Dr A Erdi Öztürk is a lecturer in International Relations and Politics at London Met. He is also a visiting scholar at the Department of Political Science and International Relations, University of Birmingham.
Dr A Erdi Öztürk
Erdi is the co-editor of the Edinburgh University Press Series on Modern Turkey. He was also the Turkey correspondent of an international scientific network, namely the Sociological and Legal Data on Religions in Europe and Beyond (EUREL).
Erdi was a Swedish Institute post-doctoral fellow at the Institute for Research on Migration, Ethnicity and Society (REMESO) at Linköping University, Sweden. He was also a post-doctoral scholar at University of Notre Dame’s Kroc Institute in the United States.
Erdi is the co-editor of Authoritarian Politics in Turkey: Elections, Resistance and the AKP (2017) and Islam, Populism and Regime Change in Turkey (2019). Hi is also co-editor of three special issues on religion, politics and authoritarianism. He is the author of almost 20 peer-reviewed journal articles on religion, global politics and contemporary Turkish politics. His work has been published in:
- Politics and Religion
- Journal of European Political Science, Religion, Ideology and Politics
- Southeast European and Black Sea Studies
- Journal of Critical Studies on Terrorism
- Oxford Bibliographies
- Journal of Research and Politics in Turkey
- Muslim Year Book
- Journal of Balkan and Near East Studies
He is a regular contributor to media outlets such as Open Democracy, The Conversation, Huffington Post and France 24.
Erdi received his doctorate entitled 'Religion, Identity and Power: Turkey’s Desire of Domination in the Balkans Under the AKP Rule' from the University of Strasbourg in 2018 with the highest distinction (summa cum laude).
Erdi’s research interests include:
- religion and global politics
- history of contemporary Turkey
- politics of the Middle East, Europe and the Balkans
- theories of international relations and democratisation
- migration and kin policies
He would welcome any research applications in these areas.
- 2020 (Under contract/forthcoming) Religion, Identity and Power: Turkey in the Balkans, Edinburgh University Press.
- 2020 (Under contract/forthcoming) Islam-Populism-Regime Change in Turkey: Making and re-Making of the AKP, Routledge, ISBN: 978-0-367-40534-2. (with Hakan Yavuz)
- 2017 Authoritarian Politics in Turkey: Elections, Resistance and the AKP, (eds. Bahar Başer & Ahmet Erdi Öztürk) I.B. Tauris: London.
- 2019 Islam-Populism-Regime Change in Turkey: Making and re-Making of the AKP, Journal of Southeast European and Black Sea Studies, vol. 19. No. 1. (with Hakan Yavuz)
- 2018 The Future of the Gülen Movement – Decline in Exile or Phoenix from the Ashes?, the Journal of Politics, Religion and Ideology, vol. 19, No. 1.
- 2018 Religion as a Foreign Policy Tool Scrutinising the Multi-Dimensional Roles of Turkey’s Diyanet Abroad, European Journal of Turkish Studies (with Samim Akgonul)
- 2019 The View from Next Door: Greek-Turkish Relations after the Coup Attempt in Turkey, in the Journal of International Spectator, (with Bahar Baser and Nikos Christofis).
- 2019 An Alternative Reading of Religion and Authoritarianism: The New Logic Between Religion and State in the AKP’s New Turkey, in Journal of Southeast European and Black Sea Studies, vol. 19, no 1
- 2019 Turkish Secularism and Islam under the Reign of Erdoğan, in Journal of Southeast European and Black Sea Studies, vol. 19, no. 1
- 2018 Transformation of the Turkish Diyanet both at Home and Abroad: Three Stages, in European Journal of Turkish Studies;
- 2018 A Frame for Turkey’s Foreign Policy via the Diyanet in the Balkans, with Istar Gözaydın, in the Journal of Muslims in Europe, vol. 7, Issue 3, pp. 331-350.
- 2018 Lack of self-confidence of the authoritarian regimes and academic freedom: the case of İştar Gözaydın from Turkey, in the Journal of European Political Science.
- 2018 From ‘diaspora by design’ to transnational political exile: The Gülen Movement in transition, in the Journal of Politics, Religion and Ideology, vol. 19, No. 1, pp.33-52.
- 2018 The future of the Gülen Movement in political exile: Introduction to the special issue, With, in the Journal of Politics, Religion and Ideology, vol. 19, . 1, pp. 1-10. Diyanet as a Turkish Foreign Policy Tool: Evidence from the Netherlands and Bulgaria, with Semiha Sözeri in the Journal of Politics and Religion.
- 2017 Redefinition of state apparatuses: AKP’s formal-informal networks in the online realm, with Dağhan Irak in the Journal of Balkan and Near Eastern Studies.
- 2017 Turkey’s Draft Constitutional Amendments: A Critical Perspective, with İştar Gözaydın, in Journal of Research and Policy on Turkey, vol. 2, No. 2, pp. 210-224.
- 2017 Delectation or Hegemony: Turkey's Religious Actors in South-Eastern Europe and Central Asia, in the Journal of EUXEINOS- Culture and Governance in the Black Sea Region, vol. 23, no. 1, pp. 15-24.
- 2017 Academics for Peace in Turkey: A Case of Criminalizing Dissent via Counterterrorism Discourse, with Bahar Başer & Samim Akgönül in the Journal of Critical Studies on Terrorism
- 2016 Turkey’s Diyanet under AKP Rule: From Protector to Imposer of State Ideology, in Journal of Southeast European and Black Sea Studies, vol. 16, no. 4, pp. 619-633.
- 2014 The Presidential Election in Turkey: History and Future Expectations, in Contemporary Southeastern Europe, vol. 1, no. 4, pp. 110-118.
- 2019 (forthcoming), “Diyanet Activities in Prisons” with İştar Gözaydın, Prison and Religion (eds. Julia Martinez Arino and Anne-Laure Zwiling) Springer.
- 2019 “Turkey in the Western Balkans under AKP rule: Forced Marriage or Marriage of Convenience” with Samim Akgönül, External Orientation of Western Balkan Countries, (eds. Florian Bieber and Nikolaos Tzifakis) Routledge, pp. 225-240.
- 2018 “Turkey Chapter”, Yearbook of Muslim in Europe Vol. 10 (eds. Oliver Scharbrodt, Jorgen Nielsen, Samim Akgönül) Brill, pp. 674-689.
- 2018 “Academics for Peace in Turkey: A Case of Criminalizing Dissent via Counterterrorism Discourse”, with Bahar Başer & Samim Akgönül, in Critical Terrorism Studies at Ten: Contributions, Cases and Future Challenges, 11th Edition (eds. Richard Jackson, Harmonie Toros, Lee Jarvis and Charlotte Heath-Kelly), Routledge.
- 2018 “Turkey’s Diyanet under AKP Rule: From Protector to Imposer of State Ideology” in Exit from Democracy: Illiberal Governance in Turkey and Beyond (eds. Kerem Öktem and Karabekir Akkoyunlu) Routledge, pp. 151-168.
- 2017 “Turkey Chapter”, Yearbook of Muslim in Europe vol. 9 (eds. Oliver Scharbrodt, Jorgen Nielsen, Samim Akgönül) Brill, pp. 679-695.
- 2017 “Is it Curtains for Turkish Democracy?” with Bahar Başer, Authoritarian Politics in Turkey: Elections, Resistance and the AKP, (eds. Bahar Baser & Ahmet Erdi Öztürk) I.B. Tauris/
- 2017 “Turkey’s Policies Based on Religion in the Balkans: A Useful Glue for Societies” with İştar Gözaydın in, Laboratory Western Balkans: Regime Cha(lle)nge, Peter Lang Edition, pp. 133-149.
- 2019 Tough season for the Turkish opposition Open Democracy
- 2019 Turkish centre-right: Soon over-crowded? Open Democracy
- 2018 L’opposition turque peut-elle s’unir et faire obstacle à Erdoğan? The Conversation French
- 2018 Can Turkey’s opposition unite and challenge power-hungry Erdoğan? The Conversation Global
- 2017 Erdoğan ‘won’ his referendum, but what does that mean for Turkey’s foreign policy? The Conversation Global
- 2017 Turkey’s constitutional referendum: experts express fear for a divided country, The Huffington Post and The Conversation Global
- 2017 Will Turkey’s referendum mark the end of democracy and the birth of ‘Erdoğanistan’, The Conversation Global, The Huffington Post and US News
- 2017 Does Turkey use ‘spying imams’ to Assert Its Power Abroad, The Huffington Post
- 2017 Dejalj iz Panorame Erdoganove Turske, Novi Plamen (Serbian Language)
- 2017 A Smal Picture in the Big Picture of Erdoğan’s Turkey, Open Democracy
- 2016 Turkey’s Draft Constitutional Amendments: Harking Back to 1876? Verfassunggsblog on Matters Constitutional
- 2016 Turkey’s Draft Constitutional Amendments: Harking Back to 1876?, Open Democracy
- 2016 Is the worst yet to come? Coup attempt quake and its aftershocks, Independent Turkey
- 2016 Airport Attack in Istanbul: Can Turkey keep its citizens safe? Independent Turkey
- 2016 Transformation or Make-Over? Turkish foreign policy after the Davutoğlu era, Independent Turkey
- 2016 In the Home Stretch of Erdoğan’s Presidential System, Who is the Real Enemy?, Research Turkey
- 2016 Turkey’s Presidential Transition, Done the Hard Way, Open Democracy
- 2016 Take of Opposition Newspaper is a Death Warrant for Free Speech in Turkey, The Conversation
- 2016 Relocating IPSA 2016 from Istanbul: One Right, Two Wrongs and Many Traitors, Open Democracy
- 2016 CHP’s Trouble with Itself, Bianet
- 2016 Vadiden Ovaya, Polat’tan Ertuğrul’a Siyaset ile Eklemlenmiş Beyaz Cam (From Valley to Lowland, From Polat to Ertuğrul: White Screen which is articulated with Politics), Istanbul Art News
- 2016 Erdoğan’s Turkey: Anti-terror Crackdown Claims Freedom as its Victim, The Conversation
- 2015 Turkey Result: How Harshly Will Erdogan Clamp Down on Dissent? International Newsweek
- 2015 People Turned to the Devil They Know, Your Middle East
- 2015 Turkey Election: Erdogan and the AKP get the majority back amid a climate of violence and fear, The Conversation
- 2015 Turkey: Erdogan Is Forcing His People to Take Sides, The Epoch Times
- 2015 A dispute between inoperative and absent systems Hürriyet Daily News
- 2014 What Turkey Needs from Davutoğlu Government Open Democracy
- 2014 The Politics of Polarization in Turkey, Hürriyet Daily News
- 2019 Interviewed by, BalkanInsight, “Balkan Nationals Seek Holiday Bargains in Stricken Turkey”
- 2019 Interviewed by, BalkanInsight, “Istanbul Election Re-Run May Decide Turkey’s Future”
- 2018 Interviewed by, Kristeligt Dagblad (Denmark), “Den tyrkiske udgave af islam hard et osmanniske kalifat som forbillede”
- 2018 Interviewed by, Elsevier Weekly (Netherland), “Dit is de lange arm van Erdogan”
- 2018 Interviewed by, 24.ur Daily (Slovenia), “Erdogan je uničil turške sanje”
- 2018Interviewed by, Le Point (France), “Il est impossible de "débrancher" l'islam consulaire en Europe”
- 2018 Interviewed by, France 24 (France), Evening News
- 2018 Interviewed by, Mardom (Iran), “Turkey’s Election: 2018”
- 2018 Interviewed by, Le Point (France), “Enquete sur le systeme Erdoğan”
- 2018 Interviewed by, 24.ur Daily (Slovenia), “Turkish Soft Power and TV Series in the Balkans”
- 2018 Interviewed by, Bianet (Turkey), “İktidar Bloğu Erdoğancı - Milliyetçi - İslamcı - Kemalist Garip Bir Kombinasyon”
- 2017 Interviewed by, The Bloomberg TV, “The Anniversary of the Coup Attempt of Turkey”
- 2017 Interviewed by, The Bloomberg, “Evening News: Turkey’s Constitution Referendum”, 18 April
- 2017 Interviewed by, France 24, “Evening News: Turkey’s Constitution Referendum”, 17 April
- 2017 Interviewed by, The Bloomberg, “Evening News: Turkish Referendum 2017”
- 2017 Interviewed by, Trouw Netherlands, “Erdogan mengt zich in Bulgaarse verkiezingen”
- 2016 Interviewed by, Knack Nieuws Belgium, “Turkse moskeeën in België gevraagd te spioneren voor Turkse overheid", 13 December
- 2016 Interviewed by, International Policy Digest, “What happens to the Opposition in the Aftermath of the Turkish Coup”, 27 September
- 2016 Interviewed by France 24 on the reset of the relations between Russia and Turkey, 9 August
- 2016 Interviewed by France 24 on the first meeting of the Supreme Military Council decisions after the coup attempt in Turkey, 28th of July
- 2016 Interviewed by HRT Radio (Croatia) on the Coup attempt in Turkey, 19 July
- 2016 Interviewed by 24.ur Daily (Slovenia) on The Coup attempt in Turkey, 18 July
- 2016 Interviewed by France 24 on terrorist attacks in Istanbul, 7 June
- 2016 Interviewed by Sveriges Radio (Radio Sweden) on National Outlook Movement, AKP and the Diyanet's activities in Turkey, Sweden, the Balkans and Europe
- 2016 Interviewed by Vecer Daily (Slovenia) on the current issues and the role of Erdoğan in Turkey
- 2016 Interviewed by 24.ur Daily (Slovenia) on the Suicide Blast in Ankara and Turkey’s way through Erdoğanism
- 2016 Interviewed by HRT Radio (Croatia) on the Suicide Blast in Central Istanbul
- 2016 Interviewed by the 24.ur Daily (Slovenia) on the Suicide Blast in Central Istanbul
- 2015 Interviewed by the Shargh Daily (Iran) on the relation between AKP and the Gülen Movement
- 2015 Interviewed by the Jiyan (Turkey) on the 2014 local elections in Turkey
- 2014 Interviewed by TRT (Turkey), on the 2014 local elections in Turkey
- 2019 “In the Service of God or Power? The Gülen Movement as a Multi-layered Parapolitical Organization and its Diasporization” 2019 Centre for Studies on New Religions (CESNUR) Conference, Turin, Italy.
- 2019 “Religion, Identity and Power: Turkey’s Desire of Domination in the Balkans under the AKP Rule”, International Studies Association (ISA), Annual Convention, Toronto, Canada
- 2019 “Power, Ethics and Risk of Conducting Ethnographic Research on Politicized Phenomena” Round table participant, International Studies Association (ISA), Annual Convention, Toronto, Canada
- 2019 “Merging of Periphery and Core? The Incorporation of Unofficial Islam into Official Islam in the New Turkey and the Consequences for Domestic and Foreign Policy”, International Studies Association (ISA), Annual Convention, Toronto, Canada
- 2019 “Transnational Management of Religion as Diaspora Governance”, Conference: The International Politics of Middle East Migration: Problems, Policy Practice, British Academy & University of Birmingham, Birmingham, United Kingdom
- 2018 “Conducting Research on and in the Middle East in the Midst of Conflict, Resistance, and Displacement”, Round table participant, International Studies Association (ISA), Annual Convention, San Francisco, USA.
- 2018 “Turkey’s Religious Bureaucracy as an Instrument of Foreign Policy: The Dutch and Bulgarian Cases in Comparative Perspective” Junior Scholar Symposium International Studies Association (ISA), Annual Convention, San Francisco, USA.
- 2017 “The Exploitation of Turkey’s Diyanet: Outraging the Official Boundaries both at Home and Abroad under the AKP Rule” Conference: Religion as a foreign policy tool: Scrutinising the multi-dimensional role of Turkey’s Diyanet Abroad, University of Strasbourg, Strasbourg, France.
- 2017 “The Dialectic of Failed Democratization and the State of Exception: Turkey’s Current Authoritarian Turn in Comparative–Historical Perspective”, 2017 Conference: Law and Politics in Turkey: Law & Politics in Turkey Reform, Authority and Emergency, Buffet Institute for Global Studies, Northwestern University, Chicago, USA
- 2017 “Exploring the Dynamics Behind the Creation of Hegemonic Party Regime: AKP Era in Turkey” British Society for Middle Eastern Studies (BRISMES), Edinburg, United Kingdom
- 2017 “Turkey’s Diyanet Under AKP Rule: From Protector to Imposer of State Ideology?” British Society for Middle Eastern Studies (BRISMES), Edinburg, United Kingdom
- 2017 “Academics for Peace in Turkey”, Activist Scholarship in Human Rights: New Challenges, University of London, United Kingdom
- 2017 “Delectation or Hegemony: Turkey’s Religious Nationalism in Bulgaria via the Diyanet”, Remembering and Forgetting Imperial Past: Nationalism and the Making of Ethnicities Around the Black Sea, Aston University, Birmingham, United Kingdom
- 2017 “Paper Presentation in the Round Table of Critical Studies on Terrorism Journal Tenth Anniversary: New Empirical Directions” International Studies Association (ISA), Annual Convention, Baltimore, USA
- 2017 “From Democratic Conservatism to Hegemonic Authoritarianism of Turkey’s Erdoğan: Exploring a Discursive Shift”, International Studies Association (ISA), Annual Convention, Baltimore, USA
- 2017 “Turkey’s Diyanet Under AKP Rule: From Protector to Imposer of State Ideology?” International Studies Association (ISA), Annual Convention, Baltimore, USA
- 2017 “In the Service of Power: The Organisational Structure and Financial Operations of the Gülen Movement”, Turkey at Critical Crossroads: Dynamic Trajectories for Society, Politics and Culture, Instituto do Oriente, University of Lisbon, Portuga
- 2017 “Redefinition of state apparatuses: AKP’s formal-informal networks in the online realm” (with Dağhan Irak), Turkey at Critical Crossroads: Dynamic Trajectories for Society, Politics and Culture, Instituto do Oriente, University of Lisbon, Portugal
- 2016 “Turkey’s Diyanet qua state apparatus in Serbia: Imposer or mediator” 6th International Balkan Annual Conference, University of Belgrade, Belgrade, Serbia.
- 2016 “Miniatürk: A Tourist Destination of Hyper Dimensional Production” City, Symbols and Nationalism Workshop, International Skopje Workshop, University of Skopje, Skopje, Macedonia
- 2016 “Turkey’s Diyanet: A Very Handy State Apparatus” International Religion and Human Rights Conference, Western Sydney University, Universita Degli Studi di Padova, Padova, Italy
- 2016 “Turkey’s Foreign and Religion Policies with Intervention of the Diyanet in the Balkan Peninsula” European International Studies Association (EISA), 3rd European Workshops in International Studies, University of Tübingen, Germany
- 2015 “Religion Educations in the Balkan Countries and its Historical Backgrounds” Religion Education Conference, Helsinki Citizens Assembly Meeting, Istanbul, Turkey.
- 2015 “Capitalism, Islam and the Gülen Movement” International Conference of Transnational Religious Movements, Dialogue and Development, University of Turin, Turin, Italy
- 2015 “Civil Society, Peace Building and Beyond in Bosnia and Herzegovina” Coventry and Kadir Has University, International Human Security Conference, Kadir Has University, Istanbul, Turkey
- 2015 “Archaism or Useful Glue: Turkey’s Religion Policy in the Balkans during the EU Process” Marmara University European Union Institute Graduate Student Conference, Istanbul, Turkey
- 2015 “Conservatisms and Islamism: The Situations of women in Turkey during the AKP Period” 12th SEA International Scientific Meeting, Mahidol University, Bangkok, Thailand
- 2015 “Turkey’s Religion Policy with Intervention of Diyanet in the Balkan Peninsula”, International Congress on Turkey and The Balkans, International University of Sarajevo, Bosnia and Herzegovina
- 2014 “Conflict Between AKP and the Gülen Movement” Italian Political Science International Conference, Perugia, Italy
- 2014 “The Paradoxical Methodology of State and Religion Relations in Turkey” Barcelona University Graduate Students Conference, Spain
- 2014 “Hegemony or an Archaic Imperialism: Neo-Ottomanism in the Balkan Peninsula, Istanbul Bilgi University Foreign Relations Conference, Turkey
- 2013 “The Failure of the AKP’s Total Transformation Project and the Gezi Protest” Berlin Humbolth University, Teaching the Crisis Conference, Germany
- 2012 “Davutoğlu as an Islamic Scholar and a Political Actor” International Political Science Association, World Congress on Political Science/IPSA, Madrid, Spain
- 2012 "Islam: An Alternative Way of Turkey” Islam and the non-Muslim Other: Doctrines, Attitudes, and Practices A summer school organised by Netherlands Institute for Higher Education, Institut Francais d’Etudes Anatoliennes, Netherlands Institute in Turkey, and Netherlands Interuniversity School for Islamic Studies, Istanbul, Turkey
- 2012 “Parallel Relations between Islam and Capitalism”, Dutch Embassy Annual Turkey Conference, Turkey
- 2011 “Neo-liberalism and the Religious Communities in Turkey” Turkish Centre for International Relations and Strategic Analysis Annual Conference, Turkey. “An analysis of declarations of the Turkish Prime Minister in relation with Foucault, Discourse, Power” Turkish Political Science Association Conference, Okan University, Turkey
- “An Alternative Political Economic Model in Turkey: The Gülen Movement” Conference on Crisis of Islamism, Sakarya University, Turkey
Dr A Erdi Ozturk
Lecturer in International Relations and Politics