Karen started at London Met in 2004 after 27 years at the University of East London where, in addition to leading the social work subject area, she had developed courses in International Social Work. These partly arose from experience in a large European network (Early Childhood Care and Education, 1985 - 2005) and in national and international committees mindful of the global nature of social work and promoting the internationalisation of professional education. She served as Editor in Chief of the journal, 'International Social Work' (2004-9) and continues with writing and editorial work. She has contributed to the development or establishment of social work education in a range of countries (e.g. Ethiopia, Lithuania, Nepal, Ukraine), most recently (11/18) serving on a panel reviewing doctoral programmes in Estonia.
Karen taught on a range of courses relevant to the development of professional knowledge (Social policy in relation to children and families) and skills (counselling; group work) and later taught Research for social work to undergraduates and developed research project workshops for Masters students. Her teaching on the International social work course related to global issues (poverty, migration, and disasters); comparative welfare; and international frameworks and guidelines (ethics). Her current work mainly comprises supervision and examination of doctoral theses and other activities which support research capacity building in the social work discipline and profession.
Karen has published a wide range of articles, chapters in books, research reports and books since 1973. Her most recent publications include:
- Lyons, K. (2018) 'Opportunities and challenges of a global profession: an international perspective' in Bartley, A. and Beddoe, L. (eds) Transnational Social Work: opportunities and challenges of a global profession, Bristol, Policy Press
- Lyons, K. and May-Chahal, C. (2017) Editorial: 'Glocal Social Work', European Journal of Social Work, 20(1), doi.10.1080/13691457.2017.1279253
- Hanna, S. and Lyons, K. (2016) 'London calling: the experience of international social work recruits working in London', British Journal of Social Work, https://doi.org/10.1093/bjsw/bcw027
- Iarskia- Smirnova, E. and Lyons, K. (2016) 'Social Work in FSU Countries: mapping the progress of the 'professional project'' European Journal of Social Work, http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/1369147.2016.1255926
- Lyons, K. Hokenstad, T. Pawar, M. Huegler, N. and Hall, N. (eds) (2012) The SAGE Handbook of International Social Work, London, Sage
Emeritus Professor (International Social Work)