Dr Katrin Bain is a qualified social pedagogue and registered social worker with a PhD in Applied Social Studies from the University of Warwick. She is a senior lecturer in social work and the academic lead for the BeSpoke group.
She previously worked at Royal Holloway University and Coventry University as an associate lecturer where she taught on social pedagogy, evidence informed practice, study skills, research methods and supervised master's and PhD students.
Before moving into academia, Katrin worked in Germany and England in the children and families social work sector, including youth work and training.
Katrin currently teaches safeguarding, effective social work practice and communication, skills and values on our Social Work BSc.
Her research interests include:
- social pedagogy in England
- the relationship between state organised and provided social services with citizens and service users
- the representation of parents within social policy and social work practice.
She has a strong interest in teaching research and study skills and integrates these into each module. She has also taught a module on Social and Critical Pedagogy: International Perspectives.
1. Research Project: New Public Management, Citizenship and Social Work: Children’s Services in England Revisited, April 2018 to March 2021
- Replication study of my PhD
- Examines how parents who are involved with children’s services are perceived in policy documents, organisational procedures and through social workers
- Qualitative content analysis of policy documents and legislation
- Expert interviews with social workers
- Replication study wants to explore if and how social work has changed in the last 15 years
2. Research project with Professor Tony Evans (RHUL): The Internationalisation of Social Work: The migration of German social work practitioners and ideas to England. Presentation at JSWEC 2014 and published in the BJSW, April 2012 to December 2013
3. New Public Management, Citizenship and Social Work: Children’s Services in Germany and England (part-time PhD), September 2003 to November 2008
- A detailed analysis of public policy, organisational procedures and social work practice in children’s services in England and Germany
- Developed a citizenship typology mapping different assumptions about parents in contact with social services
- Contextualised the results in the history, structure and professional heritage of each country
- Contributor to Harris, J., White, V., (2018) A Dictionary of Social Work and Social Care (2nd Edition). Oxford University Press.
- Bain, K., Evans, T., (2017) Europeanisation and English Social Work: The Migration of German Social Work Practitioners and Ideas to England. British Journal of Social Work. doi: 10.1093/bjsw/bcw144.
- Wagner, T., Bain, K., Schaarschuch, A., (2011) Zur politischen Produktivität das Citizenship in der Sozialen Arbeit. Adressatenkonzeptein der Sozialen Arbeit zwischen Staatsbürgerqualifikationsarbeit und Entbürgerlichung in: Kommission Sozialpädagogik (Hrsg.) Bildung des Effective Citizen Sozialpädagogik auf dem Weg zu einem neuen Sozialentwurf. Juventa. pp115-126.
- Bain, K., (2009) Modernising children's services: partnership and participation in policy and practice in: Harris, J. and White, V. (Eds). Modernising Social Work. Policy Press, pp89-106,
- Bain, K., (2009) Parental Responsibility in: Social Work and Society, Vol 7, No1, pp138 - 141.
- Lapierre, S., Bain, K., (2008) Parental Responsibility and Partnership: Citizenship and Gender in British Children and Families Social Services in: Oleksy, E., Petö, A., Waaldijk, B., (Eds) Gender and Citizenship in a Multicultural Context. Peter Lang, pp77-92.
- Board member of the International Journal of Social Pedagogy
- Member of the Social Pedagogy Reading Group and Social Pedagogy Development Network
Dr Katrin Bain
Senior Lecturer in Social Work