Study Abroad programme

Study Abroad

The Study Abroad programme at London Met is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to spend part of your degree living in London, one of the most cosmopolitan cities in the world.

Join us for an unforgettable semester or year of full immersion and integration into a new culture whilst gaining academic credits towards your degree at your home institution. London Metropolitan University is one of the largest universities in London with around 15,000 students and some 2,000 staff over both campuses and offers you an exciting and vibrant experience as a study abroad student.

"My semester at London Met was an experience I will never forget. I found the people in the city and the University couldn't be more friendly and helpful. And being in London was amazing". 
Cassandra Clark (Carthage College, Wisconsin)

The Study Abroad programme is coordinated by the International Programmes Office. We have been running the Study Abroad Programme in conjunction with the State University of New York at Cortland for 25 years and we have many other partner institutions. The University is validated by the Middle States Association Commission on Higher Education and we have supported students from the United States of America, Brazil, Mexico, Norway, Switzerland, Russia, Turkey and many other countries, in embarking on the Study Abroad programme.


          Why study abroad at London Met?

  •  Take classes alongside students from all over the world.
  • Gain first hand experience of the British educational system.
  • Choose modules from a flexible curriculum - combine subjects areas and choose modules (classes) from within and outside your subject area.
  • Take four 15 credit modules per semester, transferrable as a total of 12 US credits or 30 ECTS (European Credit Transfer System.)
  • Participate in a tailored induction for study abroad students before formal teaching begins. Induction includes enrolment, orientation and a tour of London.
  • Integrate fully into the academic and social life of London Metropolitan University.
  • Join clubs for all social activities and use our wide range of fitness, sport and recreation facilities.
  • Have fun and make new friends!

Contact us

Whatever your query, please feel free to contact us. We are here to support you along every step of the study abroad experience, from applicant to alumnus.

International Programmes Office 
London Metropolitan University 
166-220 Holloway Road 
London N7 8DB 


How to Apply


Study Abroad Partnerships

If your university has a Study Abroad partnership with London Metropolitan University please contact your university's International Office for details of costs.

Students applying independently

For students applying independently, the standard overseas undergraduate fee for 2015/16 is:

One semester : £5,250
Two semesters : £10,500

Postgraduate fees

Postgraduate fees depend on which Master's degree you wish to follow for one semester. Please email with your area of interest. You must meet the standard course requirements. 


You should:

  • be enrolled as an undergraduate or postgraduate student at a recognised university or college
  • be in at least your second year of study (or completed at least one semester of postgraduate study)
  • have good academic standing: GPA 2.7 (from 4.0) USA or minimum C grade average


Non-native English speakers should have one of the following Secure Tests of English Language (SELT):

If English is not your first language but you have achieved consistently high grades in English taught courses at university, it may not be necessary to have an additional English qualification. However, if you require a visa to enter the UK then you will need to take an English test from one of the providers above which are approved by the Home Office.


Application packet

(Please note that this is for non-EU applicants. If you are from the EU and want to apply please see Study in London)

Complete either an Undergraduate Application Form or Postgraduate Application Form and the ‌Module Registration Form and send with:

  • University academic transcript  (Include Bachelor certificate if applying for postgraduate level)
  • Copy of your passport details page
  • 2 x colour passport photos
  • Proof of English language ability (if applicable)


International Programmes Office
London Metropolitan University
166-220 Holloway Road
London N7 8DB

Your application will not be processed without all of the required documentation, including the (signed by an advisor) Module Form and academic reference.  Please make sure you write your date of birth correctly - day/month/year NOT month/day/year


Autumn semester or whole academic year: 15 June
Spring semester: 15 November

What next?

We will email to confirm your application has been received. Once an admissions decision has been made, we will email you with the result of your application and programme information.

Meanwhile, please take a look at visa requirements and other pre-departure information. 


Visa requirements

New visa regulations for international students came into effect on 31 March 2009 and 31 March 2010, so it is important that you read the guidance notes carefully and decide whether you wish/need to apply for a full Adult Student Visa or come as a Student Visitor.

Do you need a visa?

- All Study Abroad students will require either a Tier 4 visa or Student Visitor status unless an EU passport is held
- Having Student Visitor status may require Prior Entry Clearance
- One semester students not working at an internship organised by LondonMet will not receive a Tier 4 visa

A Tier 4 visa will be required for students:

- studying for a whole academic year
- partaking in an internship if staying for one semester (arranged by LondonMet only)

A Visitor letter will be required for students:

- studying for one semester and not participating in a LondonMet organised internship

Prior Entry Clearance will be required for students:

- taking the Student Visitor route (not Tier 4) from a country on the Visa National List

All the following information is for non EU/EEA passport holders.

Use the pages from the UK Home Office to find out whether you need to apply for a visa before you come to study in the UK. To check if you are a 'visa national' please see the Appendix to the Immigration Rules, linked above.

Note that:

All non EU/EEA students who participate in an internship organised by LondonMet will require a Tier 4 student visa.

All non EU/EEA students staying longer than 6 months will require a Tier 4 student visa. 

All students holding a passport from a Visa National country will require a Tier 4 student visa (if staying for more than 6 months) or a Visitor letter along with Prior Entry Clearance from the Home Office (if staying less than 6 months).

It is your responsibility to ensure that you apply in good time for a visa, if necessary. 

Our role as your sponsor

Under the Points Based System, students who come to the UK to study must be sponsored by a specific educational institution. This means that the university that you study with must monitor your attendance and progress, and report students who fail to attend classes to the Home Office. Under the Points Based System, universities are known as 'Tier 4 Sponsors'. 
Read more about our role as your sponsor

CAS numbers and student visitor letters

The International Programmes Office (IPO) will issue a CAS to apply for a Tier 4 visa to:

- all non EU/EEA students who hold an unconditional offer for a full year programme 
- all non EU/EEA students who hold an unconditional offer for one semester and will participate in an internship

The International Programmes Office (IPO) will issue a Visitor letter to:

- all non EU/EEA students who hold an unconditional offer for one semester of study
- all students who hold a passport from a country on the Visa National List studying for one semester (Prior Entry Clearance will be required)

Applying for a Tier 4 Student visa from overseas

The Points Based System requires students to score 40 points in order to be successful in getting a visa to study in the UK.

To be granted a visa you will need to:

- have a 'Confirmation of Acceptance of Studies' (CAS) number. The CAS is an electronic reference number and will be issued by London Metropolitan University (worth 30 points) and
- meet the maintenance requirement (worth 10 points)

Maintenance requirement

The maintenance requirement is evidence that you have sufficient funds to live in the UK (in addition to the cost of your tuition fees if applicable). This level is set at £1,020 per month in inner London (which includes both North and City campuses), up to a maximum of nine months. Please do check the Home Office website for the most up to date information.

The whole amount of money that you need to show for the maintenance requirement must remain in your bank account for 28 days before you make your visa application and must not go below the required amount at any time during the 28 days.

Please note!
If you cannot show the funds in your own bank account, the only other relatives you can use as a sponsor are your parents (unless you have an official financial sponsor, e.g. a government or an international organisation). If you want to use your parents' account you will need additional documents.

English language requirements

As of 6 April 2015 new Home Office rules apply regarding proof of English language ability for students applying for a Tier 4 visa who are not from a majority English speaking country.

We now are unable to issue a CAS (Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies) until an approved test has been taken by incoming students and a copy of the results sent to us (the original certificate must be kept for your visa application). The test must be run by one of the two providers on the approved list.

There are also new (higher) minimum requirements that must be met before a CAS can be issued. Rather than just meeting a certain overall level, there are now minimum requirements in the different components, speaking, reading, writing and listening, that must be met.

Further information on the new rules, approved testers and minimum requirements can be found on the Home Office website here.

If taking IELTS, you must achieve a minimum of 6.0 overall and at least 5.5 in each of of the four components of IELTS. If taking a Trinity College ISE II test you must achieve a B2 level in each component.

Please note that if you do not achieve the required level in ALL of the components then the test will not be valid for use in your visa application.


Where can you find out more about student visas and how to apply?

- Home Office website can be viewed here 
- London Metropolitan University Visa and Immigration Advice
UK Council for International Student Affairs website (also gives advice on other subjects concerning foreign students in the UK) 

If you have any questions, just email

Please note, all information provided in this website is done so in good faith, please do check Home Office websites for the most up to date information and regulations!

What can I study?

At London Met, we offer our Study Abroad students a diverse range of modules, on either a semester or year-long basis.  Please pay special attention to the semester and timeslots in which the modules are available.

Module lists for 2014-15 

Faculty of Business & Law modules

Faculty of Social Sciences & Humanities modules

The module lists for the 2015/16 academic year will be posted in April or May.


NB: 30 credits = full year module running early October to late May

       15 credits = semester module running in autumn or spring - if you are studying for one semester only then you must choose 15 credit modules

       N= North campus     C= City campus 

       AM - classes occuring between 9am and 1pm

       PM - classes occuring between 1pm and 6pm

       PM+ - classes occuring between 6pm and 9pm


We also offer Art & Theatre in London modules specifically for Study Abroad students which last for one semester:


Art in London (AH201)

Explore the rich heritage of Europe through the many Art Galleries and Museums that the city has to offer. With emphasis on experiencing the culture of London, you will be able to view first hand some of the key areas in visual art from da Vinci, to Van Gogh, to Picasso, as well as contemporary artists. With such a diverse range of art available within London, use this class as a vehicle in which to improve your knowledge of the ‘avant-garde’ and the relationship between ‘concept’ and ‘skill.’ See the Art in London course description to find out more about the course.

Theatre in London (TH201)

Allow yourself to be introduced to the breadth of theatre that London has available. View word class productions in the famous West End, watch Shakespeare be performed with precision at the Globe Theatre and experience smaller venues like the Donmar Warehouse which is dedicated to showcasing only new writing. Visit backstage at many of the well known production houses and through class discussion and practical workshops become acquainted with staging techniques, key practitioners and trends in different performance styles. See the Theatre in London course description to find out more.


Prerequisites and study levels

British university degree programmes are very specialised, with students choosing their major before starting university and usually taking three years to complete their degree. Modules taken in the first year are known as level 4 (4000), second year modules as level 5 (5000), and final year modules as level 6 (6000). By the time students reach their final year, they are very specialised in their field of study.

Our online course catalogues sometimes list prerequisites for particular modules. As far as possible students should have completed a similar course to that prerequisite at their home university in order to take such a module. However, if a prerequisite is not stated that does not mean that it is not required and the module is open to anyone. Second and third year classes assume that the first (and second if applicable) year has been spent studying that subject. Therefore, if you are looking at second and third year classes you must have had a fair amount of experience in that subject area.

When choosing your modules, please bear in mind  that American and Japanese universities generally recognise that their second year classes are the equivalent to modules taken in the first year of study in the UK. 



Syllabi can be viewed in the university-wide online module catalogue.

N.B. Not all classes listed in the university-wide catalogue are available to Study Abroad students. You should check availability using the summary lists above.

Teaching semester: gives an indication in which semester the class will run (Autumn/Spring/Year) It is not guaranteed that a module will be running in the current academic year. 

Module Level: please read prerequisites and study levels

Timeslot: The lists above show which timeslot and campus the class runs at. If more than one timeslot is offered, select the one that works best for you. You cannot take two classes in the same timeslot as they would clash.


What are modules?

A module is a class which is one small part of a degree course.  Full time undergraduate students at London Metropolitan University take 4 modules each semester.

Semester modules are worth 15 London Met credits = 3 US credit hours = 7.5 ECTS credits

Year modules are worth 30 London Met credits = 6 US credit hours = 15 ECTS credits

Are there any module restrictions?

If your home university agrees credit transfer and you meet the pre-requisites for a module, then you can take most modules which are on offer to undergraduate students. However, there are some which are:

  • Only available to full year students
  • Off limits

These are classes which are based around placements or are part of an accredited degree and are therefore not open to Study Abroad students such as Architecture, Early Years Teaching and Social Work.

Postgraduate classes are not available to undergraduate students.  Module code will be **7*** (e.g. EC7015)

Foundation classes are not available. Module code will be ***X** or ***F**

  • Require approval

These are classes which we may be able to place you in if you major or minor in this area but we need to seek departmental approval on a case by case basis. 

Art and Design
Practical multimedia classes
Life Sciences and Computing

  • Very difficult

Study Abroad students have struggled in this past with our Accounting, Law and Business Law classes as there is a significant emphasis on English Law. If you are interested in taking classes in these areas then please email us for advice. 

Internships and volunteering

All students intending to do an internship or to volunteer must have a Tier 4 PBS visa. See the Visa section for more information.


The Career Development and Employment Service coordinates internship placements for Study Abroad students.  Please note that there is a fee for this service - currently £700.

We usually expect students to count the internship as one of their 4 modules of study, as most students are working towards internship credit at their home university.

Students are expected to complete 1 day each week at the internship site and undertaking this as a 5th module is a heavy workload.

The Careers Officer spends a lot of time searching for a suitable placement for applicants so please be very sure you want to do an internship before making your application. It is very frustrating when students pull out after a placement has been found. Please also be realistic in your expectations. It is almost impossible to secure an internship at organisations such as the BBC, Cosmopolitan magazine, Sony records, etc.

Go to internship website

The deadlines for internship applications are 
Autumn: 01 June 
Spring: 15 October 


Reach (part of the Student Services Careers section) provides activities for staff and students that include voluntary work, career mentoring, peer support and skills training.

Volunteering can be a great way to get involved in the local community, develop your personal skills and simply have fun.  You can volunteer only if you have a Tier 4 visa.

Go to Reach website

Jobs and Career Development

Student Services' Careers team can help you with everything from updating your CV, to finding a job in London, to planning your future career and how to make the most of your study abroad experience.  You can work only if you have a Tier 4 visa.

Go to Careers website

Programme dates

If you are only staying for the autumn semester, you may be able to complete an alternative assessment instead of taking exams which occur in the third week of January.

If you are staying for a whole year or you are a European student, it is mandatory for you to complete the exams during the exam period in January. Spring semester students take exams in May. You should not plan to leave until you know your exam schedule which is usually released three weeks before the examination period.


Autumn semester 2014/15

Arrival: By 22 September 2014
Orientation: 23 - 26 September 2014
Classes begin: 29 September 2014
Christmas break: 20 December 2014 - 04 January 2015 
Teaching/revision:  5 - 16 January 2015
Examinations: 19 - 23 January 2015

Spring Semester 2014/15

Arrival: By 19 January 2015
20 - 23 January 2015
Classes begin:
 26 January 2015
Easter break:
 28 March - 12 April 2015 
Classes end:
 22 May 2015
 11 - 29 May 2015


Autumn semester 2015/16

Arrival: By 21 September 2015
Orientation: 22 - 25 September 2015
Classes begin: 28 September 2015
Christmas break: 19 December 2015 - 10 January 2016
Teaching/revision: 11 - 15 January 2016
Examinations: 18 - 29 January 2016

Spring semester 2015/16

Arrival: By 25 January 2016
Orientation: 26 - 29 January 2016
Classes begin: 1 February 2016
Easter break: 19 March - 3 April 2016
Examinations: 9 - 27 May 2016


We have two recommended accommodation providers for semester students taking part in the Study Abroad Programme.

Option 1: Nido Student Living, King's Cross 
200 Pentonville Road, Islington, London N1 9JP

Option 2: Acorn Accommodation, Russell Square
Ground Floor, 19 Bedford Place, London WC1B 5JA


Alternatively, you can search for accommodation through the University's Accommodation Bureau.


Nido Student Living - Kings Cross

The International Programmes Office has a limited number of twin rooms available for one semester Study Abroad students.

Specifically designed for students in mind, this modern facility is equipped with 24 hour security, games room, miniature cinema, cafe and a fitness centre. With wooden floors throughout, skylights, multi-function desks, central location and en suite bathrooms it is an excellent venue in which to study for your semester abroad.

Twin Rooms are equipped with a kettle and microwave in each room, and share a communal kitchen with 15 people, where everyone has a lockable cupboard and individual fridge space.

Nido is a non-smoking facility.


Semester costs and application

The cost includes the price of the linen pack (sheets, pillows, and comforters) and dish pack (cutlery, dishes, pots, pans, etc)

Rooms have two (twin) beds, wardrobe, work desk, en suite shower and toilet.

Autumn 2014/15

Twin room: £3020 per person

Spring 2014/15

Twin room: £4414 per person



Your accommodation fees will be due two weeks before your check-in date. If you choose to withdraw 0 - 2 weeks before check-in, no refund will be given.

If you are paying your accommodation fees through one of our partner institutions, please check with your programme provider for its payment procedure.



For an application form, please contact the International Programmes Office:




Acorn Accommodation

Centrally located within zone 1, Acorn is an easy journey to both LondonMet campuses. 

From a two person studio to a multi level apartment for eight, Acorn offers all the comforts of home including: fully equipped kitchens, quality furnishings, laundry facilities, a TV and a phone line. 

Acorn offer the opportunity to live in the academic heart of London, Bloomsbury or in trendy Clerkenwell.  Acorn's apartments are bright, spacious, shared occupancy flats with a choice of single or twin bedrooms at competitive prices for these locations, with no hidden extra costs. Being located within close proximity of the British Museum, Covent Garden, Oxford Street and Theatreland and with many attractive and historic park squares in the area, these apartments are an ideal base for students looking to live in Central London whilst studying here.

Room types include single rooms, twin rooms (some with ensuite private bathroom) and there are also a small number of private self-contained studio flats. For 2014/15 prices start from £235 per week for a place in a shared room and £275 per week for a single room, in our Burton Street apartments, subject to availability. The prices are inclusive of bed linen, towels, cooking utensils, crockery and cutlery, all bills and wireless internet access.

Acorn offers a range of properties. This is an excellent choice for students who wish to live in a small group. For more information please visit the Acorn website.


Contact Information: 

Elizabeth Bowey
Acorn of London Ltd
Ground Floor
19 Bedford Place
London WC1B 5JA

Tel: +44 207 636 8325 (Choose option 4 when calling)


Acceptance, arrival and enrolment

Once you have been accepted onto the Study Abroad programme, you will receive the following:


  1. An email confirming that you have been accepted onto the programme, and what you should do next

  2. An Unconditional Offer letter, together with invoice and payment information if applicable

  3. Result of your accommodation application, if any, together with invoice and payment information if applicable

  4. Immigration paperwork/email after you have confirmed your acceptance of your place 

  5. Joining instructions, shortly before the start of the course


Enrolment and Orientation

During Welcome Week there will be an enrolment session where you register with the university, supply your passport details and immigration status and receive your Student ID card. 

Date                                         To be confirmed                      
Time To be confirmed
Venue To be confirmed

There will then be various orientation sessions for all semester students where you will be provided with information about the services and facilities offered by the university and also general information about life in London, and guest speakers. This will be a good opportunity to meet other students. The first session takes place:

Date                                         To be confirmed                      
Time To be confirmed
Venue To be confirmed

We offer a half-day tour of London by coach and boat as part of our orientation and often, international student parties are arranged. Making the most of your orientation week will set you up for the rest of your stay in London so make sure you don't miss anything!


Returning home

If you completed a semester at London Metropolitan University as a Study Abroad student, you, or the organisation you came through, will automatically be issued two copies of your transcript with your grades converted from UK to US grades. 

Grades are not released until March for the autumn semester or July for the spring semester. Therefore, if you are due to graduate immediately after your semester abroad then you need to take this into consideration as your home university may not allow you to graduate until they have received the results from London Metropolitan University.

Your transcripts will be sent out once all grades are confirmed (not provisional) and all monies owed are accounted for (tuition, accommodation, library fines, etc.) If you have any outstanding debts then your transcript will not be sent to you until they are settled.

Additional Transcripts

Students who require additional transcripts when applying as a transfer student to another university or when applying to graduate school can request additional transcripts by following this process:

London Metropolitan University will issue an official transcript at a cost of £12.00 for one transcript and an additional £2.00 for each additional copy that you may require.

Payment must be received before the transcript request will be granted.  Please  download  our  Transcript Request Form and follow the instructions below:

  1. Make appropriate payment (see payment options below)

  2. Please contact and attach the transcript request form. Please include the complete address or addresses to which you wish to have London Metropolitan University send your transcripts. Please tell us the date and amount and method of the payment you made.

As soon as we receive confirmation of your payment we will send the transcripts out by normal post.

Payment Options

Pay using epay - (you will need your ID number), select tuition and pay the appropriate amount.  Please send us the email receipt that you get.


Credit Card Payment  

Telephone: + 44 207 320 4965 between 9.30 am and 5 pm UK time.  Please state how many transcripts you wish to request from the International Programmes Office and pay the correct amount.

Please give your name and indicate that you were a single semester Study Abroad student, stating the dates you attended London Metropolitan University and quote the reference SRM18S 0209 U0024


If you have any questions please contact us via email.

Frequently asked questions

Any questions before you embark on your exciting study abroad experience?

We have tried to answer as many of your Frequently Asked Questions as possible.

Please follow the links below and let us know if you have any outstanding queries!

  1. Do I need a visa?
  2. How much are living costs?
  3. How should I carry money?
  4. Can I open a bank account?
  5. Is London safe?
  6. Do I need insurance?
  7. Do I need to pay for medical care?
  8. If I get sick, who can I talk to for advice and where can I buy medicine?
  9. What is public transport like in London?
  10. How do I get a student travel card (Oyster)?
  11. What should I do about a mobile phone?
  12. Will electrical items from home work in the UK? Do I need a converter?
  13. What is the weather like, what clothes should I bring?
  14. Should I bring my own bedding and towels to the UK?
  15. Can I get help finding a job in London, volunteering opportunities or general careers advice?
  16. When will I get my course choices confirmed/get my timetable?
  17. Will I need to buy lots of books?
  18. What free stuff can I do in London?
  19. How can I get discounts?
  20. How do I get a council tax exemption certificate?
  21. If I leave the UK to travel, what paperwork do I need to return?
  22. What are the links to all the important University webtools, student services etc?
  23. I have lost my student ID card – what now?
  24. Where do I hand in my papers to be marked?
  25. Can I come into the office to ask a question?
  26. When will I get my results/transcripts? Can I get extra copies?


1. Do I need a visa?

Students who intend to stay longer than 6 months and those who are coming for less than 6 months but intend to work, volunteer or intern while studying are required to obtain a student visa before travelling to the UK.  Read our Visa section for more information.
[back to top]

2. How much are living costs?

Average weekly expenses excepting accommodation:

  • Food £40-£80.  You can eat very cheaply but the more you eat out, the more you’ll spend!
  • Travel (bus or tube pass) £8-£20
  • Personal (telephone, sport, entertainment, laundry) £75-£100. Again, it depends on you, if you’re going to gigs and football matches all the time, you’ll probably spend more!

Students say that they spend around £3,500-£4,500 (including accommodation) in a semester, but it varies a lot from person to person. London can be really cheap! There is a lot to see and do that’s absolutely free, see Timeout/London and Visit London for ideas. The costs start adding up when you want to travel a lot in Europe or go to lots of special events – the opportunities for fun are endless so it’s really up to you to work out your budget in advance and stick to it!
[back to top]

3. How should I carry money?

We don’t recommend travelling with a lot of cash. There are lots of cash machines that usually accept overseas credit and debit cards, check with your bank that your card will work overseas and be aware that you may be charged for using your card abroad.  You will need to know your PIN.  We recommend having one card for everyday use and one for emergencies.  Traveller’s cheques are also a good back up strategy and can be exchanged at banks, post offices and Bureaux de Change. 
[back to top]

4. Can I open a bank account?

It is not possible for students staying less than 6 months to open a UK bank account so only full year students can consider this. If you want to open an account you should visit a varity of banks and see what they require and what they can offer you. You will normally only need a basic bank account which allows you to withdraw money with a cash card but does not offer overdraft facilities or a cheque book.
[back to top]

    5. Is London safe?

    By international standards, Britain has low rates of street crime and violence but in any big city it’s worth taking a few simple safety precautions:

    • Plan your journey in advance when using public transport, particularly night buses. TFL travel tools are very useful.
    • If you are planning to stay out late, try to travel home with a friend. Keep a taxi number and your fare handy.
    • Avoid walking alone at night and keep to well lit main roads.
    • Only use black cabs or licensed mini cabs from a cab office, be CABWISE (see the TFL web page on hiring cabs).
    • Consider how much alcohol you have had – it can affect your judgement of people and situations and change your perspective.
    • Don’t accept drinks from strangers or leave your drink unattended.
    • Keep your personal belongings close to you and keep expensive items out of sight, particularly in bars and restaurants. Try not to carry too many valuables.
    • Do not walk about displaying your mobile phone, it is easy to grab.
    • Look out for your friends. Make sure you know where they are and keep in touch to make sure everyone gets home safely.

    [back to top]

    6. Do I need insurance?

    We strongly recommend that all students take out both medical (see below) and personal belongings insurance for the length of the study abroad period. This will protect you should your luggage go missing, your laptop be lost or your wallet get stolen. Make sure you keep the documents safe and know how to claim.

    Keep traveller’s cheque receipts separate from the actual cheques and make a photocopy of your passport and any other important documents. It is not necessary to carry your passport with you at all times, only when travelling outside the UK. If you do lose it, it’s easier to get a replacement if you have a copy.
    [back to top]

      7. Do I need to pay for medical care?

      Medical services are widely available but free healthcare under the NHS is only available for residents and certain EU nationals.  Short term visitors (under 6 months) will be charged for all but emergency treatment.

      We strongly advise that you consult your medical insurance provider to see if your policy covers you overseas and if it covers emergency expenses such as evacuation/repatriation. If you do not already have overseas medical insurance coverage, you should purchase this for your period of study in the UK.
      [back to top]

      8. If I get sick, who can I talk to for advice and where can I buy medicine?

      First point of contact is the NHS website or see a pharmacist in a chemist.

      If you are here for only one semester then you will not be able to register with a doctor. You can find a Walk-in Clinic on the NHS website under "More services" on the homepage. These are clinics you can just turn up to and wait to see the doctor or nurse and then pay on the spot.

      The biggest pharmacy chain is Boots, which has branches all over London. There are also numerous smaller pharmacies and you can buy basic medication like painkillers in most supermarkets.
      [back to top]

      9. What is public transport like in London?

      There is an extensive network of underground and overground trains and buses in London.  These are all maintained and run by Transport for London and are safe and convenient. We recommend all students get an Oyster card, which makes getting around town really quite cheap.
      [back to top]

      10. How do I get a student travel card (Oyster)?

      You can apply to TFL online for a student Oyster card once you’re fully enrolled as a student of London Metropolitan University.  You’ll enrol during orientation week so you can’t apply for your Student Oyster before you get to London.  As it will take a couple of weeks after applying to receive the card we recommend that you get a standard adult Oyster card as soon as you arrive in London as you’ll start saving money straight away. Either use pay-as-you-go on an Oyster card (cheaper than cash), or buy a 7-day travelcard.
      [back to top]

      11. What should I do about a mobile phone?

      You may be able to use your own mobile phone if it has ‘roaming’ enabled, check with your provider. However, this is expensive. We recommend getting a UK mobile, you can get a pay-as-you-go phone and sim card for around £15-20. There are many network providers with high street shops or visit  The Carphone Warehouse, also on the high street, which carries all networks and brands. 

      We also recommend that you use Skype to keep in touch with home. It’s cheap and it’s easy!

      Alternatively, get an international calling card from a newsagent for cheap call rates. Outward international dialling codes from the UK can be found here:

      E.g. to dial the USA from the UK dial 00 1, to call the UK from the USA dial 011 44
      [back to top]

      12. Will electrical items from home work in the UK? Do I need a converter? 

      The voltage used in Britain is 240 Volts AC at 50HZ. Most power sockets are designed for standard 3-pin square plugs. 

      To use an appliance from home you will need an adaptor, available from electrical shops, hardware stores and Boots the Chemist.

      [back to top]

      13. What is the weather like? What clothes should I bring?

      Britain has a temperate climate and London is one of the mildest areas in the UK.  However, the weather can be unpredictable; Londoners get used to carrying sunglasses and an umbrella to be prepared for anything! Our top tip? Layers! You will need a warm waterproof coat but expect to be in a t-shirt when you get onto the tube or into a sunny park.
      [back to top]

      14. Should I bring my own bedding, towels, hairdryers etc to the UK?

      Of course it’s up to you but it’s simple and cheap to buy these things here, so we normally recommend that you save yourself the trouble of carrying them over. Usually the simplest place to buy these things is from one of the big chain stores.

      The main supermarkets, which not only sell food etc but often cheap bedding and towels and sometimes electricals too, are Sainsbury’s, Tesco, Asda, Morrisons and Waitrose.

      Bedding, towels and electricals can also be bought from supermarkets or clothes/home stores ranging from department stores like John Lewis or Debenhams, to cheap shops like Primark and Argos. 
      [back to top]

      15. Can I get help finding a job in London, volunteering opportunities or general careers advice?

      Yes, the Career Development and Employment Service is part of Student Services, located on the first floor of the Tower Building.  They can help with everything from finding a part-time job or volunteering opportunity, to brushing up your CV and planning what to do after you graduate. 

      Don’t forget that if you intend to work or volunteer or intern during your study period, you MUST get a PBS Tier 4 Student Visa before entering the UK.
      [back to top]

      16. When will I get my course choices confirmed/get my timetable?

      Your courses will be confirmed and your timetable provided during orientation week. Up to this point we will regularly check module registrations submitted to us and contact you if there are any problems. If we do not contact you, then we are registering you for your first choice modules. Please ensure that your modules have been accepted for transfer to your home university.
      [back to top]

      17. Will I need to buy lots of books?

      Reading lists for each module can be seen in the module description in the module catalogue. However, we don't recommend buying any books in advance as most set texts will be held in one of our libraries for your use. You may have to buy a few important textbooks but, in general, students do not spend much money on books.
      [back to top]

      18. What free stuff can I do in London?

      Many London museums and art galleries are free, some special exhibitions will be ticketed but students usually qualify for reduced entry. Here are some of the larger, better known institutions:

      National Gallery -

      Tate Britain -

      Tate Modern -

      Science Museum -

      British Museum -

      Natural History Museum -

      Victoria and Albert Museum -

      You can also explore places like the Southbank, all the famous markets and so many other things, it’s impossible to list them all, although some have tried:

      [back to top]

      19. How can I get discounts?

      An international student identity card (ISIC) will provide you with discounts at several sites and attractions in both London and the rest of Europe. They can be purchased from local travel agents, for example STA Travel:

      You could also get a NUS extra card which is the most widely recognised proof of student status in the UK. Apply via the Student Union.

      For cheaper theatre tickets, you can arrive an hour before the performance with your ISIC/NUS card and queue for available seats at discount prices or select the student option when booking online. Also try the half price booth in Leicester Square (cash only).

      Student ID cards will ensure a discount at most mainstream cinemas but it’s also worth seeking out some smaller venues.
      [back to top]

      20. How do I get a council tax exemption certificate?

      You can get council tax exemption certificates from your Hub.
      [back to top]

      21. If I leave the UK to travel, what paperwork do I need to return?

      You will not usually be required to show any documents on re-entry to the UK if you meet all 3 of these requirements:

      1. The last time you were given permission to stay in the UK it was for more than 6 months
      2. You will re-enter the UK before your UK visa runs out
      3. Your circumstances have not changed since you got your visa.


      However, it is advisable to carry in your hand luggage:

      1. An enrolment letter showing duration of your course (request from your Registry), proof of fees paid and UK address
      2. Proof you have enough money to support yourself (your bank statements/letter from your sponsor)


      If you were given permission to enter/remain in the UK for 6 months or less you need to carry a recent proof of enrolment letter which confirms that you still have the remaining duration of your course to complete in the UK.
      [back to top]

      22. What are the links to all the important University webtools, student services etc?

      Go to Metranet, the quicklinks section and the Students section will have everything you need, including Webmail, Evision, Examtrack, Student Services...
      [back to top]

      23. I have lost my student ID card – what now?

      New student ID cards cost £12. You must go to the cashiers’ office in the Tower building, pay £12 and get a receipt. Then take this receipt to your Hub and they will be able to print a new card immediately.

      If your ID card and/or travel card has been stolen, you should report this to the police. You can do this online:

      Once you have your crime reference number, you need to contact Transport for London (Oyster card only) and your Hub (Student ID card only). Stolen ID cards are replaced free of charge by the university.
      [back to top]

      24. Where do I hand in my papers to be marked?

      Unless otherwise indicated, you should hand in coursework to your Hub. Please read the information online about Coursework and Exams. Papers that are handed in late will be capped at 40%. Remember to download a coversheet from your Evision account for every piece of coursework that you hand in and make sure you receive a confirmation of submission email to your university email account.

      [back to top]

      25. Can I come into the office to ask a question?

      Yes, we’re here to help. Office hours are 11-1 and 3-5 for drop in. If you can’t make it during these hours, please email us for an appointment.
      [back to top]

      26. When will I get my results/transcripts? Can I get extra copies?

      We send these out once grades are released by the University. This happens in March (for autumn), July (for spring) and September (reassessments). We will send them to your school/group you applied through or directly to you if you applied independently. We supply a copy for you and one for your school. If you require any further copies, they must be requested and paid for. See the Returning home tab for more information.
      [back to top]

      This page introduces you to what previous students have thought and learnt about London.  


      I truly enjoyed my time at London Met University! It really did meet my expectations plus more! I thought that London Met had a great set of professors working on the staff. I felt that I had a great connection with my professors and having a smaller class setting was perfect. Having a small number of students in each class made it easy to learn and also made it a lot easier to comment in class. Over all I had a wonderful experience at London Met and if given the opportunity to study there again I would in a heartbeat!

      Lucas Liley - Boise State University (through USAC) - Spring semester 2013/14


      Mikael Redmond, CSU through USAC, Spring 2011

      After spending January through May in London from California, Mikael wrote up his views and experiences from London.

      Beth Arsenault, Hood College through USAC, Autumn 09/10

      This is Beth's blog of her London semester, reflecting on her experiences in town and travelling around Europe

      Michael Flatt, San Diego State University, Spring 08/09

      "Studying abroad in London, England was the single best decision I have made while in college."

      Mike has written this brilliant guide to the whole experience, everything you could want to know from a visitor's perspective.

      Shannon Dempsey, Millersville University 07/08

      Shannon stayed in Nido Accommodation through the duration of her Study Abraod Experience (full year), and has developed a King's Cross Area Guide for future students to use.

      Miriam Kuhn, London Metropolitan University

      As an exchange student from London to New York, Miriam realized how difficult it is to find reasonably priced deals and therefore came up with a guide for future Study Abroad Students.