Sandra Fernando is a lecturer in Computing with the School of Computing and Digital Media, with over 15 years of experience in the academic sector and software industry.
Sandra Fernando is a lecturer in Computing with the School of Computing and Digital Media. She has over 15 years of experience in the academic sector and software industry. The combination of academic knowledge and teaching experience were gained at Goldsmiths College, Greenwich University and Lewisham Southwark College.
MSc in Data Warehousing and Data Mining
BSc Honours in Information Technology
Diploma in Teaching in the Lifelong Learning Sector
Post Graduate Certificate in Vocational Subject Specialist Mentoring
Commended for being the most inspiring teacher in 2013/2014
Best Award for the Diploma in Teaching in the Lifelong Learning Sector (DTLLS)
- Advanced database systems and development
- Software engineering
- Work-related learning and work placement
Sandra's duties include module leadership, lectures, tutoring of courses, exam invigilation, assignment marking (assessment and feedback), and student guidance and support, work-related projects coordination, project supervision, active participation in subject area committees as well as University open days.
Sandra's current research is focused on development of computer -aided drawing techniques and technologies for blind students. Having previously taught blind students and developed assistive learning technologies, she now focuses on formally modelling the creative processes behind blind user’s computer navigation and graphics production. Sandra Fernando’s research is supported by a grant from the MACS (Microphthalmia, Anophthalmia and Coloboma Support) national charity, UK.
Her research interests include:
- big data and data analytics
- assistive technologies
- learning technologies
- J. Ohene-Djan and S. Fernando, Drawing for Blind Learners: Assistive Technology for Graphical Design, 2016 IEEE 16th International Conference on Advanced Learning Technologies (ICALT), Austin, TX, 2016, pp. 436-440. doi: 10.1109/ICALT, 2016
- Sandra Fernando, 2015, Blind drawing: investigation into screen location tracking for computer aided interactive drawing. SIGACCESS Access. Comput. 111 (July 2015), 6-9.
- James Francis Ohene-Djan, Sandra A. Fernando, (2018), Screen navigation system for visually impaired people, Journal of Enabling Technologies
- Fernando, S, Dr Ohene-Djan, J, An Empirical Evaluation of a Screen Navigation and Graphics Manipulation Technique for Blind and Visually impaired Individuals, waiting to be published on ACM Transactions on Accessible Computing (TACCESS)