• Fellow of the Higher Education Academy (FHEA)
• TAUS Machine Translation Post-editing Certificate (English-Italian)
• Member of the Chartered Institute of Linguists (MCIL)
• PhD in Translation Studies (University of Bari, Italy)
• PG Certificate in Learning and Teaching in Higher Education (London Metropolitan University, UK)
• BA in Foreign Languages and Literatures (University of Bari, Italy)
• SDL Trados Certification
Piero Toto is a Senior Lecturer in Languages (Translation) translation technology trainer and localisation lecturer, as well as an experienced English into Italian translator with a background in linguistics, gender issues/queer studies. This eclectic mix of interests is at the heart of his academic research and activity, which includes translations into Italian and articles on masculinity, queer studies and translator training. Piero has also taught abroad as visiting lecturer, focusing mainly on patent and technical translation, localisation and linguistic quality assurance. He is regularly invited by UK Higher Education institutions to give masterclasses and talks on localisation and translation technology. He is actively engaged in the UK with industry partners and translation stakeholders in the development of best practices. He collaborates on an ad-hoc basis with the Chartered Institute of Linguists as language consultant and assessor for a number of their official examinations. Piero is currently a member of the editorial board of CELT/London Metropolitan University’s peer-reviewed journal Investigations in University Teaching and Learning (edited by Kathy Harrington and Digby Warren).
- Electronic Tools for Translation
- Practical Resources for Translators
- Translation Process and Procedures (Italian)
- Specialist Translation Domains (IT and Localisation)
- Managing Translation
- Characteristics of Specialised Texts (Advertising, Scientific and Technical Translation)
- Translation Tools and the Translator
- Website and Software Localisation
- Independent Translation Project
- Supervision of MA dissertations
- Diploma in Translation (Italian)
- Summer School
- Translation Memory Tools (SDL Trados)
- De Marco, M. & Toto, P. (eds.) (2018). Gender Approaches in the Translation Classroom: Training the Doers. London: Palgrave Macmillan.
Chapters in Books
- Banos, R., & Toto, P. (2015). ‘Challenges and constraints in designing a localization module for a multilingual cohort’, in P. Sánchez-Gijón, B. Mesa-Lao, O. Torres-Hostench (eds.), Conducting Research in Translation Technologies (pp. 185-205). Frankfurt: Peter Lang.
- Toto, P. A. (2009). ‘Less about Sex, More about Shopping’, in S. Petrilli and D. Buchbinder (eds.), Masculinities. Identità maschili e appartenenze culturali, Milan: Mimesis, p. 153-158.
- Toto, P. A. (2002). ‘Forze oscure del tempo e dell’ignoranza’, in Enos Rota (ed.), Caro Pier…, Milan: Selene, p. 60-62.
- Toto, P. (forthcoming) ‘Flipped Classrooms & Translation Environment Tools: A Love Story’ [submitted for publication]
- 2012 - Hubscher-Davidson, Séverine and Borodo, Michal (eds.) (2012) Global Trends in Translator and Interpreter Training: Mediation and Culture. London, New York: Continuum.
- 2012 - Cronin, Michael. Translation in the Digital Age. London, New York: Routledge.
- 2015 – Bernal-Merino, Miguel. Translation and Localisation in Video Games: Making Entertainment Software Global. New York/London: Routledge.
- 2014 - Walker, Andy. SDL Trados Studio – A Practical Guide. New York-London: Packt Publishing.
- 2013 - Jiménez-Crespo, Miguel Angel. Translation and Web Localization. London, New York: Routledge.
Translations into Italian
- (2009) ‘Tutti amano l’egemonia: la mascolinità nelle sitcom in prima serata’ [original title: ‘Everybody Loves Hegemony: Masculinity in Prime-Time Sitcoms’], written by Janelle Veitch, in Susan Petrilli and David Buchbinder (ed.), Masculinities. Identità maschili e appartenenze culturali, Milan: Mimesis, p. 95-99.
- (2009) ‘Eccitazione, climax sessuale, inibizione sessuale: feticismo erotico, vita stretta e tacchi a spillo’ [original title: ‘Sexual Tension, Sexual Climax and Sexual Confinement: Erotic Fetishism, Small Waists and Spiked Heels’, written by Sarah-Louise Cook, in Susan Petrilli and David Buchbinder (ed.), Masculinities. Identità maschili e appartenenze culturali, Milan: Mimesis, p. 47-52.
- November 2016: speaker at 16th Annual Portsmouth Translation Conference - Translation and Interpreting: Learning Beyond the Comfort Zone, University of Portsmouth.
- July 2014: member of the organising committee, Translation in the Digital Age symposium, London Metropolitan University.
- June 2011: speaker at Tradumática, First International T3L Conference: Tradumática, Translation Technologies and Localization, Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona, Spain.
Dr Piero Toto
Senior lecturer in Languages (Translation)E: email@example.com
Follow Piero @tradutoto
Connect with Piero on Linkedin