Jewellery Making with Metal and Resin (short course)
Why study this course?
This course aims to provide you with enough skills to work confidently on both metal and resin to realise your own designs
This short course will focus on basic fabrication techniques on metal and simple, easy-to-make shapes and forms and we'll also explore the use of additives and colours and how to embed objects in resin.
We encourage you to bring your own sketches, designs, photographs, found objects or small items you would like embedded in resin and lots of enthusiasm for making!
Starting with basic metal techniques such as cutting, drilling, filling, soldering and finishing, you'll be looking into different types of resin, their properties, how to use it safely, measuring and mixing, removing air bubbles, using additives, embedding porous and non-porous objects, colouring, finishing, and attaching metal findings.
Finally, we'll be learning about basic mould making, and in particular, open molds (ie objects with at least one flat surface and no undercuts). We'll be using milliput or similar material to make basic shapes, or using found objects that can be used for mould making.
The course is suitable for beginners.
|Course dates||Autumn dates coming soon!|
|Length||One day a week for ten sessions|
|Day and time||Saturday, 11am to 5pm|
|Maximum class size||10|
A 20% discount is available for:
- those who are registered as unemployed and in receipt of Jobseeker’s Allowance (JSA), Employment and Support Allowance (ESA) or Universal Credit.
- those whose sole or main income is a Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) state retirement pension
- those who are registered as disabled and in receipt of Disability Living Allowance (DLA) or Personal Independence Payment (PIP)
- full-time and part-time UK students on credit-bearing courses
- London Metropolitan University students on year-long day courses
- London Metropolitan University alumni members
- London Metropolitan University staff
If you're eligible for the 20% discount, please contact us before booking.
In addition to the course fee there will be an additional charge for tools and materials of approximately £10. Some materials are provided but students will be expected to purchase some tools during the course. A saw frame (£5 to £46) is needed for the first session.
Students are encouraged to bring their own sketches, designs, photographs, found objects or small items they would like embedded in resin.
Please read our terms and conditions before booking.
How to apply
Booking for this course isn't open at this time as the dates of the next intake are not yet confirmed. Please get in touch for further information or register your interest to receive notification as soon as booking opens.