Professor of Sociology
Oral history, pedagogies in higher education, racism. Attached to Centre for Life Writing and Oral History
- 2020 Gabriel, J. and Harding J. ‘Re-Imagining Islington: work memory place and emotion in a community oral history project’ Oral History Journal 43, Autumn
- 2018 Khan, A. and Gabriel, J. ‘Resisting the Binary Divide in Higher Education: The Role of Critical Pedagogy’ Journal for Critical Education Policy Studies Vol 16 no 1 April
- 2016 Gabriel, J. ‘National Front’ Entry for Wiley-Blackwell Encyclopedia of Race, Ethnicity and Nationalism. Ed. John Stone
- 'Writing Black Lives' Public launch of Centre for Life Writing and Oral History Khan, A, and Gabriel, J. (2020) ‘Pedagogy, Learner autonomy and student experience A case study using Oral History Methods’ Conference ‘Modern Research in Education Teaching and Learning, Paris.
- Gabriel J. and Harding J. (2019) ‘Lost Trades of Islington 1936-94: exploring the dynamics of memory, place and belonging’ Oral History Society Conference, Swansea Public Exhibitions of the project at London Metropolitan University, Drovers Community Centre and Islington History Service.
- Gabriel, J. (2018) Med- Health Conference ‘Best Practices in Public Health Management Studies’ Keynote Speaker ‘Ethical Dilemmas in Public Health’ Hammamet,
- Tunisia Khan, A. and Gabriel, J. (2016) Towards a pedagogy for social justice: the case of applied ethics’. Association of Learning in Higher Education Conference, Edinburgh
- Gabriel, J. (2015) ‘Research and Teaching in a Public University’. Keynote address at the University of Timisoara
John is an Editorial Board member Teaching in Higher Education (1996-present); Chair of Oral History Society (2017-present). Since 2014, John has worked as a consultant on a number of projects funded by the EU, British Council and World Bank in Central and Eastern Europe, the Maghreb, the Middle East, India and South East Asia on learning and teaching and higher education. He has presented conference papers, run workshops and assessed funding applications.