London Met student Maria shares her recipe for pancakes and topping ideas ahead of Shrove Tuesday
Date: 21 Feb 2023
As a student, I find there’s little time, and I don’t want to spend lots and lots of money on delicious goodies or spend money on breakfast, so home cooking is always my aim when I can.
I am also interested in pursuing vegan-friendly options because they’re both healthier and better for the environment. I decided to try this recipe out and let me tell you, they’re super easy, delicious and quick to make. The biggest benefit is they’re mess-free so there will be very little cleaning up to do after.
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- Five ripe bananas
- 1/4 cup all-purpose/plain flour
- Mash your bananas in a bowl with a fork.
- Make sure to keep mashing until they're as soft and smooth as possible.
- Add your flour into the bowl. Don’t worry if looking a little dry, the milk will fix it and it’s easier to add milk than take away flour!
- Pour your milk into the bowl and mix until you have a runny consistency. It's okay if the batter is a bit lumpy, as it will give the pancakes some texture. Keep mixing until the batter is smooth if you prefer.
- Heat a frying pan on medium heat and add some oil or vegan spread.
- Using a large spoon or ladle, pour the batter into the pan in thick enough layers to flip over.
- Flip the pancake once the first side is golden brown. Wait for the same on the other side and...
- You're done!
- The bananas give a natural sweet taste to these pancakes, but if you want extra sugar, grab that maple or date syrup to drizzle on top! Icing sugar works great too!
- Make sure the bananas are ripe, close to super ripe as if they’re too hard and green it will be hard to mash and your pancakes won’t be as sweet or stick as well.
- Use a spatula to lift the edges of each pancake when frying, this helps to see if its ready to flip!
- Alpro do a great vegan single-cream option in most supermarkets.
Vegan topping options
- Vegan syrups: date syrup, maple syrup, carob syrup
- Add more bananas on top!
- Vegan whipped cream
- Vegan ice cream