Wendy is a senior lecturer and teaches on our psychology courses at London Met.
Dr Wendy Ross
Wendy’s main topic of research is the role of material serendipity in higher cognitive processes such as insight problem solving and creativity. She draws on a range of methods from eye-tracking and experimental psychology to focused cognitive ethnography. She is currently co-editing two collections on serendipity: The Art of Serendipity (Palgrave) and Serendipity Science (Springer). She is Co-Chair of the Serendipity Society and Vice President of the Possibility Studies Network. In 2021 she was awarded the Frank X Barron prize by Division 10 of the APA.
Keynote Addresses and Invited Talks
- 2021 Breaking the line: Serendipity and linear, boundaried models of creativity, Creativity Week – Transformed. Material agency and the possible (online presentation), The First International Conference of Possibility Studies Serendipity and materiality in design (online presentation), University of the Arts, London
- 2020 Panel Discussion: Through the Looking Glass (online presentation), Webster University Geneva. Material traces: Novel methods to study systemic thinking (online presentation), Webster University, Geneva New directions in creativity research (online presentation) University of Arizona. Accident and sagacity (online presentation). Schoenberg Society Seminar at Pärnu Days of Contemporary Music
- 2019 The consequences of serendipity for real world creativity and innovation. Webster University, Geneva. Serendipity and problem solving. University of Buckingham
External Webinars and Workshops
- 2021 Serendipity lost? Strategies for promoting serendipity during remote working. Chadwicks Financial Services
- 2020 Seeking serendipity: Strategies to promote serendipity in the workplace. Norfolk Chamber of Commerce (webinar). Developing creativity in the classroom, Developing Minds Research Group, Kingston University
- 07/04/2021: What does serendipity have to do with innovation? Brain for Business Podcast
- 14/11/2019: Interview on Connecting with Coincidence with Bernie Beitman, X-Zone Broadcast Network