In its first year of operation, the Cyber Security Research Centre finished an initial establishment phase as an educational and research unit of the School of Computing and Digital Media and also completed its first industrially significant projects. Three main projects with external funding shaped the work of the Centre during this period:
- logical analysis of the security vulnerability in cross-channel banking operations, funded by Lloyds Banking Group (Project Leader: Dr Vassil Vassilev)
- fraud analysis in digital banking, funded by Callsign (Project Leader: Prof Karim Ouazzane)
- Beacon-based authentication services for voice-controlled devices, funded by the UK Government's Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport (DCMS) (Project Leader: Dr Vassil Vassilev)
Two more consultancy projects are due to start in 2019:
- user testing of voice-controlled devices in digital banking, funded by Lloyds Banking Group (Project Leader: Dr Vassil Vassilev)
- threat intelligence modelling for predictive analytics, funded by Lloyds Banking Group (Project Leader: Dr Jun Li)
Several other projects with industrial partners of the Centre are in different stages of preparation and will be announced soon. Technical support for the work of the Centre was provided by big vendors of hardware and software equipment such as Cisco, Amazon, Oracle and Hortonworks.