Postgraduate Research Student Training Programme
- Student and Staff Research Conference
- Research and Postgraduate Office
- Centres of research
- Research initiatives
- Information for London Met students
- London Met Research on YouTube
For more info, research students please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Hear from some of our research students and graduates
Digital Media PhD, Digital Media MA
"I am part of the Postgraduate Research Society and the support that research students give each other is outstanding."
Counselling Psychology Prof Doc
"I delivered my presentation from the forest in Warmian-Masurian Voivodeship in Poland – it was all possible due to the technology and the new reality we all faced due to Covid-19."
Dr Ava Kanyeredzi
Social Policy PhD
"I thoroughly enjoyed my PhD experience. It was the course I learned most from and was most challenged. It gave me the space, time and opportunity to read and reflect on violence/abuse research, feminist/Black feminist theories and their relevance to Black British victim-survivors of violence/abuse."
Dr Greg Lessons
Human Nutrition (Public Health/Sports) MSc Human Nutrition (Public Health) PhD
"The work I did whilst studying at London Met is the foundation of everything I currently do within my professional role... I am proud to be one of the leading experts on firefighter nutrition."
Health Psychology MSc, Professional Doctorate in Health Psychology
"Learning at London Metropolitan University is unique because you have such a wide variety of people doing the courses; they come from different cultural backgrounds, different nationalities and there are many people with different experiences."
Women's Studies PhD
"I'm a member of London Met's Postgraduate Research Society and it has been great. It's been really nice to have a group of like-minded individuals to speak to who are going through the same process of getting a PhD."
Wally Shannon Mbassi Elong
Media and Communications PhD, Media and Communications MA
"My PhD research is about a social media account called Man United in Pidgin (MUIP). It provides readers with Manchester United Football Club’s (MUFC) news and commentaries in Pidgin English."
Health Policy PhD, Public Health MSc
"I enjoyed my course so much that I applied for a scholarship to do my PhD here."
Pharmaceutical Science BSc and MSc, PhD candidate
"I loved the foundation course and the University so much that I decided to stay on… and now I am doing PhD research into electro spinning with two of my inspiring supervisors."
Obesity and Weight Management MSc, Nutrition and Cardiorespiratory Function PhD
"My research findings may have important implications for the risk stratification and the management of patients affected by COVID-19 and other respiratory disorders."
Nicola Sharp-Jeffs OBE
Woman and Child Abuse MA
"I look back and feel hugely grateful to have had the opportunity to do the course and be taught by leaders in the field."
Sony Chandi Shrestha
Pharmaceutical Science PhD
"The best part of my research has been in overcoming the challenge in formulation and optimisation of a novel drug delivery system for the management of cardiovascular diseases."
Architecture and Spatial Design PhD
"I hope that my research findings from the PhD will contribute to a knowledge of architectural participatory placemaking in Yakutsk, and more broadly, to arctic and subarctic regions."
Said Aris Tarabi
Psychology PhD in Counselling
"One thing that I value most about London Met is that the lecturers have always tried to do what was best for me, and I cannot thank them enough for the professionalism that they have exhibited."