Jianghong is a lecturer in economics and finance and course leader for the Banking and Finance (BSc) and Economics and Finance (BSc) undergraduate programmes at the Guildhall School of Business and Law.
More about Dr. Jianghong Liu
Jianghong holds an International Business (MLitt) degree from the School of Management at the University of St Andrews, as well as a PhD in Finance at the International Capital Market Association Centre of the University of Reading, where she was a faculty member.
Before stepping into her current position at London Metropolitan University in 2019, Jianghong worked as an associate lecturer in banking and finance at our Guildhall School of Business and Law and the Business School at London South Bank University.
Jianghong's teaching focuses on financial markets and financial institutions, problem solving, econometrics and financial modelling, empirical research or dissertation projects, international corporate finance and financial regulation and compliance.
Her research is primarily in the sphere of empirical finance and her research interests include:
- ethical banking
- sustainable finance
- operational risks in large financial institutions
- industry sector classification and index performance
- asset pricing
- global systemically important banks
- determinants of risk
- profitability in the banking industry
She is keen to build more insights into the development of industry classifications (particularly the accuracy of financial industry classifications) and the riskiness levels of financial institutions. With the development of financial innovations, the fast growth of the financial market, and new market demand, industry classification and riskiness of financial institutions are primarily unexplored. They often require constant research to address many contemporary issues. She is very enthusiastic about ethical banking and environmental, social, and governance issues in the banking sector.
Jianghong studies financial institutions by observing financial inclusion from five degrees of financial inclusivity. She aims to make contributions in the research field of responsible investment to promote the wellbeing of households and economic growth for the long run. She is keen to study in the area of global systemically important banks to the safety and soundness of the financial system.
Jianghong is a member of the following professional bodies:
- American Finance Association
- Centre for Responsible Banking and Finance at the University of St Andrews
- British Accounting and Finance Association
- Network for Sustainable Financial Markets
- SASB Symposium
- Responsible Investor
- Liu, J. (2012) ‘Social, Environmental and Trust issues in Business and Finance’ In Baker, H. K. and Nofsinger, J. (eds.) Socially Responsible Finance and Investing: 111-142. Hoboken: Wiley. [with Biehl, C. F. and Hoepner, A. G. F.]
- 2018 Fintech Conference, London.
- 2018 Symposium, 'Time for Transparency: Costs & Charges – Are We There Yet?' The Transparency Task Force, London.
- 2018 Henley Business School Doctoral Conference, University of Reading.
- 2018 Ethical Finance Conference, Edinburgh.
- 2017 SWIFT Business Forum London, Tobacco Dock, London.
- 2014 The 4th Emerging Scholars in Banking & Finance, Cass Business School, organised by the Banking Centre at Cass Business School and the BAFA Financial Markets and Institutions Special Interest Group.
- 2014 Scottish Doctoral Colloquium in Accounting and Finance, University of Stirling, organised by SGS Accounting and Finance Pathway.
- 2014 member of the organising committee: Baden-Wuerttemberg Cooperative State University (DHBW) Lecture Week for a yearly fixture in the DHBW master programme, organised by the Centre for Responsible Banking and Finance (RBF) at School of Management, University of St Andrews.
- 2013 member of the organising committee: ESG Finance Week 2013, organised by the Centre for Responsible Banking and Finance (RBF) and Responsible Investor at School of Management, University of St Andrews.
- 2012 Scottish Doctoral Training Centre Workshop in Quantitative Methods, organised by the Centre for Responsible Banking and Finance (RBF) at School of Management, University of St Andrews.
Dr Jianghong Liu
Lecturer in Economics and Finance