Gian Carlo Rossi
Gian Carlo works extensively abroad, regularly visiting the Gdańsk International Shakespeare Festival directing graduate student productions and leading workshops. He has also led workshops in Poznan, Gyula in Hungary and Ostrava in the Czech Republic.
Gian Carlo Rossi
Gian Carlo Rossi is the Head of Art with The Sir John Cass School of Art, Architecture and Design.
Gian Carlo has worked as a professional lighting designer in contemporary dance and theatre since 1990 with such companies as the Rosemary Butcher Dance Company, Fin Walker, Gill Clarke and the Gandinis and Lightwork. Previous to this he worked extensively in small/middle scale touring on national and international tours with such companies as Eastern Angles, the Traverse Theatre and Teatr Blik in Poland.
Gian Carlo's area of specialism is drama, theatre and performance and he teaches across a range of disciplines, both theory and practice based.
His research interest lies in postmodern spatial practice, an investigation and exploration into the means by which the language of space can open up performance practice. The work draws very much on philosophical and architectural notions of space and the application of this theory to canonical theatrical texts.
Gian Carlo works extensively abroad, regularly visiting the Gdańsk International Shakespeare Festival, directing graduate student productions and leading workshops. He has also led workshops in Poznan, Gyula in Hungary and Ostrava in the Czech Republic.
- Gdańsk 2005: conference paper The jewel that we find... Shakespeare, Gilles Deleuze and Measure for Measure: Rhizome Theatre as part of the International Summer Academy of Theatre and Drama (Associated partner European Commission: Education, Audiovisual and Culture Executive Agency)
- Measure for Measure (co-directed with Lucy Richardson) Gdańsk International Shakespeare Festival 2005
- Macbeth Gdańsk International Shakespeare Festival 2006: Ten Years of European Shakespeare in Poland (Associated partner European Commission: Education, Audiovisual and Culture Executive Agency)
- Project Aleph: Vertigo/I live with black people (in collaboration with Lucy Richardson) housed by The Facility at London Metropolitan University in April 2007
- A Midsummer Night’s Post-Modern Madness Gdańsk International Shakespeare Festival 2007: Dolne Miasto Rules 11th Shakespeare Festival in Poland (Associated partner European Commission: Education, Audiovisual and Culture Executive Agency)
- More Than A Woman, Gdańsk International Shakespeare Festival 2008 and Gyula Shakespeare Festival 2009
- Oh that this too too solid flesh… Gdańsk International Shakespeare Festival 2009 Beyond the Stage – new trends in European Theatre(Associated partner European Commission: Education, Audiovusual and Culture Executive Agency)
- Workshops: Exploring Shakespeare Through Play Poznan, Ostrava and Gdańsk 2009/2010/2011
- Workshops: Messing about with Mrozek: Practice-based approaches to modernist texts Gdansk 2012