Piero Toto has a PhD in Translation Studies from the University of Bari (Italy). He is a translation technology trainer, localisation lecturer, as well as an experienced English into Italian translator with a background in linguistics and gender issues/queer studies. This eclectic mix of interests is at the heart of his academic research and activity, which include translations into Italian, published poetry in both English and Italian, articles on masculinity, queer studies and translator training.
Piero has also worked as an associate lecturer for Italian at the Open University and has run translation/localisation workshops abroad and at other UK universities. He is a member of the Chartered Institute of Linguists, where he acts ad hoc as freelance Italian examiner and assessor on a variety of qualifications and exams.
- Poetry/Poetry translation
- Translation technology (terminology management, machine translation and post-editing, translation memories, translation quality)
- Translation pedagogy
- Queer language
- Queer theory/translation
- Toto, P. (2021) tempo 4/4. Massa: Transeuropa Edizioni.
- De Marco, M. & Toto, P. (eds.) (2019). Gender Approaches in the Translation Classroom: Training the Doers. London: Palgrave Macmillan
- Toto, P. (2022) ‘poetiche del corpo’, in Atelierpoesia.it, July 2022.
Toto, P. (2021) ‘Incipit’, in La Repubblica, 7 December 2021.
Toto, P. (2021) ‘Nocturne in the Park’, in Mein schwules Auge 18.
- Toto, P. (2021) ‘Let No Man Put Asunder’, in Untitled: Voices, Volume 1, Issue 3.
- Toto, P. (2021) ‘House Trilogy & The Life of Others’, in Queerlings, Issue 2.
- Toto, P. (2020) ‘I’m in Love with a Rubberman’, in Seek Poetry, Issue 1.
- Toto, P. (2020) ‘Not Everyone I Love Dies’, in harana poetry, Issue 5
Chapters in books
- Toto, P. (2021) ‘Flipped Classrooms and Translation Technology Teaching: A Case Study’, in C. Wang, B. Zheng (eds.), Empirical Studies of Translation and Interpreting: The Post-structuralist Approach. London: Routledge, pp. 240-258.
- Banos, R., & Toto, P. (2015). ‘Challenges and constraints in designing a localization module for a multilingual cohort’, in P. Sánchez-Gijón, B. Mesa-Lao, O. Torres-Hostench (eds.), Conducting Research in Translation Technologies (pp. 185-205). Frankfurt: Peter Lang.
- Toto, P. A. (2009). ‘Less about Sex, More about Shopping’, in S. Petrilli and D. Buchbinder (eds.), Masculinities. Identità maschili e appartenenze culturali, Milan: Mimesis, p. 153-158.
- Toto, P. A. (2002). ‘Forze oscure del tempo e dell’ignoranza’, in Enos Rota (ed.), Caro Pier…, Milan: Selene, p. 60-62.
- 2012 - Hubscher-Davidson, Séverine and Borodo, Michal (eds.) (2012) Global Trends in Translator and Interpreter Training: Mediation and Culture. London, New York: Continuum.
- 2012 - Cronin, Michael. Translation in the Digital Age. London, New York: Routledge.
- 2015 – Bernal-Merino, Miguel. Translation and Localisation in Video Games: Making Entertainment Software Global. New York/London: Routledge.
- 2014 - Walker, Andy. SDL Trados Studio – A Practical Guide. New York-London: Packt Publishing.
- 2013 - Jiménez-Crespo, Miguel Angel. Translation and Web Localization. London, New York: Routledge.
Translations into Italian
- (2022) ‘Knotweed’ sonnets (a selection) from Andrew McMillan’s pandemonium (Jonathan Cape, 2021), in Atelierpoesia.it, 20 April 2022.
- (2009) ‘Tutti amano l’egemonia: la mascolinità nelle sitcom in prima serata’ [original title: ‘Everybody Loves Hegemony: Masculinity in Prime-Time Sitcoms’], written by Janelle Veitch, in Susan Petrilli and David Buchbinder (ed.), Masculinities. Identità maschili e appartenenze culturali, Milan: Mimesis, p. 95-99.
- (2009) ‘Eccitazione, climax sessuale, inibizione sessuale: feticismo erotico, vita stretta e tacchi a spillo’ [original title: 'Sexual Tension, Sexual Climax and Sexual Confinement: Erotic Fetishism, Small Waists and Spiked Heels', written by Sarah-Louise Cook, in Susan Petrilli and David Buchbinder (ed.), Masculinities. Identità maschili e appartenenze culturali, Milan: Mimesis, p. 47-52.
June 2021: speaker at Queen Mary University’s 11th biennial conference of the International Gender and Language Association (IGALA11). Title of presentation: ‘Queering Sexual Health Translation: Some Pedagogical Considerations’.
- March 2020: member of the organising committee, ‘Enhancing Employability in Translator Training’, London Metropolitan University.
- October 2017: speaker at University College London’s Centre for Translation Studies (CenTraS). Title of seminar: ‘What Are Words Worth? Reflections on Queer Language, Censorship and Translation’.
- November 2016: speaker at 16th Annual Portsmouth Translation Conference - Translation and Interpreting: Learning Beyond the Comfort Zone, University of Portsmouth.
- July 2014: member of the organising committee, Translation in the Digital Age symposium, London Metropolitan University.
- June 2011: speaker at Tradumática, First International T3L Conference: Tradumática, Translation Technologies and Localization, Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona, Spain.
- 2019: Staff Award 2019 ‘Best overall satisfaction performance in the NSS’ (£1000), London Metropolitan University
- 2019: Winner of the London Metropolitan University Students’ Union Award (Outstanding Academic Member of Staff for the Guildhall School of Business and Law)
- 2018: Nominated for the London Metropolitan University Students’ Union Award (Outstanding Academic Member of Staff)
- 2016: Staff Excellence Award 2016 (£2000), London Metropolitan University
- 2014: Higher-Education-Academy-funded (£5000) symposium organised at London Metropolitan University 2012: Nominated for the London Metropolitan University Student-Led Teaching Award (SLTA)
- 2012: British-Council-funded (£5,000) study on Translation and Language Learning. Participants: London Metropolitan University, SDL and the Russian State University for the Humanities. Aim: to explore opportunities for providing a professional development course for Russian/English translators with a special focus on the implementation of translation software and relevant electronic tools for translators.
Senior lecturer in Languages (Translation)