Dr Nirmala Lee
Dr Nirmala Lee was a senior banker and banking consultant at international banks for many years in London and elsewhere prior to joining the University. She has been a visiting lecturer at universities and bank training centres including at Doha, Nice and Poitiers. Nirmala has retained her links with the banking industry through her involvement with the Financial Services Authority (FSA)/National Institute for Adult Continuing Education (NIACE)’s Financial Literacy Advisory Group, Financial Services Skills Council and other bodies, and through FSA (now FCA), she enabled the University to receive funding for developing a Personal Finance module. She has been responsible for the meeting of University and Industry by developing links with Standard Chartered Bank and the International Compliance Association (ICA).
Nirmala was an invited Panel Speaker at the G20 Think-Tank T20 Forum, she has given interviews for Zhejiang Television, China and for the BBC World Service on Forex rigging. She has presented papers internationally in the USA, Cuba, Spain, Czech Republic, India, Hong Kong and Cyprus. A gold medallist from her master’s programme, and a PhD from the University of London, she is a Principal Fellow of the Higher Education Academy (PFHEA), and Fellow of the Chartered Institute of Bankers (FCIB).
Dr. Lee's teaching expertise includes commercial and investment banking, financial regulation and compliance, empirical research in banking and finance, bank lending, personal finance and financial markets. She coordinated HE policy and strategy as Executive Officer to the Deputy Vice-Chancellor.
Lee, N. and Lee V. J. (2018) ‘Bank Lending: Principles and Practice’ Gosbrook Professional Publishing Ltd, Reading ISBN: 978 1 91218 404 0 (paperback), 978 1 91218 405 7 (hard back), 978 1 91218 406 4 (ePub), 978 1 91218 407 1 (PDF)
Lee, N. (2017) 'Walking the Second Mile before the First: A Corporate Social Responsibility Conundrum?' in 'Stages of Corporate Social Responsibility: From Ideas to Impacts' edited by Vertigans, S. and Idowu, S., Springer International Publishing AG Switzerland. ISSN 2196-7075; ISSN 2196-7083 (electronic); ISBN 978-3-319-43535-0; ISBN 978-3-319-43536-7 (eBook).
Lee, N. (2016) 'Walking the Second Mile before the First: A CSR Conundrum?' in 'Stages of Corporate Social Responsibility: From Ideas to Impacts' edited by Vertigans, S. and Idowu, S., accepted for publication by Springer International Publishing AG, Cham.
- Lee, N. (2015) ‘Global Financial Markets’, ‘Financial Conduct Authority’ and other contributions In: 'Dictionary of Corporate Social Responsibility',
- Series: CSR, Sustainability, Ethics & Governance (2015)Lee.N Idowu, S.O., Capaldi, N., Fifka, M., Zu, L., Schmidpeter, R. (eds.) Springer, Berlin (ISBN 978-3-319-10535-2) What is financial literacy, and does financial literacy education achieve its objectives? Evidence from banks, government agencies and financial literacy educators in England’ (2012) the Academy of Financial Services Annual Conference at San Antonio, Texas ‘Principles of Lending’ (2008) Peer-reviewed text book published by the Institute of Financial Services School of Finance, incorporated by Royal Charter, with ISBN: 978-1-84516-751-6, and by Global Professional Publishing with ISBN: 978-1-906403-20-1
- Coben, D. Dawes, M and Lee, N. (2005) Research Report for the DfES: ‘Financial Literacy Education and Skills for Life’ with Professor D. Coben and M. Dawes, National Research and Development Centre for adult literacy and numeracy (ISBN: 1 905188 03 X)
- Lee, N. (2001) The University, the Industry and the Economy: Can Continuous Financial Literacy Development (CFLD) Become a Reality?’ in ‘University and its students’ Daum, S. and Kruta, T. (eds.) Charles University, Prague (ISBN 80-246-0664-X)
- Expert commentary on Banking and finance
Dr. Nirmala Lee,
Associate Professor and Head of Subject (Accounting, Banking and Finance)