Research at London Met

FAQ - frequently asked questions

How do I apply?

How to apply for MPhil/PhD

Or a hard copy may be requested by emailing:

or by writing to:

The Research and Postgraduate Office
London Metropolitan University
Room AB1-26
Tower Building
166-220 Holloway Road
London N7 8DB

What is a proposal?

The research proposal is a very important part of the application. The proposal will help us to understand your research interests and determine whether we have sufficient expertise in the area to provide adequate supervision for your project. It will allow us to assess the potential of the research project and will serve as an indicator of your ability to undertake doctoral studies. The initial proposal you submit will not commit you to an irrevocable course of research but rather it will serve as a foundation for further developing the research.

More information about writing a proposal

How much are the fees?

The current fees list

When can I start?

There are two points of entry, October or February.

Application deadlines

What is distance learning?

Distance learning involves spending part of each year at London Met and part of the year away from the University, probably in your country of residence. Supervisors and students keep in regular contact through face-to-face meetings as well as through email and other electronic means.

Can I do an online PhD?

A PhD is unlike an undergraduate or taught Masters degree. For an MPhil/PhD, the student must conduct original, independent research. How this is done will depend on the area of research and the methods agreed with the supervisors. Some of the research and employability skills training may be undertaken on-line.

What research areas/subjects are available?

London Met offers a wide range of subject areas. A good place to start looking is to consult the Faculties and research page to find out about the research being undertaken and look for a  at London Met. Through these pages, you can contact staff members whose research interests are complementary to yours.

How do I interrupt my studies?

If you want to interrupt your studies, you must fill out an  and submit it to the Research and Postgraduate office in advance of the time you want to intermit. Generally, intermissions are only approved for 6 months at a time and are not approved retrospectively. If you are an overseas student on a Tier 4 visa, you must seek advice from our visa compliance office, email

What is the researcher development programme?

The Researcher Development Programme provides a range of training and development opportunities for research staff and postgraduate research students at London Metropolitan University. Courses are available for all levels of experience from established and advanced researchers to new researchers. The courses are designed to support researchers in developing a full range of transferable professional, personal, research, and career skills and knowledge.

How often should I meet my supervisor?

The pattern and timing of meetings should be arranged and agreed between the student and their supervisor(s). Generally, if you are a full time student, you can expect to have 44 hours of contact per year with your supervisor and 22 hours per year if you are a part time student. These hours may take the form of face-to-face meetings, email correspondence, and reading and commenting on written material.

How can I update my personal details?

You can update your personal details on Evision.

How do I upgrade?

Full-time students must transfer within 3 years and part-time students within 4.5 years. It is therefore recommended that full-time students apply to transfer by the end of their 2nd year of study, and part-time students by the end of their 3rd year of study.

RD2T form to apply for transfer from MPhil to PhD

What is the difference between an MPhil and a PhD?

The MPhil and the PhD are both research degrees. They are awarded by the University after the successful presentation of a thesis based on an original piece of research completed under the supervision of University staff.

Students generally register for an MPhil degree and then apply to transfer to a PhD.

To obtain a PhD the candidate is expected to investigate a topic and make an original contribution to knowledge. Research at MPhil level should represent an extension of existing knowledge, although the demands of originality and sustained enquiry are less than those for a PhD.

How long will my studies take?

A full-time student normally reaches the standard for MPhil within two years of registration and for PhD within three years.

The minimum and maximum periods of registration are as follows:

full-time minimum: 18 months, maximum: 36 months
part-time minimum: 30 months, maximum: 54 months

PhD (via transfer from MPhil registration and including the period
of MPhil registration)
full-time minimum: 24 months, maximum: 48 months
part-time minimum: 36 months, maximum: 72 months