The Higher Education Research Group (HERG) is a University-wide alliance to foster, support and disseminate research into higher education.
The group is open to all interested staff engaged in or planning to undertake higher education research studies or projects.
HERG is coordinated by Professor Jan Bamford and Professor Digby Warren (Co-Directors) and Associate Professor Sheelagh Heugh (Deputy-Director), advised by Theme Leads, in consultation with HERG members.
Members are encouraged to apply for research funding from Schools and/or to put in bids for external research grants.
The aims of the Higher Education Research Group (HERG) are to:
- Support staff across the University in undertaking and designing research in HE - including advice, peer mentoring, peer review, seminars, events and collaboration among allied internal or external networks.
- Foster connections across CPED, Schools/disciplines and professional services staff engaged in higher education research – through sharing of ideas, knowledge and expertise.
- Foster external/international networks for the development of research into higher education.
- Build strong liaisons with related research groups (eg Learning Technology Research Group) around a common focus on higher education research.
- Encourage and promote higher education research aligned to the University’s mission, values and strategic goals.
- Provide a forum for presenting and disseminating research plans/methodology and findings/outputs.
- Provide a focal point for developing higher education research bids and international research networks.
- Embed a culture of innovation and collegiality with regard to issues concerning pedagogy across the University.
Upcoming HERG Seminars:
For details of upcoming HERG events, please email us.