Are UCAS applications challenging for non-UK students?

Applying for a degree in the UK can be an intimidating process for EU and international students, especially when you’re not familiar with the application process. But don’t worry, we’re here to support you through this crucial journey. 

What is UCAS? 

UCAS is the Universities and Colleges Admissions Service. It lists university courses on its website and operates and application portal used by the majority of students applying for undergraduate courses in the UK.

Who applies through UCAS? 

At London Met, all students from the UK and the EU applying for a full-time course starting in September apply via UCAS (unless the course page specifies otherwise).

Non-EU applicants for full-time study may choose to apply via UCAS or apply direct to the University.

Students applying for part-time study, to start a course in January or for a postgraduate course should apply directly to the University.

Read the course page of your chosen course carefully to ensure you are applying in the correct way, as there are some exceptions (applications for PGCE courses, for example, which are postgraduate courses but processed through UCAS Teacher Training).

Why do non-UK students use UCAS?

UCAS makes the applying for university simple. UCAS will give you tips to make a successful application and allow you to apply to different courses at the same time. You’ll be able to follow the progress of your application, receive notifications and reply to offers you get.  

How do I find courses in the UK? 

Sometimes looking for a course at university is an arduous process. The quantity on offer can be overwhelming, making this process tiring and confusing. Using the UCAS course search tool can make this journey simpler. You will find summary information about different courses in the UK, entry requirements, how to apply and fees. Once you’ve found a course you’re interested in at a university you like the sound of, make sure you visit the course page on the university website as it is likely to have much more detailed information (you can find information about courses at London Met here).

What about visas and English language tests?

Many international students will need to prove their English skills and in some cases they will need a visa to study in the UK. In these cases UCAS is a very useful tool to find all the information you need to apply for a visa or to get an English language test. If you have any concerns about your application don’t hesitate to contact London Met’s international student advisers.

What’s different about UCAS for non-UK students?

To apply to university through UCAS you will follow the same process as UK students. When you accept a place, the university will send you information about processes around visas and English language tests if you need them. You can visit the London Met international admissions web page where you will find all the information you need if you’re thinking of applying to us.

Every year, London Metropolitan University helps hundreds of students find places on full-time undergraduate degrees. You can start a course at London Met in September, but many are also available to start in January. Take a look at our full list of undergraduate courses or contact our course enquiries team for more information.

Student holding a heart with a question mark in it

Written by Miguel Ferrer Gil. Miguel is a marketing officer at the University and Fine Art graduate from London Met. At the time of writing he was working as an intern in the marketing department as part of the University's graduate internship programme.

Get in touch

Call us 
Live chat
Send us a message
Request a call