London Met's Big Idea Challenge is back for 2020!
Date: 09 January 2020
Got an idea? A Big Idea? A “change the world” kind of idea? Then London Met’s Big Idea Challenge is for you.
Prizes are available in three categories - Commercial, Creative, and Social Impact – and the competition is open to people from every part of the University, and every kind of idea.
So, whether it’s an innovative mobile app, a new medical service, an artists' collective, a podcast series, an online marketplace, or a national dance club (all past finalists), we want to hear about your idea and how it solves real problems, wows customers or makes a difference in the world.
Who is the Big Idea Challenge for?
It’s for students, graduates and staff. The Big Idea Challenge is open to all types of ideas from all types of students. You could be a creative designer with an incredible new product, a business student who’s on to the next big thing, a scientist working on a research project that could help society, or something else altogether. Ideas can come from anywhere, and we want to hear yours.
The only requirement is that you’re a registered full or part-time London Met student, or an alumnus who has graduated since 2017.
In 2015 we opened the Big Idea Challenge up to staff for the first time, and it was such a success, we’ve been doing it ever since! You won’t be competing with students or alumni, but head-to-head with other staff in your own special category.
It’s for teams, too
Teams of up to four people can enter the Big Idea Challenge, as well as individuals. Not every member of a team needs to be from London Met – as long as the majority of you are, you’re good to go.
What are the benefits of participating?
For a start, the total prize pool is worth more than £30,000.
In addition to cash prizes to invest in your idea or enterprise, the best ideas will be offered a place on Accelerator’s prestigious Summer Launchpad programme. This includes hot desking space in our Shoreditch offices, along with the training and support needed to help make your idea a reality.
On top of that, there are a number of other benefits from entering the competition. You will:
- Meet and develop connections with other creative, visionary and entrepreneurial students and graduates
- Learn new skills in idea development, opportunity shaping and public speaking, which can improve employability
- Receive valuable feedback on your ideas and how to progress them
- Explore the possibility of creating your own job and "being your own boss"
- Enhance your Higher Education Achievement Report
- Learn about the support available to entrepreneurs in London today
- Meet experienced professionals in the different idea categories and broaden your network, and
- Create publicity for your idea or venture.
The deadline for applications will close at midnight on Sunday 23 February.