Professor David McCarthy
Professor David McCarthy
Professor David McCarthy is a Professor of Nutrition and Health in the School of Human Sciences.
- Development of references for body composition in UK children
- Children's body fatness in regional and ethnic subgroups in the UK
- Markers of upper body fatness in children
- Application of air displacement plethysmography in body composition measurement
- Energy expenditure in obese children
- Use of bioelectrical impedance for assessing upper body fatness
- Body composition and risk factors for Type 2 diabetes in children
- Metabolic characteristics of the high-fat phenotype
- Omega-3 fatty acids in multiple sclerosis
- Pliakas T, McCarthy HD (2010) Association of leg length with overweight and obesity in children aged 5-15 years: A cross-sectional study. Annals of Human Biology 37:10-22.
- McCarthy HD and Ashwell M (2006) A study of central fatness using waist-to-height ratios in UK children and adolescents over two decades supports the simple message - 'keep your waist circumference to less than half your height'. Int J Obesity, 30: 988-992.
- McCarthy HD, Cole TJ, Fry T, Jebb SA and Prentice AM (2006) Body fat reference curves for children, Int J Obesity, 30: 598-602.
- McCarthy HD, Jarrett KV, Emmett PM, Rogers I (2005) Trends in waist circumferences in young British children: a comparative study. Int J Obesity, 29: 157-162.
- Collins AL, McCarthy HD et al (2004) Inter-laboratory variation in body composition measurement by air displacement plethysmography. Int J Obesity 28:80-90.
- McCarthy HD & Pickard CL (2003) Reversal of the hypertension of fetal origin by post-natal dietary manipulation. (Brit J Nutr, submitted).
- McCarthy HD, Ellis SM & Cole TJ (2003) Waist circumference in British children aged 11-16 years 1977-1997: dramatic increases in central overweight and obesity. Brit Med J. 326:624-628.
- Collins AL & McCarthy HD (2003) Evaluation of factors determining the precision of body composition measurements by air displacement plethysmography. Eur J Clin Nutr . 57:770-776.
- McCarthy HD & Ashwell M (2003) Waist:height ratios in British children aged 11-16 years over a two decade period. Proc Nutr Soc 62:46A.
- Doyle L & McCarthy HD (2003) Upper and lower body dimensions and proportions of children classified as overweight or obese by the body mass index. Proc Nutr Soc 62:46A.
- McCarthy HD & Ashwell M (2002) Waist:height ratios in British children - a simple public health message. Proc Nutr Soc 61:116A.
- Jarret KV, McCarthy HD et al (2002) Tracking of waist circumference and body mass index in young British children. Proc Nutr Soc 61:141A.
- Collins AL & McCarthy HD (2002) Body composition and resting energy expenditure in a small group of young professional footballers. Proc Nutr Soc 61:54A.
- McCarthy HD, Crawley HF & Jarrett KV (2001) Development of waist circumference percentiles in British children aged 5.0-16.0 years. Eur J Clin Nutr 55:902-907.
- Ellis SM, & McCarthy HD (2001) Increasing waist circumferences in British children aged 11-16 years: further evidence for a greater prevalence of childhood overweight and obesity. Proc Nutr Soc, 60:211A.
- Collins AL and McCarthy HD (2001) Factors influencing body composition measurement using air displacement plethysmography: is body surface an issue? Proc Nutr Soc 60:195A.
- Collins AL and McCarthy HD (2001) Accuracy, reliability and linearity of air displacement plethysmography in body composition research. Proc Nutr Soc 60:132A.
- Jarrett KV and McCarthy HD (2001) Waist circumference measurement as a clinical screening tool for obesity risk in children. J Hum Nutr Diet.