Coronavirus (COVID-19) information

Date: 20 October 2020

Please see below a list of frequently asked questions that are updated on a regular basis.

Given the current situation we have decided to adopt a blended approach - a mix of high-quality remote learning and in-person sessions on campus. Students that are not on highly practical courses will be able to come onto campus to meet with academic staff and other students in our hour-long learning cafés every two weeks. This will give us a chance to keep in touch, and allow you to meet your classmates face-to-face.

Given the most recent government guidance, students and staff are encouraged to study and work from home. However, if working from home is difficult, students can book a computer or an independent workspace without a computer located within the libraries of either campus. The computers won’t work unless you have a booking number.

We know that many members of our community will be concerned at this time, and we are committed to providing our students and staff with the support they need. The University has been planning for a number of contingencies since news of the coronavirus first emerged and we are confident we can continue to provide a high-quality experience for our students.

Plans for autumn 2020

We've put together a robust set of plans to ensure our students get the same high-quality teaching while staying safe this autumn term. This includes starting term two weeks later, offering online and in-person options for all our courses, offering a January start for new students, and prioritising access for students who need to be on campus, for example, to access science labs or art studios. Read more about our plans for autumn 2020

For students arriving from abroad

Students who will be travelling to the UK to start their courses may be subject to a 14 day self-isolation period on arrival, depending on the country they are travelling from or through. 

The UK Government has a list of Travel Corridor countries on its website, which is kept up to date. If you are travelling from or have transit through any country that is not on the list, then you must stay in your accommodation for a period of 14 days when you arrive.

This means you will not be able to leave your accommodation to shop for unnecessary items or visit any tourist attractions. You should make arrangements for your arrival that allow for this by arranging online shopping, for example, if you can. If you absolutely cannot arrange for delivery, then you can leave your accommodation only for basic necessities such as food or medication.

If you arrive at the home of a relative from a country not on the UK, they do not need to self-isolate with you, unless they travelled with you. However, you should try to avoid contact with other members of the household as much as possible.

Find out more information about how to self-isolate in the UK on the government website.

For Tier 4 visa students, if you are expected to collect your BRP (Biometric Residence Permit) within 10 days of arrival but need to complete the 14-day self-isolation period, you will not be penalised for being unable to collect it from the post office while coronavirus measures are in place. You should make every effort to collect your BRP as soon as you are out of the self-isolation period. You will need to present a copy of the front and back of your BRP to the International Support Team as soon as you have it by emailing

Events and open days

As a practical move to safeguard visitors, students and staff, we have taken the difficult decision to suspend our events and open days. 

In the meantime, we are planning a special series of virtual events to replace our open days. Details of these new events will be sent out shortly, along with a link to sign up. Please also keep an eye on our events pages for more information. 

Supporting the wider community

Find out what we're doing to support the wider community during this difficult time.

Frequently asked questions

COVID-19 is a new illness, caused by a virus called coronavirus, that can affect your lungs and airways. To help protect your own health and to help minimise the spread of the virus, please follow the latest guidance on the website.

Should I apply if there are travel restrictions imposed?

Yes, the situation is changing daily and will continue to change in the next few months. Most of our courses are open and accepting applications for spring 2021 and autumn 2021. You can apply through UCAS or, alternatively, you can apply directly through our website.

What will happen with my application if the University campuses are closed?

We are committed to making decisions on your application in a timely manner. Our Admissions team is working remotely, ensuring that we support all our applicants and provide response within 10 working days.

What will happen if my exams are delayed/cancelled?

Please note that all academic entry requirements will remain the same as detailed in your offer letter. If you have missed examinations due to school closures please let us know by emailing and we will be able to provide individual guidance.

What shall I do if I can't get hold of the information/documents you have requested?

We understand that there may be delays in obtaining your school/university and you may need extra time to obtain documents such as references and transcripts. Please email our Admissions team ( to let them know and upload your documents on the student portal Evision as soon as you have them.

I am not able to take the English language test listed as a requirement for my course. What shall I do?

We are happy to confirm that we will now be accepting the following online English language qualifications in addition to the IELTS tests advertised:

Qualification                          Required grade
TOEFL IBT Special Home Edition        72 overall (minimum 18 in reading, 17 in listening, 20 in speaking, 17 in writing)
IELTS indicator 6.0 overall, 5.5 in each band

We are also offering an online pre-sessional English programme for students who do not meet these requirements. Information has been sent on how to enrol, but please email us at with any questions in the meantime.

Can I apply for a pre-sessional English course at London Met?

We are planning to run an online pre-sessional course for spring 2021. Please keep an eye on the pre-sessional pages on our website for the new dates and prices. If you have any questions or require further details please email us at:

Can I visit the campus?

The University buildings aren't currently open for visits, so instead you can join us for one of our virtual open days. You can also check out our social media accounts, speak to a student or email us at for more information.

I am an international student who needs a visa. What shall I do if the visa centres are closed?

We are aware that visa centres have been closed for several weeks in some countries. Centres are now opening up around the world but you may still experience delays or find that the visa centre in your country is not yet open. If you are at the stage of applying for your visa and your visa centre is still closed, please email the International Advice Service at: to discuss this with them further.

Advice for Tier 4 students

Tier 4 visa and immigration guidance is available from our International Advice Service

Can I defer my place to 2021?

Yes, you can. If you are no longer able to join us in the autumn, you can defer your place by emailing our Admissions team at:  Your course may be available to start in spring 2021 or autumn 2021 – you can check availability on our website.

What if there are travel restrictions which prevent me from coming to the University in September?

We  are running our courses online for the first semester to allow students an opportunity to start their studies even if they can’t travel to London just yet. If you choose to do your first semester online you can make a start from home, then join us in London for the second semester if travel advice allows.

We will continue to provide regular updates on this page, please keep an eye out for news.  If you have any specific questions please email the International Office at: If you require immigration advice, please contact international advice

Will there be any changes to my start date and the duration of my course?

Teaching began on 12 October 2020, which was a delay of two weeks, in order to offer students maximum flexibility. To see important dates and deadlines for spring 2021 intake, please check our website.

What shall I do if I become ill when I am supposed to be travelling to the University in September?

If you contract Covid-19 when you are due to come to campus, please remain at home and follow the advice of your local health services. Please contact to inform us of the situation.

Will I be able to secure housing?

We work with a number of independent student accommodation providers. Please check their individual websites for updates regarding Covid-19 and availability of their rooms. If you need further advice, please email our Accommodation team: 

I want to start a course at the University – when should I apply?

We're no longer accepting applications for courses starting in autumn 2020, but we do offer you the chance to start many of our courses in January. If you're still yet to apply to us, please continue to apply as normal and be reassured that we’re working hard to make sure that everyone who wants to study with us is able to do so. We're doing everything in our power to make this process as seamless for you as possible. 

Will the admissions and enquiries office still be reachable?

Our enquiries and admissions teams are still contactable online. Feel free to send a message with your enquiry and someone will get back to you.

Do you have a virtual tour so that I can see your facilities online?

Yes – you can take a tour of both of our campuses online.

What virtual events can I attend?

We have virtual events scheduled for anyone interested in studying an undergraduate or postgraduate course with us who wants to speak to lecturers, students or support staff. Undergraduate open days and Postgraduate open days are currently being scheduled for the end of September. You can also chat to a London Met student about student life, their courses, studying in London and more.

I need to attend a portfolio interview as part of my application – how will portfolio interviews work now that the University’s buildings are closed?

All portfolios for our art, architecture and design courses can now be submitted digitally. You may also be asked to join a remote interview.

What if I don’t have a digital portfolio?

If you don't have a digital portfolio, don't worry, it’s ok to photograph your hard copy and upload that instead.

How will the coronavirus outbreak affect my application for student funding?

You can and should still apply for your student funding as normal, but please bear in mind it may take a little longer than usual for Student Finance Services to process the application. For Student Loans Company guidance and answers to common questions related to the COVID-19 outbreak, please see the government's guidance for prospective students.

What’s the current status of London Met’s buildings?

Some of London Met's buildings are open for students timetabled to be in labs and studios; in addition, both the Learning Centre and Aldgate Library are open from 9am to 6pm, with library staff available from 12 noon to 2.30pm weekdays. The Gym remains closed.

When will all the buildings be open?

It's difficult to say how long these measures will be in place as the spread of coronavirus is unpredictable – we will do everything we can to keep you informed of what's going on and to support your studies. 

Access to the Campus during the closure period

If you find that you need access to the University during the closed period for an urgent and essential reason please contact with your name, date, time and reason for the request, plus the names of any staff or students requiring access. 

Please note, you should only request access if it is absolutely essential.

If access is granted you must call the control room (020 7133 2079) on arrival and give your expected departure time and areas of access. Our security may escort you if appropriate. Do not request access if you are feeling unwell or have had contact with someone who is unwell, and please observe proper handwashing advice.

Keep in touch

We will reach out to all of our students on Tier 4 visas during the academic year to provide information and support as well as request some information. Please continue to engage with our contact so we can ensure you have the best advice, guidance and support at this time.


Tier 4 students are expected to attend their lessons regularly. Even with online teaching, students are still expected to engage with their courses and "attend" virtual lessons/seminars and submit coursework. Students will be monitored for engagement with online teaching regularly so please make sure you log in and take part in your classes, submit coursework and complete your assessments on time. 

If you are taking part in a work placement that has been cancelled or changed, please ensure you inform your placement officer and email Visa Compliance:

International student support

While the University is closed, the international support team will continue to offer you support, guidance and advice remotely. As usual, we will respond to your emails and if you need to speak to an adviser, we will be able to offer you online or telephone appointments. 


You may be feeling vulnerable at this time and you may wish to return home or continue to study from home. We completely understand this and will offer you advice as to how remote teaching or a break in studies work with your visa.

If you are able to study remotely, this is absolutely fine and we will monitor your engagement as normal. Continue to follow your course and module leaders' instructions as normal. We will contact you if we are informed that you are not engaging in online study as this will have an impact on your visa.

If you cannot study from home and need to take a break, the below applies:

  • Before you leave the UK, please ensure you email the International Student Advice Service ( to let us know that this is something you want to do. We will request further information from you and seek approval from your course leader before authorising your absence. If you have already left the UK, please contact the International Student Advice Service immediately by emailing International Student Advice ( and respond to any information requests as quickly as possible.

If you are staying in the UK and want to go on holiday or take a short break when you do not have online classes, you must check the most up-to-date travel advice available on the Gov.UK website. Please ensure you keep up to date with travel information and government advice to ensure you keep yourself and others safe. 

The situation around COVID-19, government advice and travel information is changing regularly. If the above information changes, we will update you accordingly.

Will the University cover the extra cost incurred for international students who have to extend their visas as they can neither work nor fly home?

If your visa is due to expire soon, you will have received an email from our International Support and Compliance team reminding you of this. Please get in touch with the team and they will provide you with advice according to your specific circumstances. UKVI concessions for visa expiry have now ended so if your visa is due to expire and you are unable to return home due to restrictions, please contact the team to ask for advice.

While in the UK on a valid Tier 4 visa, your work permissions haven't changed. You will still be able to work 20 hours per week during term time and full time during holidays, such as the upcoming Easter break. Other visa holders may have different permissions. 

We appreciate that it may be difficult to find work at the moment and we would encourage you to reach out to our International Student Adviser if you need further advice. 

Health care

As a student with a valid Tier 4 visa you will have paid the Immigration Health Surcharge when you applied for your visa. This gives you access to NHS services during your stay in the UK.  This doesn't change during the Coronavirus pandemic, and if you need to access healthcare, you should contact your GP surgery by phone or visit their website to see how they can help you. If you haven't registered with a GP yet, please visit our webpages for more information or contact the International Student Advice Service: 

If you are unwell, please refer to the latest advice from Public Health England. If you do need to self-isolate or are ill, please notify your module leader to let them know about your condition. Please also contact Visa Compliance ( to let us know so we are aware that you will not be able to engage with online study while you recover.


Email address of the International Student Advice Service:
Email address of Visa Compliance: