Marie has a Postgraduate Certificate in Teaching and Learning (London Metropolitan University), a Cambridge Certificate Royal Society of Arts (RSA) Certificate for Teaching English as a Foreign Language to Adults (CTEFLA) in English Language Teaching (International House) and a BA honours degree in European Studies (University of Hull).
Marie is a Higher Education Academy Fellow and a member of the Foundation Year Network (FYN). Prior to working at London Metropolitan University, she taught English as a Foreign Language, Communications Skills, Business Skills and International English Language Testing System (IELTS) at a variety of institutions in the UK and Spain. Marie has also been involved in pre-sessional courses, teacher training and educational materials development. At London Metropolitan University she has taught on and led the International Foundation Programme and Junior Year Abroad, and taught on the foundation year degree in Social Sciences and Humanities. Her current role is Senior Lecturer in the School of Social Professions. She teaches a range of modules on the foundation year of the School's foundation year programmes and on the first year of the Education BA.
Marie currently teaches and leads a variety of modules on the foundation year of the School of Social Professions' foundation year degrees, and on the first year of the University's Education BA (Hons). Her professional interests include inclusive learning, widening participation, creative practice and academic literacies.
Marie has published under her maiden name, Turner:
- Peters H and Turner M (2005) ‘Finally I learnt how to put myself in this different education system’ A case study of international students studying at university in the UK in Barnard R., Franken M. and May S. (eds.) (2005) LED 2003 1st International Conference on Language, Education and Diversity, University of Waikato, New Zealand
- Lowes R, Peters H and Turner M (2004) The International Student’s Guide – Studying in English at University, London: Sage
- Turner M (2004) 'Cultural Differences in Academic Writing - international students' perceptions of 'good' academic writing', in English in Higher Education in WDHE conference proceedings, 2004, Sheffield Hallam
- Turner M (2004) 'Written comments on student writing - how can we ensure that our feedback is effective?' in Investigations in University Teaching and Learning, Vol. 2, Issue 2, Summer 2004
- Turner M (2003) Review of a chapter on student writing and plagiarism in Investigations in University Teaching and Learning, Vol. 1, No 1, Spring 2003
Marie has presented at various conferences:
- Foundation Year Network Conference: Creating a way out of the deficit module (2019)
- An Inclusive Approach to Student Development (2018)
- Reflections on moving from generic to subject-specific foundation year pathways (2017)
- London Metropolitan Learning and Teaching Conference: Creative collaborations: a Community of Practice (2019)
- An inclusive approach to student development: insights from our foundation programme (2018)
- Preparing students for success: from generic foundations to subject-specific pathways (2017)
- London Metropolitan University CreAte COP: An alternative assessment approach - 'Digital Me' (2019)
Senior Lecturer in Language and Learning