Exhibition of student work and street party event at The Cass as part of London Design Festival 2017.
From 18 – 23 September, as part of London Design Festival 2017, The Cass presents Making Matters, an exhibition exploring the process of designing and making. On display will be pieces by twenty graduates and alumni from The Cass design studios, each with an emphasis on social engagement. Disciplines include fashion & textiles, furniture, interiors, architecture, jewellery, product and visual communications. Expect bold innovation, careful craft and material adventures at Making Matters which will launch with a Private View on the 18th from 6pm.
The graduates and alumni exhibiting in Making Matters are:
Furniture and Product Courses (FDA and BA)
- Jo Baker – Cast concrete forms
- Lara Chamandi – Foam stools
- Sam Flynn – Screen
- Freddie Keen – Caterpillar stool and desk
- Scott Kelly – Grit blast table
- Nick Marschner – Shelf
- Ella Merriman – Bags
- Max Randall – Red frame coat stand
- Diggory Rush – Bench
- Peter Stovin – Wooden bench
- James Whittam – Screen
- Carluccio Pasta Project by Harvest Studio – Furniture and product
- Tim Summers – Suber containers, cork
- Ray Brown – Ceramic cups
- Rachel Buckley – Models and monitor
Jewellery and Silversmithing BA
- Susanna Gogarty – Folded forms
- Maria Gower – Scent pendants
- Callum Partridge – Copper and white metal vessels
Textile Design BA
- Yasmin Afif – Cast spheres
- Iraide Gerai – Felt forms
- Abbie Malthouse – Drawings
- Miranda Tongeman – Enamel forms
- Carolina Torres – Storytelling dolls
On 20 September, also as part of London Design Festival, The Cass are holding a day of textile design workshops, leading up to a large street party to celebrate The Cass Design School’s new space at Old Castle Street. The day-long event, Awash with Ideas, will explore dyeing linen with natural dyes using Shibori techniques. In a series of four 90-minute workshops participants will be able to create their own Shibori patterns, which will then be exhibited at The Cass. Design work from this year’s Summer Show will also be on display. Workshops are free but registration is essential.
Making Matters and Awash with Ideas are just two of a number of events held by The Cass this September. Read more about events at The Cass.