What documents will I need?

Before you apply for your visa you should ensure you have the original copies of the required documents. You should read the Home Office's UKVI information for full details on which documents are required for your visa application.

You will need to provide the following documents with your application, although you may need to provide additional documents depending on your circumstances:

  • qualification documents as listed in your Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS)
  • English language documents as listed in your CAS
  • passport
  • financial documents to demonstrate that you have sufficient funds – please take a look at our financial requirements section
  • translations of all documents not in English
  • one passport photograph – please read the Home Office's guidance on the correct format for passport photos
  • your tuberculosis test result (if you're from a country where you're required to take a test)

Please note that you may be required to provide additional documents and the online application will give you a personalised checklist of documents you must provide.

What financial requirements must I meet?

The Student visa application requirements are very strict and it's easy to make a mistake that can lead to a visa refusal. Please read all of the sections below and remember that we may ask you to provide correct and accurate evidence of your finances before we issue your final Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS). The most common cause of visa refusals comes from presenting financial documents in the incorrect format so please read the information carefully.

How much money will I need to show?

To claim the 10 points for maintenance you will need to show or, if you qualify for different documentary requirements, declare that you (or your parents) have held the required funds for a 28-day period ending no more than one month before the date of your application.

Course fees

You must have enough money to pay your course fees for the first year of your course or the entire course if it is less than one year long. Your Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS) will state the fees that you will be required to pay. The Home Office's UK visas and immigration (UKVI) team will use the details in your CAS to confirm how much money you have already paid to the University and how much of your fees you still need to pay. If you have not paid your full first year fee you will need to show you hold this money in your account.


Your accommodation and living costs are called maintenance. You must have a fixed amount of money to cover your maintenance. London Met is located in inner London, which means that you are required to hold £1,334 for each month of your course for the first nine months or £1,334 for each month if your course lasts less than nine months. This means that, if you will be studying at London Met on a course that lasts one month only, the minimum amount that you will need is £1,334. If you will be studying on a course lasting nine months or more, the minimum amount that you will need is £12,006.

Please note that you will also have to pay the Immigration Health Surcharge (IHS) of £470 per year for students studying a course lasting six months or longer. This will entitle you to use the National Health Service at no extra cost during your stay in the UK. It will be refunded only where an application for leave to enter or remain is refused. The IHS is automatically calculated and paid for as part of the online Student visa application. Further information about the NHS Surcharge can be found on the Home Office website.

Preparing your documents

When preparing your finances it is important you observe the following advice:

  • it is often a good idea to hold more money than you need because exchange rates may change slightly during the 28 day period
  • the balance in your account must not drop below the required amount, even by £1, for a single day
  • do not use any of the money in the account until after your visa has been issued to you, in case you are asked to present new documents
  • the bank statements that you provide must be no more than 31 days old
  • use the official exchange rate website Oanda to convert your currency to pound sterling 
  • some financial institutions are not accepted by the Home Office – check the list of authorised and unauthorised financial institutions.

Calculating your financial requirements for your Student visa application (example only)

If your course fee is, for example, £10,500 and you have paid or intend to pay £5,250 (50% of your tuition fees) to obtain your CAS and you intend to pay the remaining fees at your enrolment or thereafter (£5,250) your bank statement must demonstrate that you have a total of £17,256. This includes £12,006 (standard maintenance requirement for a course lasting nine months or longer) and £5,250 (remaining tuition fees).

What financial documents do I need?

If you do not qualify for different documentary requirements that applies to Nationals from the countries listed in paragraph 22 of Appendix ST of the Immigration Rules, then you will need to present original financial evidence in the formats listed below with your visa application. We will also request to see these documents before we issue a CAS to you, so that you have peace of mind that your documents are correct.

If you are a national of a country that qualifies for different documentary requirements, you will not need to send these documents with your visa application and we will not ask to see them. However, please remember as stated in the section above, you will be asked to declare on your visa application that you have the funds and documents as required. If UKVI ask to see your documents and you do not have them or the funds as declared, then your visa will be refused and your immigration history with UKVI may be negatively impacted. If you would like us to review your documents so that you are comfortable you have everything in place, please contact adviceinternational@londonmet.ac.uk.

In order to be eligible for the 10 maintenance points you will need to provide very specific financial documents as outlined in the Home Office's Student and Child Student guidance.

You can demonstrate that you have enough money by providing one of the following:

  • personal paper bank statements
  • electronic bank statements
  • an official letter from an authorised bank confirming funds
  • an official letter from an authorised financial institution confirming loan funds

Can I use a parent's bank account? 

Yes, the funds must be held either in your own name or your parent's or legal guardian's name. If you would like to use your parent's funds you will also need to provide:

  • your original birth or adoption certificate showing the names of your parents or court document naming your legal guardian
  • a letter from your parents that confirms the relationship between you and your parents and which also give consent to you using their funds for your education in the UK

How do I show I have an official financial sponsor? 

An official financial sponsor can be your own government or the UK government, the British Council or any international organisation, international company, university or independent school.  

You must provide a letter from the sponsor on official letter-headed paper that includes all of the following:

  • your name
  • the name and contact details of the official financial sponsor
  • the date of the letter
  • the length of the sponsorship
  • the amount of money the sponsor is giving to you or a statement that your official financial sponsor will cover all of your fees and living costs

If you'll be receiving sponsorship from an official financial or government sponsor that does not cover all of the fees and maintenance, please remember that you will have to show that you have the rest of the required maintenance in your own or parent's name. 

If the sponsorship also covers your dependants the letter confirming sponsorship must include the names of your dependants.  

How should my financial documents be presented? 

Your financial documents must be presented in the correct format as indicated in the Student and Child Student Guidance.

Original paper/electronic statements

Personal bank statements, either original or electronic, covering a consecutive 28-day period ending no more than 31 days before the date of your application, must include all of the following:

  • your name or the name of a parent/legal guardian if applicable
  • your account number
  • your bank's name and logo
  • the amount of funds in your account (the balance should show that there are sufficient funds in your account to cover the cost of any unpaid tuition fees and the required maintenance funds) – please note: the funds required must have been in your bank account for a continuous period of 28 days and your statements must not be more than one month old

If you're using electronic bank statements each page must be stamped by the bank or your bank must issue a letter confirming the authenticity of your electronic bank statements.

Bank letter

You can provide a bank letter confirming funds have been held for a consecutive 28-day period ending no more than 31 days before the date of your application. This can be the easiest and most simple way to provide the evidence that you have the correct amount of maintenance funds. The letter must include all of the following:

  • your name or the name of your parent/legal guardian 
  • the date of the letter
  • the account number
  • the financial institution's name and logo
  • the amount of funds in your account – this must be sufficient to cover the cost of any unpaid tuition fees and the required maintenance funds
  • written confirmation that the funds listed have been in your bank account for a continuous period of 28 days and that the balance has not fallen below the required amount – any letter issued by your bank must be used to apply for a visa within 31 days of the closing balance date indicated

Loan funding document

A letter confirming educational loan funds must include the following:

  • your full name
  • the date of the letter
  • the loan provider/financial institution's name and logo
  • the funds available as a loan
  • evidence that the loan is provided by your national government, their state or regional government, a government sponsored student loan company or is part of an academic or educational loans scheme

The letter confirming your loan funding must also be dated no more than six months before the date of your visa application.

Will I need Academic Technology Approval Scheme (ATAS) certification?

If you're a non-EU/non-EEA citizen planning to undertake research based postgraduate study in the UK in certain science, engineering or technology disciplines you may need to acquire an ATAS certificate before you can apply for a visa to come into the UK, or renew an existing visa for the UK. Holders of other types of visas such as Tier 2 will now also be required to obtain an ATAS certificate.

The Academic Technology Approval Scheme (ATAS) has been introduced by the UK government in order to "ensure that people who are studying in the UK in sensitive subjects do not have links to weapons of mass destruction programmes".

If you require an ATAS certificate, this would normally have been requested during the application stage. It will also be stated on your Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS). For full details on the ATAS certificate and requirements check the Home Office website.

TB certificates

You’ll need to have a tuberculosis (TB) test if you’re coming to the UK for more than 6 months and are resident in any of these listed countries.

You will not need a TB test if any of the following apply:

  • you’re a diplomat accredited to the UK
  • you’re a returning UK resident and haven’t been away for more than 2 years
  • you lived for at least 6 months in a country where TB screening is not required by the UK, and you’ve been away from that country for no more than 6 months