NHS Learning Support Fund
The NHS Learning Support Fund is available for pre-registration undergraduate or postgraduate courses in allied health professions, nursing and midwifery. It is a non-taxable, non-means-tested and non-repayable grant package. 
You must be:
  • Enrolled on one of the following NHS courses: BSc Dietetics; BSc Dietetics and Nutrition; MSc Dietetics and Nutrition; MSc Physiotherapy; BSc Adult Nursing. 
  • Eligible for tuition fees and maintenance support* from the Student Loans Company, either through Student Finance England (SFE) or the relevant funding bodies for Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland. 
*European tuition-fee-loan-only students are not eligible for this fund. 
What funding can I receive? 
The NHS Learning Support Fund offers:
  • Training Grant of £5,000 per year  
  • Parental Support of £2,000 per year for students with a dependent child/children  
  • Special Subject Payment of £1,000 per year for mental health nursing and learning disability nursing courses (please note mental health nursing and learning disability nursing are not currently offered by London Met)  
  • Travel and Dual Accommodation Expenses – reimbursement of excess costs incurred on practice placement  
  • Exceptional Support Fund – up to £3,000 per year for students experiencing financial hardship
You can receive this funding in addition to the undergraduate funding package from Student Finance England (SFE).
How to apply  
You should apply for SFE funding before the end of May 2023 to ensure your funding is in place for September. 
Once you have received your entitlement letter from SFE you can apply for the NHS Learning Support Fund
Further information 

NHS Business Services Authority 

Nursing students who require information on eligibility for welfare benefits while studying may contact The Royal College of Nursing Welfare Service
Photograph of two students talking in the Learning Centre

At a glance

Maximum value:  £5,000 + supplementary grants
Open to: UK full-time students on NHS-funded courses
Studying at level: Undergraduate / Postgraduate
The information on this page applies to students starting courses in these academic years (as indicated):