Students from some non-EEA countries who are studying for more than six months are required to register with the police within seven days of arrival in the UK.
If your visa reads "Must register with the police within 7 days", "Pol Reg" or similar message, you will need to make sure that you do this as soon as possible after you arrive in the UK. If your visa does not mention police registration, you do not have to register.
The 30 day entry clearance visa will still state whether you need to register with the police. If you are issued with this new 30 day visa, you will also receive a letter confirming that your visa application for the UK has been successful and provide the start/expiry date of your visa.
If the above applies to you, you can register with the police by attending the OVRO either:
(A) Before collecting your Biometric Residence Permit (BRP) from the designated post office: Attend the OVRO with all documents and fee listed on their website and the original of the accompanying letter issued abroad. Once you have collected your BRP from the post office, you do not need to attend the OVRO to report this card. All future (In Country) BRP’s must be reported within seven days as usual.
(B) After collecting your BRP from the post office: Attend the OVRO with all documents and fee listed on their website. You must also bring your BRP.
In order to register with the police, please read the following information and take the requested documents to the Overseas Visitors Records Office at 323 Borough High Street London SE1 1JL.
Please be aware that it can be very busy and you may need to wait before you are seen. At extremely busy times, they may provide you with an appointment slip for you to return at a later date. If this happens, don't worry if the appointment is later than 7 days from arrival. As long as you have been given the slip within 7 days of arrival you are still considered to be in time. You must attend on the date of your appointment or you will be out of time.
- Photo requirements: Only one photo will be required, which must be pasted and not stapled, within the guidelines on the form. The photo must be in colour and of true likeness. The size must be no more or no less than 45 millimetres (mm) high x 35 millimetres (mm) wide. Any photo that does not meet this requirement will result in the application being refused. Although there are no specific background colour requirements, the background must be plain.
- Errors and amendments: any forms with an error and/or amendments will not be accepted.
- Documents required for registration
- Passport (with visa)
- Completed proforma (Optical Character Recognition, OCR)*
- One colour photo (45mm x 35mm) pasted to the proforma
- Biometric Residence Permit (BRP) if applicable
- £34 registration fee
*The OVRO will not accept handwritten or previous versions of the proforma. The proforma will be located under the "Related documents" section on the OVRO web page along with guidance notes on how to complete the form. Please note: make sure this is printed, preferrably from your home or the University, before you go to the OVRO as some businesses may charge you up to £5 to print it out for you.
Further police registration information can be found on the Metropolitan Police website.
Your address details
It is important to keep your address and contact details up to date and to inform the University immediately if any of these details change. You can do this using the applicant portal or by contacting the London Met Visa Compliance team (email@example.com). The UKVI may need to contact you and it is your responsibility to ensure the UKVI have your correct contact details at all times.