Mark is a Researcher of Sport Psychology and a Senior Lecturer.
Dr Mark Thompson
Mark taught on a number of modules from Foundation level through to Level 6. Modules include:
- Key studies that shaped psychology;
- Introduction to research in psychology (module leader);
- Cognition and behaviour (module leader).
Mark works as an applied performance psychology consultant in elite sport. He is primarily interested in the appraisal and emotional processes that athletes undergo during sporting competition, and how these processes impact psychophysiological and performance response. He is also interested in the factors influencing doping propensity of elite youth athletes. Finally, he is conducting NHS-funded qualitative research regarding the rehabilitation of patients who have been hospitalised through Covid-19.
- Killingback, C., Tomlinson, A., Thompson, M., Whitfield, C., & Stern, J. (2023). Teaching person-centered practice to pre-registration physiotherapy students: A qualitative study. Physiotherapy Theory and Practice, 1–13.
- Killingback, C., Thompson, M. A., Nettleton, M., Hyde, L., Marshall, P., Shepherdson, J., Crooks, M.G., Green, A., & Simpson, A. (2022). Telerehabilitation for patients who have been hospitalised with Covid-19: A qualitative study. Disability and Rehabilitation.
- Thompson, M.A., Toner, J., Perry, J.L., Burke, R., & Nicholls, A.R. (2021). Pleasant emotions widen thought-action repertoires, develop long-term resources, and improve reaction-time performance: A multi-study examination of Broaden-and-Build theory within sporting populations. Journal of Sport and Exercise Psychology.
- Killingback, C., Thompson, M.A., Forbes, C., & Swan, F. (2021). Healthcare professionals views on strength and balance programmes for falls prevention. Disability and Rehabilitation.
- Killingback, C., Thompson, M.A., Chipperfield, S., Clark, C., Hundley, V., & Williams, J. (2021). Physiotherapists’ view on their role in self-management approaches: A qualitative metasynthesis. Physiotherapy Theory and Practice.
- Nicholls, A.R., Morley, D., Thompson, M.A., Huang, C., Abt, G., Rothwell, M., Cope, E., & Ntoumanis, N. (2020). The effects of the iPlayClean education programme on the psycho-social variables associated with doping among high-level adolescent athletes from the UK: A longitudinal cluster randomised control trial. International Journal of Drug Policy.
- Thompson, M.A., Toner, J., Perry, J. L., Burke, R., & Nicholls, A.R. (2020). Stress appraisals influence athletic performance and psychophysiological response during 16.1km cycling time trials. Psychology of Sport and Exercise.
- Nicholls, A.R., Levy, A.R., Meir, R., Sanctuary, C., Jones, L., Baghurst, T., Thompson, M.A., & Perry, J.L. (2020). The Pragmatists, Avoiders, and Fair Players: An examination of the Sport Drug Control Model for Adolescent Athletes, Cluster Effects, and Norm Values among Adolescent Athletes. Frontiers in Psychology.
- Nicholls, A.R., Levy, A.R., Meir, R., Sanctuary, C., Jones, L., Baghurst, T., Thompson, M.A., & Perry, J.L. (2019). The development and validation of the Adolescent Sport Drug Inventory (ASDI) among athletes from four continents. Psychological Assessment.
- Nicholls, A. R., Cope, E., Bailey, R., Koenen, K., Dumon, D., Theodorou, N. C., Chanal, B., Saint Laurent, D., Müller, D., Andrés, M.P., Kristensen, A.H., Thompson, M.A., Baumann, W., & Laurent, J.F. (2017). Children's first experience of taking anabolic-androgenic steroids can occur before their 10th birthday: a systematic review identifying 9 factors that predicted doping among young people. Frontiers in Psychology, 8, 10-15.
- Nicholls, A.R., Levy, A.R., Carson, F., Thompson, M.A., & Perry, J.L. (2016). The applicability of self-regulation theories in sport: Goal adjustment capacities, stress appraisals, coping, and well-being among athletes. Psychology of Sport and Exercise, 27, 47-55.
- Nicholls, A.R., Perry, J.L., Levy, A.R., Meir, R., Jones, L., Baghurst, T., Sanctuary, C., & Thompson, M.A. (2015). Coach perceptions of performance enhancement in adolescence: The Sport Drug Control Model for Adolescent Athletes. Performance Enhancement & Health. 3, 93-101
- Nicholls, A. R. & Thompson, M.A. (2015). Évaluations et émotions en sport. In M. Campo & B. Louvet (Eds.). Es émotions en sport et en EPS - Apprentissage, performance et santé. De Boeck.
- Presentation entitled “Appraisals significantly influence endurance performance and psychophysiological response: Stress appraisals, emotions, coping, and cortisol response” delivered at American College of Sports Medicine, Minneapolis, MN, USA (May 30, 2018).
- Presentation entitled “Pleasant emotions widen thought-action repertoires and develop long-term resources: A multi-study examination of the Broaden-and-Build theory among athletes” to be delivered virtually at the Division of Sport and Exercise Psychology Annual Conference (December 17, 2020).
- Multiple appearances on UK-based national radio station “LoveSport Radio” discussing doping behaviours within elite sport.