Year 2 group project
Personal project (Years 2 and 3)
- portfolio development and participation in portfolio reviews
- exhibitions at The Cass
- pop-up exhibitions and pop-up magazines sales
- participation in Berlin Fashion Film Festival (via submission)
- independent magazines (via submission)
- internships (via application)
- Metro Imaging mentorship
- digital workflow and post-production
- fashion photography: composition and studio lighting
- portraiture: composition and studio lighting
- still life and advertising: composition and studio lighting
- documentary: composition & shooting techniques
- location lighting (mixing daylight and flash)
- street photography
- shooting large format
- experimental analogue techniques
- creating magazines layouts in InDesign
- video shooting, lighting and editing
- research methodologies and text analysis
- magazines analysis, development and planning
- reading an image and constructing narratives
- exhibitions display and critique
- art direction and styling
- pitching your style: working with clients, finding commissions, liaising with agents and building your team
- portfolio preparation and reviews
- how to write a CV and cover letters
Studio Photo 01: The Subjective Eye
Ania Dabrowska and Mick Williamson
This photography studio concentrates on developing your professional practice within a fine art context, preparing you for your career within photography and the visual arts. Understanding the meaning of photographs beyond its immediate subject matter will help you to access the full power of the medium, where subject, author and audience come together.
Studio Photo 02: Beyond the Surface
Paola Leonardi and Heather McDonough
Beyond the Surface is a photography studio that shows you how to mix art with work and use your own contemporary imagery towards a career in photography. Get your aesthetic identity right - join this studio!
Studio Art 03: The Hole in the Screen
Patrick Ward and Jonathan Whitehall
The Hole and the Screen is a lively contemporary art studio focused on how negative space works in moving image in art theory and in art practice. Video, film, sound and photography all play their part. All-comers welcome!
Studio Art 04: Open Field
Ben Cain and Janette Parris
Open Field is a very special art studio dedicated to providing art students with hands-on work-related learning alongside artists as they undertake art residencies at the Cass. All Year 2 art students will pass through this studio for one of the residencies.
Studio Art 05: I Love Painting Things
Bob and Roberta Smith, Andrea Medjesi-Jones
This art studio is aimed at art students who want to paint! That’s any aspect of paint, not just formal work on canvas, but also painting sculptures, ceramics and using paint in performance. This is the one for you!
Studio Art 06: Making the Stone Stony
Rosemarie McGoldrick and Peter Fillingham
We love art, talking about art and making it! If your work is about “the life of stuff”, how artists relate to ‘things’ differently from objects and non-objects, then Making the Stone Stony is the studio for you.