Preeti Patel is currently the Head of Computer Science and Applied Computing. Her previous roles include Academic Leader for Applied Computing and Faculty-wide Academic Leader for Postgraduate Recruitment and Marketing.
Prior to entering the Higher Education sector, Preeti worked within the IT industry for organisations including British Telecom, The Wellcome Foundation and General Electric Information Services.
Preeti has a keen interest in international education and has been previously involved with the NCC global programmes for a number of years and continues to work with international partners. Preeti has been an External Advisor at The Open University and an External Examiner at Coventry and Greenwich universities.
Membership of professional institutions
- Senior Fellow of Higher Education Academy
- Member of British Computer Society
- Associate Member of Chartered Management Institute
Preeti Patel teaches on both undergraduate and postgraduate database modules which comprise Oracle professional certification. Her current research interests include graduate competence and employability, assessment feedback methods, learning-related issues for database environments and enhancement of student engagement.
- PhD – Machine Learning [current]
- PhD – Knowledge Management Systems
- PhD – Component-Based Software Development
- Undergraduate and postgraduate dissertations
Publications and presentations since 2011
- D Palmer-Brown, FF Cai, P Patel (2017), “An Optimised Competency Framework to Prepare Students for Employment”, 11th International Technology, Education and Development Conference, Spain. INTED Proceedings, pp.5399-5410. dx.doi.org/10.21125/inted.2017.1260
- D Palmer-Brown, FF Cai, P Patel (2016), “Classifying and Evaluating Assessment Feedback Practices”, 9th International Conference of Education, Research and Innovation, ICERI Proceedings, pp.6495-6506. dx.doi.org/10.21125/iceri.2016.0483
- D Palmer-Brown, FF Cai, P Patel, (2016), “Competency-based Feedback for the Improvement of Employment Outcomes for Computing Students”, International Conference on Computational Science and Computational Intelligence, Las Vegas. IEEE Conference Publication, pp252-257. dx.doi.org/10.1109/CSCI.2016.0056
- D Palmer-Brown, FF Cai, P Patel, (2015), “Learning from Feedback on Work-Related Learning: Skills Acquisition and Reality Check”, Conference on Higher Education Advances HEAd’15, Valencia University, Spain. dx.doi.org/10.4995/HEAd15.2015.330
- P Patel, (2015), “Graduates’ Feedback on their Work-Related Learning Experience”, 12th Annual Conference, Association of Learning Development in Higher Education (ALDinHE), www.aldinhe.ac.uk/solent15.htm
- G A Thomas, F Marir, R Mikusauskas, P Patel: “A Framework for Designing Knowledge Management Systems: Aggregating the Existing Approaches”, eKNOW 2013, The Fifth International Conference on Information, Process and Knowledge Management, pp 8-15, 2013.
- Patel P, Jing Y, “The Impact of Dissertations for Employability: A Case Study of Student Profiles”, HEA Graduate Impact Publication, 2011.
- Yu Q, Patel P, “Teaching Oracle Data Miner using Virtual Machine”, Teaching, Learning and Assessment of Databases Conference, July 2011.
- Jing Y, Patel, P, Chalk P, (2011), Facilitating the Impact of Graduates on Student Employability, ITALICS Volume 10 Issue 2 June 2011 – ISSN: 1473-7507.
Room: T10-01c Tower Building
Telephone: +44 (0)20 7133 3689
Availability: Wednesdays 1pm - 2pm in Room T10-01c