Returning students


Some host universities will send out your transcript automatically, while in others you must request them before you leave. Make sure you know how it works at your host university before the end of your stay. Please contact the international office of your host university to confirm. 

Remember that your modules from America and the West Indies will be transferred as credits only, your grades will not be transferred. Grades from modules taken in Japan will be transferred. These modules will be listed separately on Evision, under the section 'Credit Awarded for Prior Learning.'

If you want extra copies of your transcript (we use the original in our University records) you must request these specially while you are still abroad.

Modules for your next semester

Make sure you have finalised the modules that you intend to take when you return for the next semester at London Metropolitan University. You should do this in December, in conjunction with your Hub.

After you're back come and see us

Visit the International Programmes Office to discuss your experience - tell us if there's anything we could improve or if you just want to share what a great time you had!

Check that we have received your transcript of results.

Impress all your friends with tall tales of your adventures, and maybe volunteer to help us encourage more students to study abroad in the future.

Continuing the experience

If you have enjoyed your semester abroad and would like to continue the experience on your return to London Met, get in touch with the International Programmes Office. We would be happy to put you in contact with newly arrived exchange students from the States and Japan, who would be interested in meeting you and getting your advice as they settle into life in London and at London Met.

Returning abroad

If you aspire to return to your host country for a summer job or as a graduate, your first consideration should be whether you are eligible for a visa. Visas are usually harder to obtain once you are no longer an exchange student. However, there are various established schemes which you could investigate.

BUNAC coordinates Work America, offering you the opportunity to spend a summer working at an American summer camp. 

The JET Programme welcomes graduates interested in teaching English in Japan.

The UK has agreements with certain countries for a Youth Mobility Scheme, allowing citizens aged 18-30 the opportunity to live and work abroad for one year. The USA is unfortunately not part of the scheme but both Canada and Japan offer a limited number of these visas.

The British Council offers graduates the chance to work as an English Language Assistant in a variety of countries.