In order to study on our study abroad programme:
- you should be enrolled as an undergraduate or postgraduate student in a non-UK university and have completed at least a year at undergraduate level or a semester at postgraduate level
- you should be in good academic standing, with a Grade Point Average of 2.7 or higher or a minimum C grade average or higher (for non-GPA grading systems)
- if you are a non-native speaker of English you should have an English language certificate such as IELTS 6.0 with at least 5.5 in each component or Cambridge Advanced or Cambridge Proficiency Certificate with grade C or above or an institutional test such as an Institutional TOEFL or those offered by DAAD. If you are taught in English for your degree then you do not have to provide further evidence of language ability.
To apply you'll need to complete the relevant application form and select the modules you would like to study.
Study abroad / Exchange / Erasmus Bachelor's programme
Study abroad / Exchange / Erasmus Master's programme
Submitting your application
Once you are ready to submit your application, you will need to attach the following to your form:
- a university academic transcript of grades
- a copy of your Bachelor's degree certificate (if applying for postgraduate study)
- a copy of your passport details page
- proof of English language ability (if not from a majority English-speaking country)
Your application will not be processed without all of the required documentation. Please make sure you write your date of birth in a UK format ie day/month/year (not month/day/year) and that your module choices include the module code and title. Please inform the Study Abroad Office if you change your address or email after sending us your application.
Autumn semester or full academic year: 15 August
Spring semester: 15 November
We will email you to confirm your application has been received. Once an admissions decision has been made, we will email you with the result of your application and programme information. Meanwhile, please take a look at our visa requirements and other pre-departure information.
Study abroad programme
Undergraduate: For students applying independently, the standard undergraduate fee is £6,072 per semester or £12,144 for one year.
Postgraduate: Dependent on course – fees are charged per module (typically £1,530 to £1,590 each). Please see the fees box on the individual course pages.
If your university has a study abroad partnership with London Metropolitan University, please contact your university's international office for details of costs.
British Universities Transnational Exchange is a membership organisation with an elected executive committee. Their mission is to promote British education internationally, to facilitate collaboration and regular exchange of information between their members, to develop expertise and to influence the future of international education.
BUTEX is pleased to announce that competitive scholarship applications for students studying abroad during academic year 2021/22 are now open, closing date 31 July 2021. The value of each scholarship is £500 and will be paid to the winners once they have arrived and registered at their host university.
To be eligible to apply students:
- Must have been offered a study abroad or exchange place.
- Their study abroad or exchange placement must be for the UK academic year 2021 / 2022 i.e. studies should fall between July 2021 and August 2022.
- The exchange place must be for either one semester or one year.
The scholarship is open to all undergraduate students who are affiliated to a BUTEX full member institution and includes students who are also applying for an Erasmus+ or Turing award.
Provisions of the award
Applicants are not permitted to submit more than one entry. Also remember to check that the study abroad placement is eligible for this award.
By entering the BUTEX scholarship competition applicants agree to the BUTEX Administrator contacting their BUTEX institution to confirm registration at the host institution. If awarded a scholarship, you agree to provide a photograph of yourself together with a short statement about the benefits of studying abroad. Please note, this may be used by BUTEX for future publicity. Winners will be notified by the end of October.
Only successful applicants will be notified. The decision of the BUTEX selection committee is final and BUTEX will not correspond with unsuccessful applicants.