Professor of Applied Health Research, Centre for Primary Health and Social Care, in the School of Social Professions.
Professor Duncan Stewart
Duncan has a background in sociology with long standing research expertise in treatment approaches for people with drug and/or alcohol problems. He leads a portfolio of work on ageing, multimorbidity and alcohol consumption.
Duncan’s primary research interests are on the organisation and delivery of services for people for whom drug and/or alcohol use has impacted on their health and other aspects of their lives. This includes evaluation of existing interventions and the development and trialling of new ones. His current research focus is alcohol consumption among older people with multiple long term conditions. He has worked on a wide range of research projects including qualitative studies, systematic reviews, randomised controlled trials, cohort and epidemiological studies, and research to develop and evaluate research/clinical assessment instruments.
Module leader for Introduction to Epidemiology (Public Health MSc)
- Stewart, D., Whittlesea, C., Dhital, R., Newbould, L. & McCambridge, J. (2020). Community pharmacist led medication reviews in the UK: A scoping review of the Medicines Use Review and the New Medicines Service literatures. Research in Social and Administrative Pharmacy, 16(2), 111-122.
- Madden, M, Morris, S, Ogden, M, Lewis, D, Stewart, D, McCambridge, J. (2020). Producing co‐production: Reflections on the development of a complex intervention. Health Expectations, 00: 1– 11, doi.org/10.1111/hex.13046.
- Stewart, D. & McCambridge, J. (2019). Alcohol complicates multimorbidity in older adults. BMJ,365:l4304.
- Stewart, D., & McCambridge, J. (2019). Authors' reply to Rao. BMJ, 366, l5151
- Madden, M. T., Morris, S. L., Stewart, D., Atkin, K. M., Gough, B. & McCambridge, J. (2019). Conceptualising alcohol consumption in relation to long-term health conditions: exploring risk in interviewee accounts of drinking and taking medications. PLoS ONE, 14(11): e0224706.
- Stewart D, Han L, Doran T, McCambridge, J. (2017). Alcohol consumption and all-cause mortality: an analysis of general practice database records for patients with long-term conditions. Journal of Epidemiology & Community Health, 71, 729-735.
- Robson, D., Spaducci, G., McNeill, A., Stewart, D., Craig, T. J. K., Yates, M. & Szatkowski, L. (2017). Effect of implementation of a smoke-free policy on physical violence in a psychiatric inpatient setting: an interrupted time series analysis. Lancet Psychiatry, 4, 540-546