Before moving into academia in 2011, Dr Marcus Astley worked for over 20 years in businesses in the UK and Europe. He has expertise in business development and executive recruitment, and extensive experience with business start-ups. Marcus established an interim management business in 1998, running it successfully for 13 years. At its peak this firm generated annual turnover of £4.2 million with a team of 10 staff.
Dr Marcus Astley
Marcus returned to academic study in 2011 and was awarded a PhD from London Metropolitan University in 2015. His thesis, for which he gathered data from expert contacts developed during his time in business, explored how organisations achieve competitive advantage by configuring and mapping dialogue among their stakeholders, including their employees.
Before joining the staff at London Met, Marcus lectured at Oxford Brookes University where he delivered a range of modules, covering topics including globalisation, entrepreneurship and organisational change.
Marcus is a Fellow of the Higher Education Academy (FHEA) and has been awarded a PG Cert with Distinction in Learning and Teaching in Higher Education.
He is also an Academic Associate of the Chartered Institute of Personnel Development (Assoc CIPD) and works for the CIPD in a voluntary capacity as an Enterprise Adviser.
Marcus is the course leader for the Human Resource Management MA, Human Resource Management Postgraduate Diploma and the Business Management and Human Resources Management BA.
He has designed and delivers leadership modules, professional development components and work placement modules on the MBA and masters programmes.
Marcus’ research interests include:
- leading organisational change
- organisational culture
- dynamic capabilities
- stakeholder theory
- Astley, M. (2015) 'Orchestrated stakeholder dialogue: its place in dynamic capability theory and its practical value for business' thesis submitted for PhD: London Metropolitan University.
- Astley, M., Bartlett, D., Burden, P., Holbeche, L., Rodgers, C., Varney, S. and Warwick, R. (2016) 'Organisational Agility: Implications for progressive leadership', February 2016 Progressive Leadership White Paper Series (ISSN 2396-8591).
- Astley, M., Bartlett, D. (2016) 'Blockchain Technology: a potential enabler of dynamic capabilities?', A British Academy of Management developmental paper for the British Academy of Management September 2016 Annual Conference.
- Astley, M., and Bartlett, D. (2020) 'KPIs: Charting The Changing Agenda For Business', A BAM developmental paper for the British Academy of Management September 2020 Conference in the Cloud, delivered by Marcus Astley at the Conference.
- Astley, M. and Cherkashyna, O. (2020) 'Developing Diversity Strategies using HR Analytics', accessible via ResearchGate.
Marcus presented 'KPIs: Charting The Changing Agenda For Business', a British Academy of Management Developmental Paper for the British Academy of Management September 2020 Conference in the cloud.
Dr Marcus Astley
Senior Lecturer in Human Resource Management