Upward Bound is a programme aimed at supporting attainment and aspirations for young people in participating Islington secondary schools.
Supported and funded by the Dame Alice Owen's Foundation, it provides an alternative learning environment within a university setting – addressing the academic, social and cultural needs of the cohort.
Since 2006, Upward Bound has proved to be a valued supplementary educational intervention for Islington schools, supporting more than 1000 pupils through their GCSEs and beyond. The programme has been successful in raising the attainment of its pupils and continues to surpass national and borough results. The programme runs on Saturday mornings during term time for 29 weeks each year at London Metropolitan University. There's also a residential trip in the summer term. Students in year groups nine and 10 participate in the programme for two years, allowing them to feel a sense of community and, importantly, stability.
The programme is run as a partnership between The London Borough of Islington and London Met as lead delivery partner.
Please contact Maxine-Bunting Thomas for further information.
What is Upward Bound
Find out more about the Upward Bound programme from our Peer Mentors and programme leader Maxine. Hear about what happens during sessions and the support you can receive on the programme.
How to apply
Applications for the 2022-23 academic year are now open for students from participating Islington schools. If you have been invited by your school to apply please complete our online application form.
If you have any questions please contact Maxine by emailing M.Bunting-Thomas@londonmet.ac.uk or call/leave a voicemail on 07826904417.
Key dates and times
- Sessions take place on Saturday mornings during term time between 10am and 2.30pm. Groups will be given their exact timings in advance.
- Serssions start on Saturday 8th October 2022.
- Since starting in 2006, Upward Bound has supported more than 1000 students
- 200 young people attend the programme each year
- In 2021, 80 per cent of students rated their Upward Bound experience as 'very positive'
- In 2021, 84 per cent of students achieved a minimum of Grade 4 or above in Maths and English from provisional teacher assessment data