The Fulbright Commission

The Fulbright Commission offers the only bi-national transatlantic academic awards programme between the US and the UK.

It offers scholarship awards and summer programmes for UK citizens to study, lecture or research in the US.  It also is a valuable source of information about studying in the US, both on full degree programmes and short term study abroad.  The pre-departure pages will be particularly useful for outgoing exchange students!

Education USA

The Fulbright Commission is part of the Education USA partnership.

Education USA is the U.S. Government source on higher education opportunities in the USA. Their website has resources about preparing for your visa application, finances and more.


Each year BUTEX awards eight scholarships to UK students studying abroad in the USA or Canada, either for a semester or a whole academic year.

The value of each scholarship is £500 and will be paid to the winners once they have arrived and registered at their host university.


JASSO offers scholarship for qualified international students accepted by Japanese universities or graduate schools under the student exchange agreement on a short-term basis from about three months to one year.


If you fancy working or volunteering abroad over the summer, try BUNAC. They have a wide range of opportunities available.