Travelling in Europe
The Schengen visa
If you'd like to travel to one of the 26 European countries that make up the Schengen space you may need to apply for a Schengen visa. You can check on the European Commission website whether you need a visa.
The common Schengen visa is a visa for short stays of up to three months for the following countries:
- Czech Republic
In order to apply for the visa you should check the embassy website of the Schengen member country you wish to visit for an application form and full details of the Schengen visa requirements. If you're planning to travel to more than one Schengen country you should apply to the embassy of the country that will be your main destination.
What documents will I need?
This varies between countries but generally you will require the following:
- a completed application form, signed by the applicant
- a recent passport photograph(s)
- the original passport or official travel document of each traveller
- proof of purpose of the visit – this can be an invitation letter from friends/family or conference organisers, or proof of accommodation/tour booking
- evidence of sufficient funds to complete your trip
- evidence of student status – you will need a recent letter from the University confirming that you're a full-time student
- travel insurance for the entire trip – this must include cover for medical expenses
- the Schengen visa fee – this varies depending on which of the Schengen countries is issuing the visa
All of the documents you provide must be the originals – photocopies will not be accepted. We advise you to make copies of your passport and all the documents that you submit to the Embassy and ensure that you carry photocopies of all the documents that you submitted in support of your application.
Please check that your current student visa will allow you to return to the UK – most member states request that you have a minimum length of leave remaining on your student visa after you return to the UK but this varies between countries so you will need to check the requirements on the relevant website.
If you're travelling to countries outside of the Schengen space, you should contact that country’s embassy in the UK for information about immigration procedures there.