Dr Peter J Laugharne, Senior Lecturer in Politics and International Relations, is the course leader for our Politics BA (Hons), International Relations and Politics BA (Hons) and International Relations and Law BA (Hons).
Dr Peter Laugharne
- Business Link London East Ltd.
- Futures – the London East Careers Service Company
- Ilford Town Centre Management Ltd.
- The Greater London Employers Association Ltd.
He also chaired the Ilford Town Centre Partnership of private, public and voluntary sector organisations.
Peter has taught a wide range of subjects including British government and politics; the politics, government and political economy of France, India and the Soviet Union; governance, public policy and public management; international relations theory; foreign policy analysis; comparative politics; European Union politics and public policy; US politics. He is the co-ordinator of the politics and international relations undergraduate project and placement modules. He has extensive experience of supervising dissertations at undergraduate, taught postgraduate and research degree levels.
Peter is the course leader for:
- Politics BA (Hons)
- International Relations and Politics BA (Hons)
- International Relations and Law BA (Hons)
He is the module leader for:
- Governance and Public Policy
- Comparative Politics
He also lectures on:
- Politics and government
- Approaches to international relations and foreign policy
Peter’s research supervision interests include British politics, comparative politics, legislative studies, public policy and management and twentieth-century British political history. He is currently conducting research on the economic advisers to the House of Commons Treasury Committee under the Thatcher Government, an important period when there was a paradigm shift in the thinking on political economy in the British government. This has relevance to a number of modules that he teaches.
Peter has supervised several Ph.D. students to successful completion – most recently on UK Civil Defence Policy – and many master's students. He has acted as an examiner for doctorates on subjects including:
- Monarchy in The Democratic Age: The Head of State Debate in Britain: A Constitutional and Comparative Analysis
- The Third Way: The British Labour Party and the Social Democratic Party of Germany
- Globalisation and Democratisation
- British Political Parties
- (Ed.) Aneurin Bevan - A Parliamentary Odyssey: Volumes I and II, Speeches at Westminster 1929-1960, Manutius Press, Liverpool, 2014, pp. 357, ISBN 9781873534304 (Digital)
- Parliament and Public Finance: The Treasury Select Committee Process 1979-1990, Manutius Press, Liverpool, 2000, pp.158, ISBN 1-873534-23-X
- (Ed.) Aneurin Bevan - A Parliamentary Odyssey: Volume II, Speeches at Westminster 1945-1960, Manutius Press, Liverpool, 2000, pp.197, ISBN 1-873534-16-7
- Ed.) Aneurin Bevan - A Parliamentary Odyssey: Volume I, Speeches at Westminster 1929-1944, Manutius Press, Liverpool, 1996, pp.160, ISBN 1-873534-13-2
- Parliament and Specialist Advice, Manutius Press, Liverpool, 1994, pp. 228, ISBN 1-873534-03-5
- "Change in Parliament", in J. Fisher, D. Denver & J. Benyon (Eds.) Central Debates in British Politics, Pearson Education, Harlow, pp. 97-118, 2002, ISBN 0582-43727-X
- ‘Introduction’, in Peter J. Laugharne (Ed.) Aneurin Bevan - A Parliamentary Odyssey: Volume II, Speeches at Westminster 1945-1960, Manutius Press, Liverpool, pp. 9-19, 2000, ISBN 1-873534-16-7
- ‘Introduction’, in Peter J. Laugharne (Ed.) Aneurin Bevan - A Parliamentary Odyssey: Volume I, Speeches at Westminster 1929-1944, Manutius Press, Liverpool, pp. 9-13, 1996, ISBN 1-873534-13-2
- ‘Elections 2021: Will the goddess Fortuna smile upon Mr. Johnson again?’ London Metropolitan University Expert Commentary, London Metropolitan University, Online, April 2021.
- “The Politics of Recession”, London Metropolitan University Expert Commentary, London Metropolitan University, Online, August 2020.
- “Boris’s Big Gamble”, London Metropolitan University Expert Commentary, London Metropolitan University, Online, November 2019.
- “Supreme Court Ruling on Prorogation”, London Metropolitan University Expert Commentary, London Metropolitan University, Online, October 2019.
- “Prorogation of Parliament”, London Metropolitan University Expert Commentary, London Metropolitan University, Online, August 2019.
- “Seven MPs Resign from the Labour Party”, London Metropolitan University Expert Commentary, London Metropolitan University, Online, February 2019.
- “London “, World Book Online Reference Center, 2007.
- “The Treasury and Civil Service Select Committee During the Thatcher Administration”, Parliamentary History, Vol. 26, pt.2, pp.225-244, 2007.
- ”Westminster Hall”, World Book Online Reference Center, 2007.
- "Kinnock, Neil Gordon", World Book Online Reference Center, 2006.
- "Manchester", The World Book Encyclopedia, World Book Publishing, Chicago, Illinois, U.S.A., p. 133, 2005, ISBN 0-7166-0102-8
- "Mansfield", The World Book Online Reference Center, World Book, Inc, Jan 2004.
- "Brighton and Hove", The World Book Encyclopedia, Volume II, World Book Publishing, Chicago, Illinois, U.S.A., p. 609, 2002, ISBN 0-7166-0102-8
- “The Evolution of Specialist Advice to Select Committees of the House of Commons in the Twentieth Century”, Parliamentary History, Vol. 18, pt. 2, pp. 169-187, 1999.
(Ed.) Aneurin Bevan - A Parliamentary Odyssey: Volumes I and II, Speeches at Westminster 1929-1960, Manutius Press, Liverpool, 2004, pp. 357, ISBN 1-873534-30-2
Research/conference papers and conference contributions:
- “Economic Advisers to the House of Commons Treasury and Civil Service Committee during the Conservative Government 1979-1990”, London Metropolitan University, Governance and International Relations Research Seminar Series, October 2010.
- Conference on Joint Renewal - Gemeinsam erneuern, Auf der Suche nach der - "Neuen Mitte" und dem "Third Way", Europaische Akademie Otzenhausen, Europahausstrase, Nonnweiler, Saarland, Germany, September 2002
- “Professional Advice to Legislative Committees”, Parliamentary Committee Systems Panel, Workshop of Parliamentary Scholars and Parliamentarians, Wissenchaftszentrum Berlin fur Sozialforschuung, University of Berlin, August 1994
- “Specialist Advice to Select Committees: Assessing the Impact on Westminster, Whitehall and Beyond”, Legislative Studies Forum, Palace of Westminster, January 1994
- “Influencing Parliament - The Specialist Adviser Role: Problems, Perceptions and Implications”, Political Studies Association National Conference, University of Lancaster, April 1991
- “The Genesis and Development of Expert Assistance to Select Committees of the British House of Commons”, Public Management Training Centre, Department of Politics, University of Leuven, Belgium, August 1990.
- Reviewer for Oxford University Press; Taylor and Francis; Political Studies; the Journal of Legislative Studies; Democratization; Macmillan; Manchester University Press; Sage Publications, Journal of Commonwealth and Comparative Politics; H-Albion.
- “The Conservatives since 1945: the drivers of party change”, by Tim Bale, Oxford, Oxford University Press, 2012. Reviewed in Democratization, Feb 2013; DOI:10.1080/13510347.2013.764114
- “Democratic Efficiency: Inequality, Representation, and Public Policy Outputs in the United States and Worldwide”, by Lee Ryan Miller, Bloomington, AuthorHouse, 2004. Reviewed in Democratization, Vol. 13, No. 4, August 2006
- “Keynes and his Critics: Treasury Responses to the Keynesian Revolution 1925-1946”, Edited by G.C. Peden, Records of Social and Economic History, New Series 36, Oxford, Oxford University Press, 2004. Reviewed on H-Albion as “Critiquing Keynes: The Treasury Insider Perspectives”, January 2006
- "Democratic Autonomy: Public Reasoning about the Ends of Policy" by Henry S. Richardson, Oxford, Oxford University Press, 2002. Reviewed in Democratization, Vol. 10, No. 4, Winter 2003
- "Towards Holistic Governance" by Perri 6, Diana Leach, Kimberley Seltzer and Gerry Stoker, Basingstoke, Palgrave Macmillan, 2002. Reviewed in Democratization, Vol. 10, No. 2, Summer 2003
- "The Prime Minister in a Shrinking World" by Richard Rose, Oxford, Polity Press, 2001. Reviewed in Political Studies, p. 385, 2002 "Law, Politics, and Local Democracy" by Ian Leigh, Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2000. Reviewed in Democratization, Vol. 8, No. 4, Winter 2001
Public Service - Education Related Experience
1994-2002 Member of the Court of City University, London
1994-95 Member of the Corporation of Redbridge College of Further Education
1994-95 Member Resources Committee
1994-96 Director Futures: London East Careers Service Company
1995-96 Member Human Resources Sub-Committee
1991-93 Governor Newland St. John’s C.E. School, Hull
1991-93 Governor Kinloss Primary School, Hull
1994-95 Governor Seven Kings High School, Ilford
1994-95 Governor Gordon Infants School, Ilford
2001-02 Governor Woodlands Infants School, Ilford
2002-03 Governor Hyleford School, Ilford
1994-95 Chair Redbridge Education Awards and Grants Committee
1994-95 Vice-Chair Redbridge Education Committee
1994-95 Vice-Chair Redbridge Education Urgent Action Sub-Committee
1995 Chair Redbridge Libraries Committee
1995 Chair Redbridge Libraries Urgent Action Sub-Committee
1995-96 Representative to National Library Association
1994-95; 1998-2000 Member Redbridge Education Committee
1994-95 Member Redbridge Further Education Appointments Panel
1994-96 Member Redbridge Music Service Management Committee
1994-95 Member Caterham Youth Centre Management Committee
1994-95 Member Kenneth Stagg Youth Centre Management Committee
1994-95 Member Mayfield Youth Centre Management Committee
1994-95 Member Woodford Youth Centre Management Committee
1994-95 Member London and South East Region Advisory Council for Education and Training
1994-2006 Public Service - London Borough of Redbridge Council
1994-2002 Councillor for Clementswood Ward; 2002-06 Loxford Ward 2000-02
Deputy Leader of the Council and Cabinet Member for Regeneration
2002-04 Opposition Spokesperson on Strategic Planning
2001-02 Vice-Chair Appointments Committee
1999-2000 Deputy Leader of the Opposition
1999-2000 Opposition Environment Spokesperson
1996-99; 2000 Chair Environment Committee
1997 Received an award from the Minister for the Environment, on behalf of the Authority, for two Home Energy Conservation Projects
1998 Recipient Green Apple Sustainable Development Award
1996-99; 2000 Chair Environment Urgent Action Sub-Committee
1997-98 Chair Environment Value for Money Task Force
2000-02 Chair Unitary Development Plan Working Party
1995-96 Vice-Chair Leisure Committee
2004-06 Member Resources and Customer Services Scrutiny Committee
2002-04 Member Planning Policy and Regeneration Scrutiny Committee
2000-04 Member Unitary Development Plan Working Party
2000-06 Member Loxford, Clementswood and Mayfield Area Committee
1999-2002 Member Council Urgent Action Sub-Committee
1994-95 Member Policy and Resources Committee
1996-2000 Member Strategy Committee
1994-95 Member Management Services Committee
1995-97 Member Highways Committee
1997-98 Member Planning Committee
1998-99 Member Corporate Resources Committee
1995-98 Vice-Chair Redbridge London Transport Liaison Group
1994-95 Vice-Chair HMS Urchin Trophy Panel
1994-95 Member Discretionary Rate Relief Sub-Committee
1994-95 Member Members’ Services and Facilities Sub-Committee
1994-95 Member Redbridge HMS Churchill Trust Fund Committee
1998-99 Member Millenium Working Party
1994-95 Member Redbridge Employees Appeals Sub-Committee
2000-02 Member of the Board, Thames Gateway London Partnership
1997-99 Chair, Redbridge Sustainability Panel
1996-99; 2000-02 Chair Ilford Town Centre Partnership
1994-97 Representative to Greater London Employers Association Ltd
1994-97 Member Greater London Whitley Council
1994-97 Member Greater London Provincial Council
1994-96 Member Greater London Training and Safety Council
1994-96 Member Redbridge Racial Equality Council and Executive Committee
1994-96 Representative to Redbridge Police/Community Consultative Group
1995-96 Member Redbridge Arts Council and Executive Committee
1998-99 Representative to Greater London Enterprise Ltd
1998-99 Representative to London Research Centre
1998-02 Delegate to Local Government Association General Assembly
1997-98 Member Local Government Association Economic Regeneration Committee
2002-02 Member Association of London Government, Economic Development, Regeneration and Europe Panel
2000-02; 2000-01 Vice-Chair of Panel
1996-98 Member Association of London Government Environment Committee
1998-2000 Member Association of London Government Environment and Transport Panel
1998-2000 Deputy Member Heathrow Airport Consultative Committee
1998-2002 Director, Ilford Town Centre Management Ltd
2001-02 Vice-Chairman of Board
1996-98 Director, Business Link London East Ltd
1995-96 Director, Greater London Employers Association Ltd
1994-2000 Public Service - London Fire and Civil Defence Authority
1994-2000 Member London Fire and Civil Defence Authority
1997-2000 Member LFCDA Executive Cabinet
1998-2000 Deputy Chief Whip with responsibility for External Relations
1997- 2000 Chair LFCDA Executive Cabinet/Corporate Management Group
1998-2000 Alternate Member Disciplinary Appeals Committee
1997-99 Member Policy and Resources Committee
1994-98 Member Contractor Sub-Committee
1995-97 Member Operations Committee
1994-95 Vice-Chair Emergency Planning Committee
1998-2000 Member Local Government Association National Fire Committee
Peter’s broadcast, print and electronic media contributions include:
- BBC Newsnight
- Sky TV News
- Bloomberg Media
- De Standard, Belgium
- Mainichi newspapers, Japan
- New York Daily News
- New York Post
Dr Peter J. Laugharne, BSc (Econ), PhD
Senior Lecturer in Politics and International Relations